Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Chocolate with chilli
  • chakaping
    Free Member

My wife bought me a load of fancy chocolate bars for Xmas, just opened this Montezuma one today and I can’t say I’m impressed.

Tastes like chocolate at first, then the chilli gets slowly hotter so you can’t taste the chocolate anymore.

Bit like red wine with a curry (ie. wrong).

Anyone actually like it?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

S’a Mexican thing, no?

Watch out for Monty’s Revenge….

sodafarls
    Free Member

Not a big fan of it myself…It prompts a question i’ve been meaning to ask for a while though, is it true that Mexicans put some cocoa powder in chilli? I think I read or heard it once, but the thought of wasting a meal has deterred my experimentation.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Chili chocolate iw wrong. FACT.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

It seems to be the big thing! Have you seen Walkers have just released some crisps which are chocolate and chilli!! Wierd! THey also have onion bhaji flavour and “the great breakfast” flavour ….. odd.

Anyway back to original point… not tried chocolate and chilli!

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

chocolate in chili is great

Chicken Mole (with chili and chocolate in it) is also great

not a big fan of plain chili chocolate although the two flavours are complimentary

bigsi
    Free Member

Chilli chocolate “the DIRTY barstewards” 😆

I prefer the Cardamon Chocolate.

Oh and yes if you have a proper mexican chilli it will have chocolate in it along with proper beef chunks rather than minced beef. Try it and you will never go back 😉

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Girlfriend had spicy hot chocolate at a cafe the other week – it was actually alright!

Soup
    Free Member

Chocolate with Chilli is wrong, although a decent cooked beef chilli with some chocolate in is the nuts. Common practice at the fire station and by jingo we know how to cook a mean chilli.

chakaping
    Free Member

the two flavours are complimentary

That’s the thing.

I’m no Masterchef judge (unfortunately), but I thought the flavours clashed terribly.

Give me chocolate and raspberry anyday.

johnners
    Free Member

I like it, though you’d have to have a korma palate before you could call the Montezuma stuff at all hot. Their white chocolate (I know that’s an oxymoron) with 3 peppers is surprisingly good.

If you want a real travesty, try chocolate with thyme and toasted flax seeds. That was quite horrible – it was a gift.

JB405
    Free Member

I had some at xmas and really disliked it. I can’t see what the fuss is about!

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve got chocolate with thyme in the cupboard. I can imagine that working nicer, but perhaps not.

I have a madras palate (at best), didn’t find it too hot, just wrong.

No accounting for taste though, I know.

sockpuppet

defo try the cocoa in chili thing – not an up-front flavour, but really helps add some depth

clareymorris

Lindt chilli Chocolate has just the right flavours……….bitter dark choc with a hint of cheeky chilliness. What is not to like?

Drac

Chocolate and Chilli rox.

Chilli with a good dark chocolate in tastes fantastic.

Stiggy

How do mexicans keep warm in the winter?

xherbivorex
    Free Member

some brands of chilli chocolate are better than others (imagine that!)… the best one i’ve had is this:

molgrips
    Free Member

The latest wannabe Heston Blumenthal craze, I reckon. If I’m being particularly cynical 🙂 However, even Uncle Ben’s chili from a jar has cocoa powder in it (so much for real actual proper proper actual honest to goodness REAL actual true genuine MEXICAN chili :roll:)…

trailmonkey

Chocolate is used in Mexican cookery but not in the form that we know it as. IE not made with milk and sugar etc. It’s used for seasoning and as a thickening agent IIRC.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

in mexico they’ve been using chocolate (well, cacao anyway) in savoury cooking for thousands of years. it’s hardly a “blue mental” thing…

andrew
    Free Member

We love chillies and we love chocolate.

Chocolate with chilli – can either ruin good chocolate or distract from iffy chocolate.
    Chilli with chocolate – No. A good meal ruined. I used to have a *superb* Mexican cook book from the 60s (ie. a cook book actually from Mexico) and no mention of choccy chilli. fast forward a generation and a history reclaimed and pukey heritage meals are everywhere.

but hey, never mind, each to their own 🙂

trickydisco
    Free Member

Dunno what you’re talking about.. this stuff

Is amazing! thought it was a bit weird myself until i went on a snowboarding hol a couple of years ago and tried it.

MoreCashThanDash

Lots of cobblers being spouted on here – Hotel Chocolat’s Chilli Roche are fantastic, as is the chilli truffle

Admitedly, it is not so great in a bar, needs something to help it along.

skinnysteel
    Free Member

Try Danucci Spiced Chocolates – superb.

AndyP
    Free Member

Chili chocolate iw wrong. FACT.
    glad to see that my opinions are generally the complete opposite to peterpoddy’s. Chilli chocolate is ace.

And Lindt chilli chocolate really needs much more chilli in it. It’s really quite bland.

matthewjb
    Free Member

I’ve got a bar of the Lindt Chilli chocolate in the cupboard.

The fact it’s still there says something.

Perhaps I’ll try another square or just add it the next time I make chilli.

Coyote
    Free Member

Not sure about chili chocolate. But chili jam! Oh Yes!!!

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

Another thing to try if you like your interesting flavour combinations is a pineapple and chili sorbet with foie gras. A nice starter.
    It probably shouldn’t really work but is very nice indeed!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Chocolate with chilli’ is closed to new replies.