Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Choosing a width for a garage door – how wide is too wide?
  • oliverd1981
    Free Member

I’m just finalising the design for my timber garage and I’m starting to think that fitting a massively wide double door might be overkill. The internal width of the garage is 5.3m (just over 17ft if you prefer) and I was initially thinking of having a 4.4m opening (14ft).

On closer consideration I reckon the overall width is a bit tight for two cars and some stuff (never really intended it to be a two car garage)  so a 10 or 11ft door might be adequate. I’d really like the door to be central rather than having to choose a side

The question is – would this be massively offputting so somebody aspiring to squeeze two cars in there in the future – or do those people simply not exist?

regenesis
    Free Member

Personally I’d offset it.

Gives better storage/workspace now and the option to fit another narrower one at a later date if things change.

Never limit the options – say a 9-12ft now leaving plenty.

newrobdob
    Free Member

Build it for yourself. Why spend all that money and compromise what you want for some hypothetical next owner? Most people don’t care about garages anyway so it won’t make a difference to value of house.

I’d put a single door on to get one car in and have the rest as a workshop.

nickjb
    Free Member

Certainly build what you want but if you think things may change you can allow for it. My garage/workshop is block built and I’ve added a couple of extra lintels so it’d be easy to put in bigger openings or windows and turn it into a home office or proper car garage if I or the next owner wanted. I’m sure you can do similar in timber.

FuzzyWuzzy

I don’t see the advantage of fitting a narrower door, what type of door are you fitting anyhow? My parents have a big double garage with a roller door/shutter on it and it works great (and has done for over 15 years so far). I take it widening the garage itself (so it’s a comfortable fit for 2 cars + stuff) isn’t an option?

spooky_b329

I think I’d prefer two doors if you are planning on using it as a workshop at all, thats a big opening if you plan to have a workbench in there and don’t want freezing wind and rain blowing around the garage.

Or go for concertina doors so you can have a pedestrian door, or open more sections as required?  Probably a pricey option.

nickjb
    Free Member

As above, you definitely want a pedestrian door. Much easier for 99% of time you are going in and out. If you already have that in the plan then carry on 🙂 If not you could put a 4.4m opening in so the option of the double door is there then put a standard single garage door and a pedestrian door in with a removable infill panel between them.

rossburton
    Free Member

Joining the choir of two doors here.  I’d love a garage big enough to have a normal door for cars/bikes/etc and a separate pedestrian door on the workshop side.  Our old house had a double garage with a double door and whilst the access was great, it swept in a huge amount of detritus if the weather wasn’t great and I wanted to pop in…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Choosing a width for a garage door – how wide is too wide?’ is closed to new replies.