Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • choosing the right line
  • sunnrider
    Free Member

I was exploring some new routes round here today and found a nice little river-bed descent

It took me 4 attempts and one over the bars until I figured out how to get round this. There´s deep rut that goes through the middle (continues round the bend) that you really don´t want to get stuck in.

Although it doesn´t appear very steep, it is and by the time you reach it you´re already going some.

So, my question is, are you good at dealing with new terrain and surprises?
    I guess in my case it´s slow down or crash (and I don´t like slowing).

…in case you´re wondering, the best line was to go down the inside right of the pic, seems simple but it wasn´t 😛

jedi

id have gone far left under the banking

sunnrider
    Free Member

I´m glad to say thats the first thing I tried, and whacked the bars off of a tree trying to stay out of the rut. It gets a bit narrow there.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Thats a berm near as far as the eye can see!

But you say some Godlike put a tree in the middle of the berm? So I’d pick a point where I can cross the rut at close to 90 degrees.

First time out – that could be pretty sore!

Like the pink grips btw!

doug_basqueMTB.com

Looks messy! I’m sure there’s a few lines going on in there. It’s a PR too? Could do with some drainage work!

sunnrider
    Free Member

It’s a PR too?

Well spotted, its a descent from San Marcos towards Beraun, well worth a spin. It does eventually get smoother but that particular section is bumpy as hell.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Id have aimed for the lumpy bit between the 2nd and 3rd ruts (L-R) and then Prob cross the 3rd rut by going just to the left of the clump of grass. The rut looks like you’d be crossing it almost perpendicular by then.

Im usually pretty good at reading the terrain (and then hanging on hoping things will sort themselves out).

Mantastic
    Free Member

Get a pugsley, you could then pick any line you want down there without any issues

Mantastic
    Free Member

Get a pugsley, you could then pick any line you want down there without any issues

Davesport

From the tip of your brake lever, past the bushes towards the skinny tree 8)

thomthumb
    Free Member

in the LH rut.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Slow a little, pop over the rut and pedalpedalpedal. Probably need to repeat again. Slow in fast out from the outside in.

Northwind

I’m pretty useless at learning and remembering trails but the tradeoff is I’m relatively good at first-timing trails.

Not going to judge your corner there because the camera never gives an accurate picture. Though obviously I’d just do a barrel roll while blowing a kiss to the audience (out of shot).

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

just hoor it down the middle. usually works well.

singlecrack
    Free Member

as Jedi would but manual before the tree at 45deg over the rut

singlecrack
    Free Member

Or if you have enough travel just aim it downwards and hope for the best.. 🙄

sambob
    Free Member

I’d go from where you are, hop the first rut over to the left then probably down the furthest left rut, if i hadn’t fallen off by then.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘choosing the right line’ is closed to new replies.