• This topic has 44 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Choosing tyres – interested in STW’s thoughts.
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

Yeah, never heard of issues and my Shorty was awesome last winter

deanfbm
    Free Member

What stops me trying different is that tyres are such a big contributor to how bikes ride hence if I try some tyres that end up being rubbish, the ride is rubbish.

However the default maxxis/schwalbe offerings just arent quite cutting it, recently went off piste and tried michelin wild enduro, really good. Tried some bontys too, easily on par if not better than the maxxis/schwalbe stuff.

Trouble with schwalbe is nothing between snakeskin (flimsy) and super gravity (heavy) nor a good pairing, similar for maxxis exo vs dh (find double down really unsupportive?)

lycanthropefailed
    Free Member

Chakaping, Bushwacked – the ground temperature limit could be ass covering or it could be to comply with German laws. I ran a Shorty one (mild by Moray standards) Winter, it was tremendous and did not degrade as far as I could tell.  However, last year a MaxTerra DHF was badly degraded (visually) in very few rides and certainly performed less well than a dual compound DHR2 on the rear and the DHF on my hardtail. I have sent a message to Maxxis UK asking for advice but will probably just get a fudge answer. If it is an issue, I would certainly expect it to apply to all brands just as it does with car tyres. The likelihood is that the 6 degC is pessimistic and that the more likely temperature limit is a bit lower.

lycanthropefailed
    Free Member

Nice quick response from Maxxis UK, which supports the German site.  Presumably the best choice of compound depends upon where and when you ride :

Thank you for your enquiry and interest in Maxxis.

All our compounds are the same regardless of the nation, so this information is correct. If you would like to find out more information about our technology and tyre compounds, please visit: https://www.maxxis.co.uk/technology/bike-technology.

DezB
    Free Member

I used to always use Hutchinson tyres on my 26ers. Toros being decent all rounders and proper UST tubeless jobs.

Then I moved to 29ers – tried a few, bought a Magic Mary for the front and I think I’ll always use them now.

Not really settled on a rear tyre choice, have used WTB Tough/Fasts – Trail Boss & Vigilante and they’re good strong (heavy) tyres, and don’t really notice them being good or bad, they just work.

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Choosing tyres – interested in STW’s thoughts.’ is closed to new replies.