Chloe Smith on Newsnight

Home Forum Chat Forum Chloe Smith on Newsnight

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Chloe Smith on Newsnight
  • Premier Icon rickmeister
    Subscriber

I’d far rather see him roast Cameron or Osborne than some ill briefed political robot at the very start of her career.

Welcome to 2012 politics, this is how it is right now. There is no easy warm up event. Get with the programme.

deviant

Woody….nail and head.

Traditionally politics was a second career, generally speaking people did something constructive with their lives before deciding to stand for Parliament.

Now its seen as a career in itself and the PPE degree from top Universities, then working as a researcher for a party, then working as an assistant to an MP, then standing for election yourself can happen in worrying short time and with the successful candidate reaching Westminster having known nothing but education and the bubble of party politics.

I’d be in favour of a minimum age to stand for election to Parliament.

atlaz

She was woefully unprepared and he was all over her like a lion on a wounded baby gazelle. That said, I have no idea why politicians couldn’t just say:

“We were challenged on this so we looked at the numbers again and realised that we had the leeway to cut the duty so, in response to public requests, we’re cutting it”

Which is basically what happened. But for some reason nobody can say “Hey we’re doing what the public want”. Either stick to your guns to reduce the debt or tell the truth. Don’t try both.

On the subject of Chloe Smith; I agree, I’d rather have someone with experience of life than someone trying to climb the greasy pole of politics more or less directly from Uni (given my guess is she had 4 years between leaving and being selected as a candidate).

AndyP

It was more Peter O’hanraha-hanrahan than The Thick Of It.

[/url]

AndyP

i found it amasing you could have a degree in English literature and then go straight into a management consultant role tbh never mind the rest

it’s as good a background for management consultancy as any other

allthepies

it’s as good a background for management consultancy as any other

What, equivalent to say, a background in management of numerous small/medium businesses ? Really ?

SamCooke

I reckon Paxman was well within his rights to have a go at her. He was asking her some straight forward questions which she was reusing to answer. They were a matter of public interest and she witheld that information. She needs to be answerable to the public and if she tries to avoid that responsibility then she needs to be taken to task about it.

AndyP

What, equivalent to say, a background in management of numerous small/medium businesses ? Really ?
    Ah, I see you’re approaching this from a ‘management consultancy is actually useful and is not just a monkey in a suit telling people to cut costs and increase profits’ standpoint.

atlaz

My experience of management consultants is they tell the board what they wanted to hear or if it;s not what they wanted to hear what they’d already been told by others but didn’t believe because they’re not highly paid management consultants.

I’ve had one too many meetings with consultants who say idiotic things like “all businesses are the same so I’m going to use an analogy that everyone understands, like fruit and veg selling”. All well and good but the only person in the room who didn’t understand what we did WAS the consultant so the analogy just confused the shit out of everyone.

zimbo

Seem to be a lot of “consultants” these days, many of whom lack any experience and knowledge in any field whatsoever, or any applicable education. I feel sorry for real consultants who actually know their onions…

corroded

In defence of the best English Literature degrees (ahem), it does teach you how to think (critically, analytically) and how to make an argument for or against something.

Premier Icon Coyote
    Subscriber

it does teach you how to think (critically, analytically) and how to make an argument for or against something

This is of course assuming that you have an idea about the subject you are talking about which in my experience most “consultants” don’t and seeming fewer MPs do.

Klunk

In defence of the best English Literature degrees (ahem), it does teach you how to think (critically, analytically) and how to make an argument for or against something.

yep a you can go along way in this country talking crap, as long express yourself well.

DrJ

She deflected the questions quite well

Is this what we want, then? – politicians that can deflect the questions? How about politicians that tell the truth?

ski

She is a keen cyclist, well according to wiki anyway, so it must be true 😉

Having had a quick look at her ‘career’ in Wiki I find it astonishing that someone can go from reading English literature, to being a management consultant with a rather large firm, to being appointed a Treasury Minister, in such a staggeringly short space of time, with next to bugger all experience or training for the job in hand.

+1 from me too!

I’ve got quite a few friends who’ve studied an arts degree who’ve gone on the join the Civil Service in one of the central departments and promoted quickly, well paid, great expenses etc (periods abroad for a few months all expenses paid when their houses/flats at home are rented out paying the mortgage).

This would all be find if it seemed like they were earning their money but i don’t think they are.

All of the complex work is carried out by other people, and then arts graduates completely fail to grasp the technicalities or even the GCSE level statistics behind many of the issues they are trying to manage…. which is why you end up with this sort of thing happening
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/bike-blog/2012/may/25/cycling-governed-dimwits

How the hell can they make any effective decisions about anything!?

Junkyard

She deflected the questions quite well

If she had done this well we woul dnot have noticed that she failed to answeer the qwquestion that was asked of her deflected

fuzzhead

TBH, having seen the footage and read the context (the u-turn on fuel duty), her performance on NN and ill-preparedness speaks volumes about the Tories and Cameron and Osborne in particular.

They haven’t got a strategy and when the sh!t hits the fan, they’ll duck the fallout and send in the junior ranks to take the flak.

Losers

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Chloe Smith on Newsnight’ is closed to new replies.