Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Chiropractors – A pain in the neck?
  • shoefiti
    Free Member

I’m thinking of visiting a chiropractor as i’ve been getting a sore lower back and have a significant (what i believe to be as it’s visible) hip imbalance from an accident when i was younger.

Has anyone had any experience of chiropractors and if they would actually be of any help, or should i just by some lucky heather from a gypsy and set fire to a few hundred quid instead?

hora
    Free Member

2x£35 visits to an Oestoepath. Sorted. Sorted me out. The Chiropracter before wanted £120 upfront for a XRay and said it would likely to be £350-400 in total. Wanted me to sign a form saying I understood this and had the means to pay. This is before he laid a finger on me.

I made my excuses and left.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I prefer osteopathy to chiropractic. Proper rigorous scientific evaluation of them shows no benefit however I personally believe I have found benefit from osteopathy and chiropractic as do many others. As in all professions there is a huge variation in what you get – from 10 mins treatment to an hour at the same cost

hora
    Free Member

The Ostepath said he would probably see me 3 times max- then comeback whenever I felt there was a need. Said recommend say in 3months time but no pressure at all. He looked at me from head to foot and all joints (hip etc) not just spine as it wasnt just my spine that affected my bad back. Its way I stood with my hips- basically a set of muscles was badly knotted around my ass/hip area (I always thought it was the early onset of Arthritis!)

geoffj

You could try a Physiotherapist.

voiplondon
    Free Member

You might be better with the bonfire in the long run. I tried one years ago and only ended up with a sleeker looking wallet. This would be a sample of 1 of course.

I think the studies have shown that they might be able to help lower back pain. Don’t expect better results than a traditional physio though.

You might find this interesting null

I think podcasts 10, 11 and 27 have some info on the bonecrackers.

cinnamon_girl

shoefiti – sounds very much like what I have. Would strongly advise you go on personal recommendation. I had x-rays taken and a thorough bio-mechanical assessment with a chiropractor who was recommended. Sorted me out where other medical people had failed.

RepacK
    Free Member

Some people get on with them – some dont, go & have a couple of sessions & see how you get on. Have a bit of a read around so your a little more informed before you go. Many pro riders regularly see a Chiropractor. As for the practice having no scientific benefit, thats just tosh. There is plenty of proof to show the benefit of regular manipulation. Unfortunately its a practice which is still seen as being alternative by some & therefore a little bit quack.

richc
    Free Member

I had lower back pain, and a a odd neck problem, 6 sessions later back pain gone and no more neck pain. Worth every penny in my book, however they are different types of Chiropractor so its well worth checking the GCC website to make sure you are getting a fully qualified one.

Best recommendation I’ve seen, is the one I went to had a waiting room full of Polish builders, who wanted to get fixed as quickly as possible so they could get back to work and they didn’t even bother with a GP as they didn’t want pain killers, they wanted the problem fixed.

willmalein
    Free Member

I’ve had mainly good experiences with chiropractors, the only time it didn’t work is when i needed more of a medical intervention and being stood on wasn’t the best of ideas.
    Interestingly i did do a short critical appraisal of chiropractice as part of my medical degree and I did find plenty good evidence that it is benificial to many people, esp with lower back pain.

shoefiti
    Free Member

I had some ‘deep muscle massage’ from a physio – in the hip/butt area, and she streched out the hip on later visits, she said i had a lot of scare tissue and knots in the muscle around the hip area, it felt great afterwards, the best it had felt in over 10 years, that was a year ago but now it’s just as bad as before, so i’m thinking a misalignment somewhere maybe contributing to an ongoing problem.

I’ve got medical insurance, so i might see if i can claim with that, worth a shot i suppose.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Chiropractors – A pain in the neck?’ is closed to new replies.