Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Chris king hubs, worth the cost?
  • messiah
    Free Member

How about some real bling in the form of Kappius hubs… 1.5degree pickup!

OrangeLad
    Free Member

How about some real bling in the form of Kappius hubs… 1.5degree pickup!

Beautiful bit of kit those but it takes them over 30 minutes to fit a cassette to the holder and somewhat limited choice of cassette at that.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Is this the time difference between hitting the pedal and the pawls engaging?

Yes. I change between CK on one bike and Crossmaxs on the other. The difference in pickup is clear; it feels like the Mavics have a faulty freehub.

My oldest set of Kings are 8 years old. The bearings get an occasional clean and relube and they are like new inside. So much so I’ve just rerimmed them rather than buy a new set.

I’ve tried Hope, DT, Easton, Mavic; all I can think of. Nothing comes close to the reliabilty and long life of King.

Comments above like “they use standard bearings” show that most folk don’t understand what the King difference is; but they are happy to spout nonsense without the backup of facts.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cynic-al
    Free Member

IMO they are clearly a product for the “I MUST have the best” crew.

“Quick pick-up” FFS what difference does that make?

Anyone having a problem with any other hubs requiring them to be sent back over a 2 year period would have binned them, but CKs aqcuire that mystical magical quality mysteriously….from their price.

and no, I can’t afford them 😛

A 9-year old set you say? WOW!!!! I have xtrs that age and xts from 1990 still running.

theblackmount
    Free Member

Agree with CA on the pick-up. What a load of horseshit – even if it is a nano second quicker, so what.

Also, all this talk of years – WTF? Not a single post re mileage – it’s mileage and conditions that count. FWIW I’ve just put 5000k on a Hope Pro rear (which was a gratis replacement for a Sun Ringle pile of poo – thank you CRC)and that’s been ridden through the worst Scottish conditions imaginable. No problems whatsoever – bearings and Freehub are still tickety boo. And I can batter the internals out with sockets I have in my own toolbox when the need arises.

Nup, not owned a King – never felt “the need.” Have watched other faff about “adjusting” theirs / returning to their LBS…. who invariably never seem to have the correct tools either.

I’d also rate the DT product – part the star ratchet in the rear. Simple but very reliable and not expensive to replace. Only downside to DT is cost and finish isn’t as durable as they PPC them instead of anodising.

njee20
    Free Member

Not saying it makes a real world difference, I wasn’t that fussed by it, but the quicker pick up is very noticeable.

bedmaker

Faster pickup doesn’t suddenly make your life complete but it is definately noticeable and a little nicer than a slower pickup.
    On slow techy stuff is where I like it most, stuff like Balblair where you are picking your way over rocks.

Only had my Kings a few months so can’t comment about longevity.

dreednya

I’m a bit brutal on rear hubs, years ago I bought Pro 3s thinking the stainless steel bearings wouldn’t need replacing often and not a King as recommended by my LBS. In three years I had to replace the bearings 4 times at a cost of 60-70 a go. I bought a bolt-thru fork and changed both hubs to CKs and three years later, apart from occasionally having to tighten them up to take the tiny amounts of play out of them, they have been faultless. I’m now saving money with these hubs :). I appreciate that riding styles differ and most other riders probably do not wear out the bearings in their rear hubs as quick as I did, but CK hubs are working for me and wished I’d bitten the bullet and bought them sooner.

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Chris king hubs, worth the cost?’ is closed to new replies.