Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Chris King Service Centre UK?
  • gil_

Got a rear hub that I need a shell swap on..

Guess I could use Bromley but noticed these guys had popped up and assume they must be directly associated with King

Anybody used them with good or bad results, before I send over £350 worth of hubs off to a random address 😕

coatesy
    Free Member

Evolution Imports/Bromley Bikes are the official service centre if that’s what you’re asking, if not then i’m guessing you’ve missed something like a name and adress from your post.

gil_

The bromley connection was what I thought until I saw this recently…

http://www.chrisking.co.uk/

Thoughts?

toppers3933
    Free Member

id still go with bromley. if it was a bike shop then yeah maybe, but it seems to be some bloke with an address and a website. thats a lot of faith with a lot of money!

Big-Pete
    Free Member

They are going to build the best wheels you will ever own, yet they don’t know how long it takes to build a wheel???

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

“We only service CHRIS KING componets!”

what about chris king components, wont they touch them?
    According to their update in bottom left of screen theyve serviced one hub. Wonder when they’ll be floating on the stock market.

Probably totally legit but doesnt inspire confidence.

gil_

At least it’s not just me being a bit unsure…

It’s just a straight hub/shell swap which Bromley have said is basically a rear hub service, I know they have been around for years and must know the hubs inside out but the other site seems quite convincing

Hoped somebody had used them (Chris King UK) then I might trust sending the hubs off, sure there wouldn’t be a problem but you always wonder

Guess nobody has used their services?

tollah
    Free Member

Gil I’ll do it for you if you want to fire the bits down to me. I’ve got a service tool.

mrfrosty
    Free Member

I had my rear hub serviced by bromley/evolution last week. No probs quick turn around and its like new now. After many years/miles.

gil_

Touched by the hand of Sheldon 😯

I am not worthy…

Sure you’ve got more than enough on your plate without having to swap hubs around

Not sure if it might need any parts, it’s a S/H hub which seems fine into a new shell, don’t think it’s previous owner showed it a lot of love but all seems fine inside

kaesae
    Free Member

The only real questions I have is, how do both companies compare on price?

Also is there anything negative said about the company online? does a google search provide any reason to be sceptical about the company.

All to often companies nowadays are rubbished for no good reason, I don’t think that you can judge the quality of work done, simply by where it was carried out? 😯

A lot of bike mechanics don’t really care about the work they do, yes a lot of mechanics do care, but lets face it there are threads on here all the time with horror stories about bike shops.

To a lot of mechanics it’s simply a job, that website has a feel of something more, in this day and age someone having a go, at something other than someone else, is rare to say the least.

Spread the love peeps, spread the love 😀

gil_

That’s what I’m trying to do but everybody seems to be coming back with a negatie feeling

Price wize Bromley want £44 and Chris King UK are on an offer at £32

I have had a little communication with King UK but nothing off the back of asking about their relationship with King USA

Site looks quite nice beyond a few typos and I would like to think their work is of a good standard but just wanted to see if anybody agreed or had experience with them

kaesae
    Free Member

Tell you what I have an old Hope Pro 2 that needs stripped down and the bearings changed.

I will get in touch with the company and ask them if they will service the Pro 2 rear, if they agree and they might not I will then check the quality of the bearings and make sure that they work as they should.

I will also post up a video of how terrible the Pro ” rear is, to be honest I could do without spending extra cash just now, however I would like to see this company get a fair chance.

How does that sound to you?

😉

dirtyrider
    Free Member

ive used

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/workshop/tartybikes_chris_king_hub_shell_swap/c34p11101.html

less than 48 hours from them getting to my door, was my own supplied hubshell and hub

andrewh
    Free Member

FWIW I’ve bought a fair few bits from Bromley and they’ve been very good. Howard is the chap who built my bike for me and it’s been excellent.

No idea about the other guys.

gil_

I don’t think Bromley are “in question” I am sure they have lots of happy customers, I just wanted to give the “new guys” a chance too

Tarty bikes deal seems very good, just over £5 for a shell swap seems an amazing deal

Kaesae, thanks for the offer but looks like I will give Tarty a chance on this one, the S/H hub seems fine internally without too much wear as do the bearings

Thanks for everybodys help, will report back on Tarty’s deal

tollah
    Free Member

No probs Gil but the offers there should you need it.

kaesae
    Free Member

Does anyone have any old Chris King hub bearings? I wouldn’t mind having a look at some.

gil_

Tarty bikes have done me proud, shell swapped and returned in under a week, just finished building it into a wheel 🙂

If your looking to swap shells and don’t want to bother Sheldon 😉

I highlty recommend Tarty Bikes

kaesae
    Free Member

I sent a wheel into the chris king service centre uk, I’m curious to see what they do with it and to be honest I would like to give them a chance.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGRwmrS7vFY[/video]

LoCo
    Free Member

Grinder on your ‘clean’ bench? Naughty boy! 😉

kaesae
    Free Member

Bench mounted grinders are awsome, I had to modify my mates chain device on his Foes DHS mono, 7 attemps and some very accurate grinding and it works perfectly.

I use that grinder all the time to make tools on the spot, when I get a tricky job in.

I love my tools, I see them as ways of solving problems and enabling me to make a bike run more efficiently.

LoCo do you have a work shop for whole bikes? and do you service your own bike ❓

LoCo
    Free Member

Only joking 😀 Yes I’ve got two the Loco unit and my one at home.

Have always serviced my own bikes the only thing I don’t do is bulid wheels as I know guys that can build them quicker than me and don’t really have the time anymore with the business and a 11 month old at home 😀

kaesae
    Free Member

I have quite a good home workshop, spent 4 years collecting my tools, quite a few of which I’ve designed and also made myself.

I prefer servicing frames doing the bearings facing BB’s etc, for me it much more fun checking and tuning up.

I also service forks and brakes but it is messy work, mostly for my mates and they pay in beer.

Congratulations on the arrival of your little one, I hope one day I have kids. Seems more important to me than anything else.

Good luck with your company, my emails in my contact details, if you want to discuss working together let me know.

Kael.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Chris King Service Centre UK?’ is closed to new replies.