Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Chris Akrigg leaving Mongoose
  • scruffywelder
    Free Member

Just seen on Facebook…

So the cat is out of the bag! After twelve years of riding for Mongoose the time has come for me to move on! I couldn’t…

Posted by Chris Akrigg on Thursday, December 26, 2019

johnw1984
    Free Member

I’m surprised he was with them for so long! I tried looking for decent Mongoose bikes out of curiosity, but couldn’t find them for sale anywhere in this country.

Always struck me as odd not to have a decent mid-range bike lineup over here with such a talented rider representing them. Missed a trick there?

oldtennisshoes

Where’s he gone?

MrSparkle

Carrera.

davosaurusrex

^ don’t be ridiculous MrSparkle.

He’s gone to Diamondback.

johnw1984
    Free Member

At least Diamondback make some half-decent mountain bikes nowadays! Seth seems to do well on his 🙂

tomhoward

I’m surprised he was with them for so long!

They were really good to him when he fell off a cliff, smashing his leg/ankle to bits, guess it was just a good company to work for.

johnw1984
    Free Member

@tomhoward

That tells me a lot about a person. I guess they were so good to him, so he was loyal to them for all those years. I wonder how many offers he’s had in that time from more prominent brands?

scruffywelder
    Free Member

ISTR reading that he stuck with them because they didn’t put a lot of pressure on him to do things their way and let him work in his own style and at his own pace.

Be interesting to see where he settles next.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I wonder how many offers he’s had in that time from more prominent brands?

I used to be friends with Jeff his bro in law (went on hols in the 1980’s) and still see him occasionally around Skipton. There was certainly one occasion maybe 6-8 yrs ago when it was almost a certainty but then didn’t happen according to Jeff. His BiL isn’t a mountain biker and couldn’t remember who it was but it was a big player at the time I think, not certain tho cos Jeff couldn’t recall. I like Chris and didn’t want to drop Jeff in the sheet so never claimed anything on here and it Never happened till now of course, hopefully we’ll see more Akrigg vids in future cos he’s sort of fallen by the wayside (exposure wise) in recent years.

isitafox
    Free Member

I remember seeing that fall on one of the 999 type progs on BBC1 then saw he posted about it on FB.
    Absolute legend of a rider, down to earth and very dedicated. I remember riding the British bike trial champs about 20ish years ago and seeing him there just keeping his head down on that legendary Pace.
    Agree about how odd it was Mongoose never really used him to sell bikes over here it was just a weird setup of “we’ll build custom frames and fund this guys life because why not?”. I haven’t got a clue who supplies Mongoose bike (didn’t even realise they made mountain bikes, I thought they were just a BMX brand at first) and I know more than a few people who would have gone for a Mongoose trials frame.

RickDraper
    Free Member

Cannondale?

chestrockwell

Back when he signed Mongoose had a well respected U.K line up. Vanished in the last 5 or so years though.

DickBarton

Really like his videos…40 over last 12 years so about 3 a year. Given the work involved that is an impressive stint. I’m hoping wherever he goes, he’ll have a new video out soon.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Back when he signed Mongoose had a well respected U.K line up. Vanished in the last 5 or so years though.

It’s really odd that, I was convinced they’d given up on the UK, or we’d given up on them and they had no UK Disti, but apparently they do.

I looked on their website to see who actually sold them in the UK and they listed the 3 closest Bike Shops to where I live in Cardiff and PS Cycles in Cwmcarn (amongst a load of others) I’m not much of a tyre kicker in bike shops these days, but I sometimes pop in for a look and I haven’t seen even a hint of Mongoose for years in any of them.

Brianblessed
    Free Member

Insanely skilled rider but it’s his vision that impresses me the most, he rides up,down, along and over stuff others dont even see! Whoever he ends up with I’m sure he will be putting his own unique stamp on their brand.
    Good luck Chris, and more of the same please!!

matt_outandabout

I haven’t seen even a hint of Mongoose for years in any of them.

Does William Storey own the UK distribution?
    😉
    null

matt_outandabout

Thank you Mr Akrigg. This video reminds me why I like his riding so much – many landscapes and terrain that is familiar to me, yet ridden in an utterly amazing, creative and powerful way.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Chris Akrigg leaving Mongoose’ is closed to new replies.