Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Chris King Bottom Brackets – Are they really worth 3* the price of an XTBB?
  • Daffy

After genuine user feedback if people have any??

Cheers,

M.

d45yth
    Free Member

I use the CK ones and if I had to use something else would probably choose Hope (what I used to use)…most other BB’s are more or less disposable. I always regrease mine when doing any other maintainence.

EDIT: I’ve one here in my spares box that has 1000’s of miles on it…I only changed because there was a noise coming from my bike that I thought was it. After changinging it though, turned out to be something else!

Northwind

Not quite answering your question- I’ve not used the King BB. But I don’t think XTR is worth 10p more than XT, it’s different internally but seems to perform just the same

chalkstorm
    Free Member

I had one fail after a year – changed under warranty. I think they are worth it if you have the grease tool…..but not without (I CBA to keep taking it back to a shop)

monkeyp

XTR bb’s are only £17 from Rose

d45yth
    Free Member

You don’t need the grease tool, that just makes things easier…you can just pop the seal off the bearing.

nickc

Yes and no. They’re nicely made, don’t mind paying a premium for that, but if you’re not particularly hard on kit, or look after your stuff anyway, then I’d say probably not. Having said that I’m not sure mine would last that much longer if I ignored it as much as I ignore the hope one I’ve got ( which seems indestructible regardless of the treatment it gets)

But that’s not why folk buy CK is it?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Probably worth it, I’ve had 2 shitty winters and two ‘summers’ out of mine on the singlespeed, I’d usualy expect 8-14 months from XT, and it was already 2nd hand.

Might go buy the tool at some point…….

Gary_M
    Free Member

If its anything like a ck headset then it’s a definite yes from me. I have a ck headset fitted on my commuting bike, fitted late 2007 and not been touched since, I’ve ridden at least 20,000 miles on the bike through 5 winters and its as smooth as the day it was fitted.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Looked at getting a CK BB a few years ago after getting sick of Shimano BB’s lasting only months.

Ended up getting a Shimano internal square taper BB and nice pimply Middleburn chainset for less than the BB and grease gun. If it ain’t broke….

Just offering another option.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Hope do excellent BBs. They are better sealed and last much longer than XT. Iv never had one wear out.

As for Chris King – Iv never been able to justify buying any of their stuff. Its obsene money for what are, at the end of the day, pretty simple components. Their hubs are craaaaaazy money – who buys them?

If a Chris King BB lasted my entire lifetime it still wouldnt be worth it – Hope (just about) is.

takisawa2

Second hand CK here, on my SS. Been in a few years now. Swinnertons purged the grease for me last summer. Cost £7. It just keeps spinning away merrily. I wouldnt buy a new one though. Too pricey.

Daffy

Cheers for the advice, Gents. Bought a brand new one today for £73.

nickc

Their hubs are craaaaaazy money – who buys them?

There are about 300,000 people worth over a million in this country alone, and you don’t need anything like that money to buy CK regardless of what folk think.

So, answer, millions of folk buy them.

MoreCashThanDash

It’s worth shopping around and not being too fussy – I got one for £67 a couple of months back in the Evans sale as it was “brown” and presumably no one was buying shitty coloured bottom brackets.

Given where it is hidden on the bike, and the fact that I only clean the bike every 3-4 rides, I figured I’d give it a go. No one has yet spotted it.

djflexure

I really fancied a brown one

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Chris King Bottom Brackets – Are they really worth 3* the price of an XTBB?’ is closed to new replies.