Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Chris King ISO hub conversion
  • johnny63

Would anyone know where I’d get these parts:-

PHB569. ISO rear 142×12 axle
    PHB783. ISO front 100×12 axle
    PHB702. low profile front adjustment clamp

Looking to convert some older QR Chris King hubs from a set of 26er wheels I have to thru axle – I’ve contacted King and they say it is possible but that I need above parts but they’re discontinued so they no longer stock them.

So just seeing if anyone might know a source for them ?

TIA,

Johnny

Alpha1653

Have you tried Saddleback? I’ve always found them to be super helpful so that would be my first port of call.

johnny63

Spot on – will drop them a line tomorrow – thanks.

squirrelking
    Free Member

If you don’t get any joy finding the official kit then I’d imagine @kayla1 could sort you out. Did a kit to convert my Hope XC to 15mm for very reasonable money.

andrewh
    Free Member

A rear axle is coming up £100ish on Google (not checked if actually in stock!)
    Might be cheaper and easier to sell your hub/wheel for £x, then if a replacement hub/wheel can be had for less than £x+100 use that instead?
    I got lucky a Tune Princess axle came up on ebay the other week for £20 so I snapped it up, if not is a rush maybe just set up an ebay alert?
    If you don’t want to faff around building a new wheel buy a whole thru-axle hub (second hand probably) swap the internals with yours (a doddle on CK hubs, far easier than wheel building) and then sell on the new assembled QR hubs, probably less cost than just buying new axles.
    Also loads of 12/15mm front adapters out there, maybe best going for 15mm to avoid this coming up again next time you change forks…

Houns

Try AVT

wzzzz
    Free Member

What you need is a friend with a lathe. Dead easy to knock them up.

Aidy
    Free Member

I’ve contacted King and they say it is possible but that I need above parts but they’re discontinued so they no longer stock them.

That seems a bit disappointing for hubs which cost a fair bit to start with.

nixie

That seems a bit disappointing for hubs which cost a fair bit to start with.

And ones that would be spot on for gravel usage.

singlespeedstu

What you need is a friend with a lathe. Dead easy to knock them up.

King axles are a little more complicated than making an end cap.
    They need quite fine threads on them for the tensioning end cap and the bearings run on the axle it’s self.
    Then there’s the end cap as well.
    Not saying it couldn’t be done but it wouldn’t be straight forwards.

As Houns said try Aspirevelotech.

I’ve converted a pair in the past and it wasn’t cheap back then.
    I also have a King front QR hub (small flange) that I refused to pay that much for the conversion bits so it’s now just sat there in the hope a second hand kit comes up at some point.

johnny63

The hubs are built into 26er wheels, and I just don’t see any value in selling them – they haven’t missed a beat in the 10 years I’ve had them and so I use them on a ti456 that I keep as a run round.

They’re too good for that – hence was looking to convert to thru axle and then get built up on a set of 650b rims to use on my gravel* bike.

(*god I hate using that word just to describe a variant of a ‘cross bike… grumble grumble)

Anyhow, I’ll try Kayla and Aspire too and see what they have to say.

Once again, thanks for all the help.

wzzzz
    Free Member

I haven’t seen the axles but

Could you bore out the axle (on a lathe) to 12mm and turn up 2x 3.5mm spacers and glue on each end. The front will just need boring out?

johnny63

Way beyond my capabilities, Wzzz

But will contact Kayla as AVT & Saddleback don’t have the bits in stock, so worth seeing what Kayla says

kayla1
    Free Member

Yeah, it’s way past what we can do here, sorry. It’s no help at all but I’d be taking this bit of their website-

“Your Chris King hubs are long term investments that will last through the years and across bikes and drivetrains, so they need to be able to be kept current!”

up with them and see what they say. It’s all well and good them saying that to get a sale but they have to be able to back it up.

nickjb
    Free Member

Totally agree. If you are paying that much in the first place then I’d want more support. Failing that (as will probably happen) sell them and buy something equally functional but much cheaper.

midlifecrashes

If it helps anyone, I have a 135×12 ISO rear axle sitting in my pen pot, free if you have a frame that can use it.

P20

singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/chris-king-iso-hub-conversion/#post-12127621

They won’t take road cassettes though. Unless you get the specific 105???

the ISOs are now 20yr old?

johnny63

PM’d you MLC – worth a try so thanks for that

midlifecrashes

Gotcha

jonxmack
    Free Member

I’m also looking for the same thing for my ISO rear hub which has been in a bike which hasn’t seen any use in the last 10+ years, and it seems like the best way to go is something like this PHB819 on AVT. Expensive, but then it’s done!

johnny63

Saddleback emailed me to say they would have the rear axle kit in the new year.

so I’ll try MLC 135 with spacers first and go from there

only front to go

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Chris King ISO hub conversion’ is closed to new replies.