Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • choices for a tourer/audax/allday bike…………….help.
  • seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Genesis if the extra ££ is nota problem or the Kona for value. Or and Uncle john with BB7 discs if you want a lighter alternative.

Filthy
    Free Member

How about a spesh tricross just to confuse things even more.

geoffj

Croix de Fer

geoffj

08 sutra’s on offer at Evans for £750.
    Bargain tastic!

ton

i do like the look of the konas.
    and out of the two the sutra is looking the best.
    anyone got one.

geoffj

Druidh’s got one – you MUST have seen it!

tootallpaul

No use to you, but I use my Inbred 29er…

(It give me an excuse to post a pic…)

druidh
    Free Member

ton – Member

i do like the look of the konas.
    and out of the two the sutra is looking the best.
    anyone got one.

Just to oblige…

Note that mine is an earlier model though. Slidey dropouts, STIs etc – but then it was also a bit more expensive. Good choice for you Ton – they’re built “robust”.

ton

druidh
    do you reckon they are ok to ride 200km audax type rides on….

druidh
    Free Member

I don’t see why not. What do you think an Audax bike needs specifically? A bit of comfort, stability, speed, space for hanging mudguards & stuff?

Mine has toured the Western Isles loaded up with panniers, I’ve done 70-mile days on it, I’ve taken part in a Triathlon, it’s used around town and for commuting and it’s had lumpy tyres and been around the Pentlands.

Tonolina
    Free Member

I’ve just got rid of my Kona Sutra and bought a Marin Toscana – much lighter, disc brakes and no straight rigid fork to hammer your wrists.

It feels like a 21st century bike.

firestarter
    Free Member

tony you want a sabbath sunday from spa mate lovely bikes i’ll post a pic of mine this eve when home 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

200km audax – you’d want something light rather than a tourer surely?

sq225917
    Free Member

Hows about a real road bike with the right size frame and a comfy saddle.

cynic-al
    Free Member

what’s a real road bike?

djglover
    Free Member
    OrangeChammy
    Free Member

I ditched my road bike in favour of a lightweight crosser for using for long rides, light touring and commuting. Looked at Konas, genesis etc. but all a bit beefy and fairly average frames. Managed to get a 2008 Cannondale CAAD9 for £1k (about £250 off) still seen a few kicking about – its a great quality frame, 105 gears and carbon fork… rides light as a road bike but takes a beating, I think it is actually faster than my road bike as you dont have to slow and avoid as much rough stuff/potholes, weighs about the same.

It lacks top rack mounts as it has a wishbone rear end, a £4 m-part seatclamp with rackmount integrated sorted it. plenty of room for full guards and a bargain half price madison stainless rack from petra cycles – bobs you uncle, a nice tourer – lighter and more lively than almost any other crosser/audax/tourer I have seen.

ton

surely there must be something in between that would serve both….

Guilliano
    Free Member

Giant Defy 1???? Ally frame, carbon fork, rack mounts, mudguard mounts…. what more could you ask?

druidh
    Free Member

Ah – the Marin Toscana, I was trying to remember the name of that one t’other day. Looks nice. I’d deffo consider of them.

firestarter
    Free Member

my two one for on/off tour and winter clubruns and t’other for best (tho i still use guards all year round) can take rear rack too

different budget bikes but both would suit your needs depending on budget
    surly is great too as clip off guards and its great in the mud 😉

si_brodiebikes
    Free Member

How about a Brodie Elan http://www.progressive-bikes.co.uk/elan.html or Ronin http://www.progressive-bikes.co.uk/ronin.html

Ton, Could do you either for £1k.

drinkmoreport
    Free Member

The 08 Sutra is heavy, it also has severe toe-overlap. The Racks are also very cheap and nasty. if it were used soley as a tourer then ok, but anything else and it would be found wanting due to slow, uninterestring ride. A Jake the Snake would be a better choice if you like Kona, the honky-tonk is about £150 overpriced. and heavy.

The Vapor from Genesis would also make a fine bike for your needs.

uplink
    Free Member

I rode a Caygill on/off road bike on a 150 mile ride last year & I can honestly say it was the most comfortable bike I’ve ever ridden

http://www.arthurcaygillcycles.biz/ACS-SOS/omega-struct0431/Bikes-Select-Main/Caygill/Caygill-sub-1.html

epo-aholic
    Free Member

Thorn…..

build it yourself, i did, its cheaper!

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I’m looking at a September, are there any negatives to them?

The alternative is a Van Nicholas Yukon if anyone has any experience of them.

firestarter
    Free Member

hi mate i honestly cant say anything bad about the september its a great ride . not as stiff as my carbon race bike when you stand out of the saddle but comfy as a comfy thing 😉 lovely finished frame too. and the lads in macc are great to deal with 😉

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘choices for a tourer/audax/allday bike…………….help.’ is closed to new replies.