Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Chippie in Truro – calling surf-mat
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Matt – any recommendations ? My brother can’t find a good one yet….

iDave
    Free Member

his awesome body knows not of such vile comestibles – shame on you

wallop

I know a good guy called Andrew House – not sure if he does domestic stuff though – what are you after?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Lol! Good point. Surely he must know, he knows everything ( and came up trumps with a recommendation a couple of weeks ago TBF)

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Chippie as in chip shop, not carpenter, thanks anyway 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I think he is talking about carpenters dave.

EDIT: oh, apparently not 🙂

wallop

😆

nicolaisam
    Free Member

The one by Solo music used to be good.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Back on the forum – Matt – do you have any recommendations?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Sorry for the delay – got an ill little boy who is needing a lot of attention (throat infection)!

You have three to choose from – I like Harbour Lights on Lemon Quay but the Sole Plaice at the top of Pydar St (next to the betting shop nearish Mothercare) is decent too and you can eat in. Walkers is a bit average – near the Cathedral.

If you can be ar5ed to drive about 12 miles, the Port and Starboard in the comically named “Indian Queens” is very good and you can eat there too.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Ohh dear…. My brother just tried the Harbour Lights last night and says it was rubbish.

I shall pass on your thoughts to him though…

Ta 🙂

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

MF – we’ve found it okay. Not top notch but fairly decent. Maybe stick to Sole Plaice – always been good!

Steins has a newish fish and chip place in Falmouth which should be good. His fish and chips from Padstein are definitely top notch.

scuttler

Chippy.

Stein’s in Falmouth doesn’t have the queues like the one in Padstow. Apparently Harbour Lights in Falmouth is also very good – http://www.harbourlights.co.uk/

Looks like Falmouth’s the plaice. Ba-dum-chhhh.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

You’re speaking pollocks scuttler…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yep, I’d have saidwritten “Chippy” for chip shop and “Chippie” for the chap what works with wood and that. Still, he’s from Harrogate or Leeds or somewhere like that. You can’t blame him. 😉

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

A pleasant Summer’s day in these parts includes a blast from here to Falmouth in the boat, fish and chips at Harbour Lights or Steins and then a stop at one of the number of seaside pubs with pontoons in the area.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Wow.

I so want Surf-Mat’s life…
    …as long as I don’t have to have my wife as my boss. 8)

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Still, he’s from Harrogate or Leeds or somewhere like that. You can’t blame him.

Yeah, but at least we do great fish n chips in Harrogate 😛

But I do stand corrected – it is a chippy.

And we do chip butties.

And some of them still cook in beef dripping (far superior taste IMO).

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Ooooh DD you do kill me.

Your boss is calling – he wants another biscuit and says that flooring effort is cr4p. Hurry up laddio.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

They have just got back to me and agree that Sole Plaice is the best (of a bad bunch) so far. Either we do better fish n chips oop North or he just doesn’t have the same sophisticated palette you Southerners have.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yay – he couldn’t stop himself. Only messing with you mate. Btw, if my boss was calling, it’d be a bit weird…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Cornwall stopped doing anything well years ago…apart from whinging about the people that they screw every Summer. Shithole of a county nowadays. I imagine it’s nice in the Winter when there’s nobody around.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Errrmmm – what’s happened since then? Had it changed without us noticing?

Don’t forget, I lived in Bristol for 8 years. You haven’t ever lived in Cornwall. So I know better than you.

Best get that A3 very well secured because car crime in Bristol (and bike crime) is pretty much out of control. Meanwhile I’ll occasionally forget to lock our cars and not worry one bit.

Hey at least you’ve got the crazy wilds of Ashton Court and Leigh Woods to ride in and the stunning waters of Avonmouth docks to play on.

EXTREME!

molgrips
    Free Member

Have to admit that I’d rather Cornwall than Bristol.

However I’d rather Wales than either of them 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Edited…

I really can’t be bothered today.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

County Kerry – part of a country about to go bust. Hmm – must move there now.

Moaning about tourists? Really? Don’t see much of it myself being a friendly lot down here overall. Maybe they weren’t keen on you because your a boring floorer from Bristol?

We enjoyed Bristol most of the time we were there then it got tiresome. The crime, the chavs, the wannabees, the lack of any proper countryside, the traffic that think it’s London but isn’t, etc, etc.

Still if you prefer this:

to this:

Then who am I to argue?

dooosuk
    Free Member

So I know better than you

I know very little/pay little attention to Surf Mat and what he posts but the above quote does seem to sum him up from what I can work out. 8)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Like I said, I can’t be bothered Mat…

…I find it a bit creepy though that you trawl around for details of people’s jobs, cars, personal lives etc. though. That is worrying from your point of view.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I have a memory – you have mentioned flooring several times as well as Bristol. And I posted a few bits on your A3 thread. Hardly rocket science or stalking. I’m sure you know what I drive, what job I do and roughly where I live – it’s just information retention.

Doos – yes yes of course, whatever. But you do tend to get to know a place better by LIVING there for many years rather than just spending the odd holiday there.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

guy called Andrew House

and he doesn’t do domestic? 😐

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

A3 thread

Ahem…
    …A4 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I do have to say though Matt that my brother is finding the people in Truro really hard work – he is a really friendly, chatty sort of guy who talks to anyone and always has a big smile on his face yet he is already saying that everyone seems to be really hard work and insular.

Perhaps they don’t trust him because of his accent and think he is an emmet?

I’m sure you know what I drive

Nope, none of us have a clue Matt, you have never mentioned it. 😉

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

mf – TBH it might not help (the accent)! But you need to work at it a bit and you’ll end up with many friends for life. Took a year or two to get “established” in our village yet now everyone (pretty much) knows us, waves to us, buys our little one presents, etc.

Can depend a bit on area too – some places are a bit “local” like St Agnes, other places seem very friendly like Perranporth and even Newquay. Tell him to stick with it – before he knows it, he’ll be laughing. Good pubs are the key – ones near him are the Victoria Inn and the Oak Tree – both are fairly reasonable.

molgrips
    Free Member

Mat I think DD was just having a laugh.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Mol – so was I. In my own special way 😉

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Let’s hope so Matt – he made a big move and has so far found most of it a bit dis-spiriting (apart from the proximity to beaches which he loves).

The food hasn’t been as good, the pubs not as good, the neighbours are odd (one goes to get McDonald’s in her PJs, another argues over tiny little bits of shit like when the communal lawn needs cutting, complaining about my brother’s caravan being in the way (even though it is on his drive).

His wife is finding the same with people – no-one seems friendly nor give her any kind of eye contact, pushing by her in shops etc.

Perhaps they were spoilt living in God’s Own Country for so long?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

special

Aye matey, we know you’re special 😉

I was just having a laugh by the way…and it was a cheap one. Ireland going broke doesn’t make Kerry any less beautiful. It’ll just be more affordable when I want to visit again. Have you ever been though? Worth a visit (with your board) if you are over that way. It is a truly stunning county with a breathtaking coastline.

A4 is being picked up next Thursday 🙂

PrinceJohn

he is a really friendly, chatty sort of guy who talks to anyone and always has a big smile on his face

Down here people are too cool to smile & chat.. Does your brother ride?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I have been – in fact we went last year and stayed here:
    Castle Cove

Best pubs in the World, great views (did some fell running up the nearby mountains – stunning) but utterly utterly bu66ered by the banking crisis. Whole villages left empty, food prices were insane and the place seemed right on the brink.

Took the board but onshore winds/storms all week.

Doh on the A4 – see not that much of a stalker 😉

MF – more than happy to introduce your bro to some local riders/surfers/whatever if that would help?

maxray
    Free Member

now everyone (pretty much) knows us, waves to us, buys our little one presents, etc

The local celeb of Truro.. they must have read about your postings on here!

massive LOLs please never leave STW surfmatt you make me laugh.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Chippie in Truro – calling surf-mat’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts