Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Chris Harris On Cars: LaFerrari, Porsche 918, Mclaren P1 hour-long show.
  • flannol
    Free Member

Chris Harris On Cars

LaFerrari, Porsche 918, Mclaren P1

Tiff Needell special guest

No more is needed to be said.

https://youtu.be/q3YPTkBRaOk

jambalaya
    Free Member

Just subscribed. That looks an interesting channel. Bit late to start watching a 1 hr car show, the wife would not be impressed !

flannol
    Free Member

start with something like ‘killing tyres in a ferrari f12’ or ‘is a bmw 320d all the car you ever need’ to get a real sense for the guy. This is more of an analysis video that you’d appreciate much more when you get to know Chris as a presenter/journalist.

stcolin
    Free Member

I think he is the finest in the business.

spence
    Free Member

Has been for a while now.

Recent Aston, 911 & McLaren test in Bike Wales T shirt.

jimjam
    Free Member

Watched it last night. Loved every minute of it, great to see proper drivers thrashing cars instead of egomaniacal tossers flexing their wankabulary. Fantastic that Chris got the scoop and the endorsment from the manufacturers (especially considering his history with Ferrari).

st colin – Member

I think he is the finest in the business.

It took me a while to warm to him but I would have to agree with that. He still has a tendency to do a bit too much laughing and screaming on occasion but it’s tolerable since he comes across as pretty likeable. I do like watching Henry Catchpole and Jethro Bovingdon too. Randy Pobst too for having a name like a comedy vicar and no b.s driving.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Bloody hell. That was boring. Does anything happen?

He seems awfully pleased with himself doesn’t he.

jimjam
    Free Member

no_eyed_deer

Yeah, if you watch it to the end they turn the cars into camper vans utilising some wacky, idiosyncratic modifications and race them to Merthyr Tydfil. Along the way they crash into each other and one of them breaks down. They conclude that cars are great.

Speeder

no_eyed_deer – Member

Sarcasm?

He seems awfully pleased with himself doesn’t he.

Any idea what he’s just pulled together? 🙄

shifter
    Free Member

“egomaniacal tossers flexing their wankabulary”

Difficult to say that without being it.

jimjam
    Free Member

Easy for you to say.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Any idea what he’s just pulled together?

Literally no idea. It looks like some probably quite nice cars and a lot of dull talk about tyres… and reference to an internet forum about cars… and going to get the tyres fitted… in a garage… and isn’t it SO amazing..?! That we are… actually… fitting these tyres..! That we ACTUALLY got from… Pirelli! No… don’t look at ME! Look at the cars…! THESE cars…! Aren’t they amazing… Aren’t WE amazing..!

I quite like cars, I watch a fair amount of youtubery about them occasionally. I went to Goodwood Festival once and quite enjoyed it.

That really was dull and very self-satisfied. A total turn-off.

Sorry.

It’s an internet forum. I’m allowed to disagree. And you, or others, are allowed to call me a twunt if you like, which you probably will.

Cos I disagree with your view.. 😯

footflaps

That really was dull and very self-satisfied

Did you really expect anything else though?

peterfile
    Free Member

egomaniacal tossers flexing their wankabulary

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Did you really expect anything else though?

Probably not really. Last time I came across this guy in another car video it was all a bit.. Isn’t this SO amazing… I’m actually driving THIS car… In London.. WOW… this is SO amazing… this car is SO amazing… I’m so amazing.. Don’t look at ME look at the car..

I think I’ve seen enough of his grating shtick now.

pedlad

Watched it last night and big fan of Harris. I enjoyed it but sort of agree it wasn’t as good as most of his stuff – amazing cars aside. The fake joshing with tiff was a bit cringeworthy tbh.

Did anyone else think the fast lap in the macca was incredibly messy compared to the other two? The 2 seconds he gained from the sticky tyres (not the comparison time used but a briefly shown lap time) was possibly a neater lap and would be a better representation of the car overall. I suspect with the the tyres being just a proportion of the 2 seconds gained? Either way it’s a quicker track car than the others not that I think that is the be all and end all.

Milkie
    Free Member

Me not likey, I find him very boring… Roadkill on the other hand is freakin awesome!

simon_g

It’s a video by a car geek for other car geeks.

Top-Amazon-Gear will be along soon enough with a condensed 5 minute version containing the same old jokes, some casual racism and a caravan on fire in the background.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Literally no idea. It looks like some probably quite nice cars and a lot of dull talk about tyres…

Replace “cars” with “bikes” and it could be stw

jimjam
    Free Member

pedlad

Did anyone else think the fast lap in the macca was incredibly messy compared to the other two? The 2 seconds he gained from the sticky tyres (not the comparison time used but a briefly shown lap time) was possibly a neater lap and would be a better representation of the car overall. I suspect with the the tyres being just a proportion of the 2 seconds gained? Either way it’s a quicker track car than the others not that I think that is the be all and end all.

I wouldn’t say incredibly messy but it did seem to lose traction exiting the corners as it got into the turbos, power delivery might be tricky to manage. Maybe it suffers from the same problem as the Ferrari on those tyres, ie an inability to put power to the ground.

stcolin
    Free Member

I do wonder how these cars actually feel compared to GT3/4 cars in the drivers eyes, maybe even going to LMP type classes for the performance. The aero seems so good that they must feel quite similar in places.

JJ, yes, when I first watched his stuff he was a bit more reserved. Got into his videos a lot when he was involved in Drivers Republic, and I think he grew from there. And I’ve always watched the majority of the EVO boys. Still have DVD’s I got when I subscribed to the mag from years ago. One of them had a great video on the FRP!

billysugger
    Free Member

jimjam wins

jimjam
    Free Member

Prick of the year?

6079smithw
    Free Member

Would a 919 beat the MP4-30 though?

kudos100
    Free Member

How good was it watching all three rag them round the track?

LHS
    Free Member

Condense it down into 1sec for me, which one won?

ElShalimo

The Trabant

BadlyWiredDog

Which one should I buy? Just so I don’t have to sit through the whole godawful car bore fest? 😉

maxtorque

st colin
    I do wonder how these cars actually feel compared to GT3/4 cars in the drivers eyes, maybe even going to LMP type classes for the performance. The aero seems so good that they must feel quite similar in places.

Mechanical grip is a little lower than a typical endurance racing spec GT3 car (ie 911, R8 etc) and aero gip is significantly lower than the more serious “wings and slicks” class of saloon car. However, unlike the power limited (by the regs) racing cars, these hyper cars are considerably more accelative at high speeds.

None of them would see which way a pukka LMP car went…….

maxtorque

BadlyWiredDog
    Which one should I buy? Just so I don’t have to sit through the whole godawful car bore fest?

I think the Merc Sprinter mini-bus gets the vote…….. 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It’s not even a real tube.

P20

I enojoyed it. I like Harris and his style. Seeing all of them together like that was good.

somafunk

Which one should I buy?

Seeing as this is STW i guess a Skoda Octavia VRS for the win

edhornby

these are all the same guys that write (or wrote) for Evo isn’t it

I_Ache
    Free Member

6079smithw – Member
    Would a 919 beat the MP4-30 though?

A 919 might but I doubt the 918 would.

The 919 is on the right.

Speeder

no_eyed_deer – Member
    Any idea what he’s just pulled together?
    Literally no idea. It looks like some probably quite nice cars and a lot of dull talk about tyres… and reference to an internet forum about cars… and going to get the tyres fitted… in a garage… and isn’t it SO amazing..?! That we are… actually… fitting these tyres..! That we ACTUALLY got from… Pirelli! No… don’t look at ME! Look at the cars…! THESE cars…! Aren’t they amazing… Aren’t WE amazing..!

I quite like cars, I watch a fair amount of youtubery about them occasionally. I went to Goodwood Festival once and quite enjoyed it.

That really was dull and very self-satisfied. A total turn-off.

Sorry.

It’s an internet forum. I’m allowed to disagree. And you, or others, are allowed to call me a twunt if you like, which you probably will.

Cos I disagree with your view..

I’ve no objection to you criticising it on its artistic merits – that’s fine, I was trying to gauge whether you appreciated the politics involved in organising a group ‘c0cks on the block’ track test between THE 3 Hyper cars. Especially when one considers that only 12 months or so ago CH couldn’t even get a test car from Ferrari his stock with them was so low after questioning their practice of providing ‘good examples’ for tests.

This is a test that pretty much every car journo has been trying to do, it’s the one that Top Gear didn’t even manage before they blew up. It might not be The Godfather but but its a hell of an achievement and for that alone he should be applauded.

dawson

Anybody know why they left Michelin’s on the 918, despite making a fuss about putting the McLaren and the Ferrari on matching tyres?

jimjam
    Free Member

Maxtorque can probably confirm but I think the P1 comes with the option, the Ferrari and the Porsche don’t.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I think it’s because Porsche didn’t really give a shit. It’s Ferrari and McLaren that were both concerned that they wouldn’t be the fastest. The Porsche is the heaviest and has the least power so was never going to be the fastest.

Inbred456
    Free Member

I remember watching Chris punt a Mclaren round a track then a Honda civic touring car. The Honda destroyed the Mclaren on the track. Horses for courses.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Chris Harris On Cars: LaFerrari, Porsche 918, Mclaren P1 hour-long show.’ is closed to new replies.