Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • CHKDISK/SCANDISK – a better alternative?
  • deepreddave
    Free Member

PC help please…. I’m unable to defragment my hard drive due to ‘inconsistencies’ apparently and Windows recommends running chkdisk. But when I do I need to do so at startup and my computer then freezes mid way through the check process. I had to go into SAFE mode to stop it and I’m best not doing such techy stuff. Is there a nice easy free program that I can dowmload and run to chk/fix any errors? I’d very much a ppreciate being saved the hassle and cost of a trip to the local PC people for a problem that might be easily fixed. Thanks!

geoffj

Stop trying to use chkdsk/scandisk. Concentrate on getting the important stuff backed up.
    Once you have it backed up, replace the disk – sounds borked to me.

GrahamS

Are you sure it had actually frozen when doing the CHKDSK?

Bear in mind that it can take several hours to run and may look like it is doing nothing for several minutes at time.

deepreddave
    Free Member

Thanks. Have backed stuff up so no worries there. And yes it defintely froze and was doing nothing. Trip to techy computer wizards seemingly takes a step closer….. as does notes disappearing out of my bank account 🙁

GrahamS

Can you remember what step it froze at?

The best disc recovery tool I’ve used is called SpinRite, but it does cost money.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘CHKDISK/SCANDISK – a better alternative?’ is closed to new replies.