Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • Chris Froome Chats about his new bike
  • Premier Icon Klunk
    Free Member

and is not 100% enthused by discs (2.30) or his bars

Premier Icon scotroutes

Has anyone told him it’s the wrong size yet?

Premier Icon 13thfloormonk

Cue lots of consternation as disc brake fan-bois try to explain why multi-TDF winner Chris Froome is WRONG 😁

Premier Icon fossy

The proportions are fugly, like most new carbon bikes.

Premier Icon piemonster
    Free Member

Cue lots of consternation as disc brake fan-bois try to explain why multi-TDF winner Chris Froome is WRONG 😁

🙃

TBF, I am wondering why his disc brakes are “rubbing all the time” do road discs do that?

Premier Icon nickc

Really fascinating hearing him on disc brakes from a pro perspective. Lots of things he says about them don’t matter for regular riders of course, but these guys are obviously super picky about stet up.

Premier Icon scaredypants

It’s a bit “dissy” of his new employer’s gear, isn’t it ?

I wonder if it’s part of a marketing strategy – new dura-ace comes out, Froome says “wow – this is it ! All my reservations have been answered, and I’ve never ridden a stiffer bar than the 150% improved one”

makes you think

Premier Icon crazy-legs

He should have stayed at Ineos then where he could ride a heavy rim-braked bike that is prone to cracking and incapable of avoiding walls.

Isn’t this just a repeat of the myths that were doing the rounds 2-3 years ago when all the other teams went onto disc brakes?

Premier Icon johnnyc

[ video]https://youtu.be/aJK_d6onNjo[/video ]

If i could get embedding to work from youtube, this from Peak Torque is an interesting take on it

Premier Icon scotroutes

I am wondering why his disc brakes are “rubbing all the time” do road discs do that?

Mine don’t, but maybe that’s because I’m not warping the discs. I’m happy that they always work, always slow me down dry or wet.

Premier Icon molgrips

My brakes don’t rub yet, 3 months in.

Premier Icon pedlad

I wondered about his disk comments too. Never really seen many comments on here about Shimano xtr/xt brakes rubbing or warping. You’d think that dura ace/ultegra road brakes are designed with similar tech.

Premier Icon ceept

Maybe if I was as fast & powerful at him then my frame would flex enough for the pads to rub 🤷‍♂️

Overheating & warped discs don’t happen in any other sport & disc brakes are nothing new. So, perhaps his sponsors are a little behind in disc technology.

Premier Icon molgrips

Cue lots of consternation as disc brake fan-bois try to explain why multi-TDF winner Chris Froome is WRONG

It’s not saying they’re bad, he was quite open minded about it – he said he’s not sold on them. He reported issues, which is fair enough – what’s not clear is if it’s just those brakes/rotors or if it’s just that particular set. We know as MTBers that you can have issues. He does use rotors that most of us probably don’t, to be fair.

They certainly work for me, I’m not going back. And of course it’s not because of anything the pros do, it’s cos I’m an MTBer and the idea of going back to rim brakes seems absurd!

You’d think that dura ace/ultegra road brakes are designed with similar tech.

As above they aren’t Shimano, they’re Swiss Stop. That said, they aren’t some super light thing, they look pretty robust.

Premier Icon johnnyc

Premier Icon pedlad

Ah hadn’t clocked the callipers and disks were Swiss stop. The odd occasion I get rubbing disks it drives me mad. Imagine you’re a pro monitoring every decimal place of a watt!!

Premier Icon reggiegasket
    Free Member

the calipers aren’t SwissStop. Not on that bike next to him anyway (see 2:36).

Sounds like a setup issue, or maybe the SwissStop rotors don’t play nicely with the DA calipers??

More interesting to me is reverting back to round rings. As an oval user if I go back to round they feel awful. I almost feel this isn’t true, and he’s just saying it to sell some Factor bikes…

I’ve had discs warp and develop rubs during rides, maybe Froome and I have the same (bad?) braking habits? (at last! something in common with a pro rider 😀 ).

In fact, I’ve had discs fresh out the box develop wibbles just after bedding in, e.g. twenty hard almost-stops on a steep hill but never coming to a complete halt.

The nearest experience I could relate to would be coming off a very steep and braking heavy descent (the road beside Bracklin falls, steep twisty tarmac with loose gravelly marbles on top, you basically never want to build up any speed). The disc developed a wibble and/or a piston didn’t retract fully, and I spent the next 20km time-trialling along the road with a constant audible tsk-tsk-tsk as I was riding. For me it was just an irritation but imagine you were an actual pro soloing away from the group and you had that little psychological water torture going on, imagining each ‘tsk’ as shaving another 1/2 watt or something.

Premier Icon akira

Think I saw him saying somewhere that he was looking forward to trying his wonky rings with the ceramic speed jockey wheels etc.

Premier Icon molgrips

That physics video is all well and good, but it’s not fair to say that “discs don’t work that well on a road bike”. They do, for me – there’s no question. And Froome also says that the stopping power is great in wet and dry so there’s clearly an element of ‘working well’ happening here.

Of course I’m not doing alpine descents, but I do have steep fast hills, so I’m going to try and see if I can get my cheapo discs to start rubbing.

I’m also quite curious as to what sort of difference the Shimano cooling fins and vanes make. There’s obviously a lot more heat being generated so such things would seem to make much more of a difference. TBH if I were on Alpine descents regularly I’d want fins and vanes on my bike. The SwissStop discs and presumably pads have neither of those things.

Premier Icon nickc

I’d imagine if you’re doing 5-6 mile alpine descents going the sorts of speeds these guys go, on 140/160mm discs, they’re probs going to warp occasionally

Premier Icon jimdubleyou

As above they aren’t Shimano, they’re Swiss Stop. That said, they aren’t some super light thing, they look pretty robust.

Ah hadn’t clocked the callipers and disks were Swiss stop

Pause it at 2:38 – the calliper is labelled Dura-Ace.

I’m also quite curious as to what sort of difference the Shimano cooling fins and vanes make

I reckon a fair bit – I suspect the shimano system has been carefully designed with thermal management in mind and if you take one component out of the equation it’s likely to not work as well.

Premier Icon scotroutes

The longest descent I’ve done on a disk-braked road bike would be the one to Applecross. I had fully loaded panniers etc too. There’s a fair bit of braking involved as it’s singletrack, narrow, twisty and there’s oncoming traffic too. I doubt I set any speed records but, OTOH, my rotors were fine 😊

Surely all these pro roadies weigh so little that the brakes don’t have much to do? Perhaps we’ll see the introduction of aero drag braking systems.

Premier Icon jimdubleyou

aero drag braking systems.

Maybe they will introduce a wing suit, just fold your arms in to go fast, out to slow down. No need for brakes at all 🤣

Premier Icon eddiebaby
    Free Member

He says the rotors and discs are Swiss Stop. I’m assuming he got a bit confused and meant rotors and pads.

Premier Icon molgrips

There’s a fair bit of braking involved as it’s singletrack, narrow, twisty and there’s oncoming traffic too. I doubt I set any speed records but, OTOH, my rotors were fine

If it’s singletrack you probably weren’t going very fast so the instantaneous thermal load on your brakes would have been less than someone having to go from 70kph to 30kph in a few seconds.

I’ve got a right turn half way down an 80kph bit of road on my local loop. The problem is I know it’s coming up, so I haven’t the balls to leave it really late and slam on. But however late I leave it, there’s always bags of power in reserve and I could have left it later. But of course my brakes are cold going into it, it’s not the 15th such stop in a row on a 35C day.

Premier Icon fasthaggis

Is that bike his retirement present? 😉

I’ve had discs warp and develop rubs during rides, maybe Froome and I have the same (bad?) braking habits? (at last! something in common with a pro rider 😀

I thought you were banned from talking about disc brakes? 😉🤣😂

I thought you were banned from talking about disc brakes?

Haha, that was just a new year’s resolution, they’re meant to be broken 😉

Premier Icon trailwagger
    Free Member

Maybe they will stop him bitching and moaning about other people descending faster than him now?

Premier Icon lunge

Maybe they will stop him bitching and moaning about other people descending faster than him now?

Froome is one of the better descenders from what I’ve seen, he’s not pretty and flowing in a Cancellara way but he’s certainly not slow and I’ve not seen him lose time on the downhill sections unlike Richie Porte for instance.

That they’re using aftermarket pads seems odd, the fins are clearly there on the Shimano pads for a reason, I wonder if we’ll see him moving to stock pads in the future.

Premier Icon Richie_B

suspect the shimano system has been carefully designed with thermal management marketing and profit in mind

Premier Icon robola
    Free Member

How embarrassing that they spelt his name wrong too. Must feel like he plays for a Sunday league football team where everyone has a y added to their surname.

Premier Icon trailwagger
    Free Member

Froome is one of the better descenders from what I’ve seen, he’s not pretty and flowing in a Cancellara way but he’s certainly not slow and I’ve not seen him lose time on the downhill sections unlike Richie Porte for instance.

He does seem to have improved in recent years. I was referring to the tour a few years (2013?) back where he criticised Contador et al for attacking him on a descent. Its what put me off him a rider…. your either racing or not.

Premier Icon SirHC

That they’re using aftermarket pads seems odd, the fins are clearly there on the Shimano pads for a reason, I wonder if we’ll see him moving to stock pads in the future.

Fins are there for marketing. Fins wont dissipate heat instantaneously.

Because of the weight weenie obsession and prolific shit engineering that goes on, the brakes will fade, unless the discs are thicker (see ebike rotors) and larger, along with a bigger braking surface, then the issue wont go away.

Premier Icon slowoldman

I’d imagine if you’re doing 5-6 mile alpine descents going the sorts of speeds these guys go, on 140/160mm discs, they’re probs going to warp occasionally

Whereas with rim brakes it’s just the tyres that fall off occasionally.

Premier Icon bullandbladder
    Free Member

My Ultegra discs rub like crazy in the wet. One trip through a big puddle results in 30 seconds of horrendous racket. I tend to agree with him in that there’s not enough clearance ‘twixt pad and rotor – I thought Shimano’s Servo-Wave thingummy was supposed to allow a bigger clearance by using a cam to get the piston through the gap with minimal lever throw?

Anyway, I’d rather take my chances with an overheated rotor than repeat the experience of a front wheel blow out on an alpine descent due to an overheated wheel rim.
    That was a new shorts job.

Premier Icon monkeyboyjc

It’s part of the Roadies philosophy, to completely disregard any technological advancememt that hasen’t been developed from within the UCI regulations and road bike world.

Like he says, give it a few years and he’ll forget he ever complained about it.

Personally, given the UCI weight limit on bikes, any bike having discs is an advantage over those that don’t. If the UCI reduce the weight limit It’ll be interesting to see who moves back to rim brakes.

Premier Icon Klunk
    Free Member

Because of the weight weenie obsession

it’s kinda of understandable really no one wants to pay more for a heavier bike no matter how well it stops.

Premier Icon monkeyboyjc

no one wants to pay more for a heavier bike no matter how well it stops

Apart from most of the general public?

Premier Icon Klunk
    Free Member

eh? what have ebikes got to do with it ?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.