Chris Horner on la Vuelta

Home Forum Chat Forum Chris Horner on la Vuelta

Viewing 8 posts - 226 through 233 (of 233 total)
  • Chris Horner on la Vuelta
  • DD, over 40?

#lookinggoodforanoldman
    😉

piemonster

DD, over 40?

#lookingroughforanoldman
    😉

Could it be a case of seeing the effect of rest of the field coming off the drugs? If he’s been clean all the while and used to running clean, as well as being relatively fresh from his early season injury, maybe that was just enough to tip the balance and enable him to take advantage over the rest as they acclimatise to being clean. You can’t just come off drugs without suffering some form of negative physical and mental affect, and will take time for them to get used to their natural performance potential and adjusting their training accordingly. Since the processes to detect drug use have been found out to be completely and utterly ineffective, maybe the ultimate test to determine those who have been riding clean is to look at those who before have not finished anywhere and are suddenly being promoted up the field.

Premier Icon MSP
    Subscriber

There has been some over 40 boxing champions, George Foreman and Bernard Hopkins spring to mind, although I suspect boxing isn’t a shining example of clean sports.

How old was Redgrave when he won his last gold?

DanW

Anyone know of any example of a 40 + athlete dominating ?

Are ultra-athletes of various disciplines not generally in the Horner age range? It is probably a better comparison that to gymnasts and suck like as above but still… winning a grand tour requires a great deal of speed not just endurance

piemonster

Ultra running is an interesting one. A developing sport that anecdotally suits the older athlete.

But that spandex loving Spanish guy is 25, last years winner of the Western States was 29. But then Matt Carpenter set the Leadville record at 42 (?).

How much of the thinking that older geezers and geezerettes are good at it is down to who the sport is popular with?

mrblobby

I think there is some truth to this as runners naturally migrate towards the longer distances (5k, through 10k, half marathon to marathon) as their careers progress. There do seem to be limits to this though. Gabreselassie is still bloody quick at 40, I think 3rd in the Great North Run recently, but then he is one of the greatest of all time!

Edit: I suspect ultrarunning is not a great basis on which to draw conclusions as it’s a bit too niche.

Viewing 8 posts - 226 through 233 (of 233 total)

The topic ‘Chris Horner on la Vuelta’ is closed to new replies.