Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Choices, choices… On-one 456 carbon or whippet?
  • johnny

So here’s the thing; I’m currently riding a mk2 cotic soul with 130mm forks, but I’m looking to build something more racey/lighter for enduro/marathon events, and, er- pretty much anything else. (though bigger stuff will be tackled with my 150mm FS) 29ers are not an option- not against them, just not financially viable right now. 

The on-one offers on undecaled frames has caught my eye, so I’m considering either;

Whippet with 120 reba/sid forks.
    Carbon 456 with 130mm DT Swiss forks. 

What do we think? Any experiences or input much appreciated! 

andyl
    Free Member

from the weight point of view there is not much in it. The 456 is built more burly but as it’s carbon there isn’t much penalty.

Geometry obviously different – 120mm is at the limit for the whippet. Some people love 120 on inbreds and scandals, others hate it.

456 will take 130 perfectly well – that is how I run mine and I do run at 100mm lot of the time as it feels a bit more racey. Had the guy at on-one not said “definitely no” when I called and asked about 120mm on a whippet (was well before they put it can do 120 on their site) then I may have got one but no regrets over the C456.

I’m not sure if the whippet is stiffer than the 456 as it’s hard to tell as with carbon fibre you can’t judge on the size of the sections but it may well be despite being less burly looking.

Oh and the whippet is push fit BB and both use less popular headset sizes which may affect your choice.

Shorty121
    Free Member

You gonna keep your Soul aswell?

andyl
    Free Member

^ that too. tbh you could probably spend the £300 on lighter components for the soul – wheels would make a bigger difference than frame.

MrGreedy

Like you I have a Mk2 Soul and fancied something a bit racier for marathon type riding. I went for a Whippet (built up in time for Kielder 100 last year) and am 100% happy with it. Mine has 90-120mm Magura Durins and is perfectly capable on trail centre stuff without dropping the seatpost, as well as being noticeably more sprightly than the Cotic on climbs (as you’d expect). It’s not *quite* as comfortable on long rides as the Soul, which is probably more to do with the geometry than the frame material, but I doubt any similarly racey bike would be.

Edit: Are you keeping the Soul or planning to replace? I still have mine, but if it was a straight swap the 456 might be a better jack of all trades I guess

johnny

All very true- wheels on the soul are pro2/ crest, juicy carbons, carbon bars, slk saddle, etc- various other suitably light bits. The frame is about 1900 grammes. Whippet is 1300, 456, 1500. I’m not sure if I could get The weight difference down for 300?

Good to hear the 456 works well with shorter forks. I could probably go for 120’s with it then?

Garry_Lager

Whippet seems obvious if you’re keeping the soul, guess you’re talking about replacing it?
    Tricky one in that case – Carbon 456 seems the better bet for versatility but the whippet is a great bike for munching the miles. But then the 456 might be a comfier geometry for a marathon event. Helpful eh?
    I have a whippet (had a scandal before it) and like it – but it is quite an unhelpful bike on technical stuff, tests the skills or lack thereof. It does feel nice to ride a light, racier bike but unless you’re planning on laying down the law in the marathon events the 456 might offer more.

Also – the 456 doesn’t look as bad in reality compared to photos. Particularly if you get the decals that break up that downtube (IMO).

andyl
    Free Member

what size frame are you? My 16″ 456 was 1360g when it came with matte lacquer (1st batch) including drop outs.

johnny

Good points about geometry- and I would probably sell the soul if I did the build. I’m leaning toward the 456 at the mo; geometry, tapered head tube and “normal” BB all seem the right way to go?

Interesting to consider that the whippet is less all-day comfortable than the soul. COnsidering the purpose of both, it makes sense. New school carbon isn’t that different a material after all!

MrGreedy

johnny – Member
    Interesting to consider that the whippet is less all-day comfortable than the soul. COnsidering the purpose of both, it makes sense. New school carbon isn’t that different a material after all!

Don’t get me wrong, the Whippet isn’t uncomfortable – OK, you’re not going to be fresh as a daisy after a few hours on it but if you’re racing that should be the case whatever frame you’re riding.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

My Raw Carbon 456 16″ is 1520gms, frame/dropouts only, on decent scales (most recent stock into On One, delivered 21/12/11).

mtbtomo
    Free Member

The 456 would be the more versatile choice. Light enough to go racey, with 100mm forks, but solid enough to put 150mm forks on and beef it up.

External bb is another good reason. Internal ones are nasty from a practicality point of view.

p7rich
    Free Member

Bought a Whippet a few months ago. Built it up as SS with XT wheels and 100mm SID fork. I now have a 22lb beauty that I’m really chuffed with. I ride the trails, jumps, etc just like it’s a tougher, longer travel do it all bike and (so far) it’s been a dream. I’m 6’2″ and the 18″ fits me perfectly.

(Call me shallow but i couldn’t live with that goppy downtube on the 456!)

avdave2

I’ve been thinking along similar lines and will go for the 456 as I feel it will be more versatile and I can use my existing chainset.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Call me shallow but i couldn’t live with that goppy downtube on the 456!

I thought the whippet down tube looks pretty much the same? not sure tho.

The 456 doesn’t look as bad in the flesh as it does in photos IMO, I have just bought one tho, which might muddy my opinion I guess.

p7rich
    Free Member

My Whippet:

[/url]

(Maybe very slightly goppy?)

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’m still trying to decide the cable routing.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Choices, choices… On-one 456 carbon or whippet?’ is closed to new replies.