Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Chinese supplier of decent carbon forks?
  • woody74

Anyone recommend any eBay, Aliexpress, etc suppliers of carbon forks. I’m looking for some road disk forks with bolt thru axle.

rOcKeTdOg

Had no issues with my flyxii road forks

Big-Bud
    Free Member

chinese carbon forks -i just wouldnt

oliverracing

I’m happy to ride homebuilt carbon frames, but no-name/hylix Chinese forks is the limit for me, I’ve seen far too many failures (especially steerers) to have any confidence!

mashiehood
    Free Member

Oliverracing – are these failures on the Internet? Can you show me some examples, genuine questions as I am looking at some for my project

plus-one

I’ve put 9 months into a chinese cx frame/fork(proper off road) and plenty miles…

No issues .. Friend bought a whiskey carbon(copy) fork from ebay again no issues …

Not sure on bolt through availability though ?

I agree there are plenty Internet images/scaremonger stories re-chinese carbon but Ive never seen any hard proof or failures first hand.. Between myself and riding/club mates we have over 50 items of Chinese carbon from frames/wheels/saddles/forks/seatposts/bars all in regular hard use and no problems ..

Can’t all be coincidence !! 🙂

wwaswas

Just ordered a 29er 15mm carbon fork from flyxii for $130 – I’ll let you know if I die.

unovolo
    Free Member

Just ordered a 29er 15mm carbon fork from flyxii for $130 – I’ll let you know if I die.

I recently ordered the Q/R dropout version of this too,so will update once recieved.

Also ordered a Carbon seatpost which just turned up this morning, other than a bit of release agent/Bladder film(which a quick rub with my finger removed) still in the base of the post it appears to be quite nicely finished.
    Insides are smooth and have regular finish and the front/rear walls are thicker than the sides to add strength very much like Alloy posts I already own.
    206gm on my digital scales for a 31.6mm post seems decent enough.

globalti
    Free Member

Carbon Components with their eXotic brand. Very good forks.

dobo
    Free Member

I bought 15mm bolt through 29er forks on ebay from ICAN

Geometry looked good and works well on my cube 29er. Delivery was quicker than expected and email comms was good. there was customs which i expected.
    Only done about 100km all off road, so far so good. IF i discover anything wrong with them i will post back.
    They are more direct and less flexy than my old exotics but also absorb vibration really well compared to my carbon/alu cx forks.

edit

although im happy with mine so far, i’m not going to recommend them to anyone and if they want piece of mind buy from a UK shop.

oliverracing

this, and when the on-one forks are £105 I’d happily spend the extra

wiiija
    Free Member

How on earth did they snap in that area?

oliverracing

dodgy carbon layup would be my guess, add in a crash/impact with a torsional load and bye-bye teeth

lightman
    Free Member

Yeah, very good because big name branded carbon forks never break!
    You will ALWAYS find some sort of carbon breakage if you search for it.
    Thousands and thousands of people buy and use cheap Chinese carbon, myself included, and we have yet to die or get injured.

As with any product, just check it over properly before use.

oliverracing

I can’t agree more, and I know I’ll end up buying a set of hylix/ican/flyxxi forks when I see a set going cheap, and I know they will work flawlessly for years!

woody74

If only we knew which factories made branded forks or even on-one forks. At least we would then know the factory was half decent.

dobo
    Free Member

The story about the hylix fork is on mtbr. It seems an odd place to break and the story seems unbelievable but who knows.

oliverracing

I’m guessing Brant won’t be able to release that information? No harm in asking I guess… brant brant brant (does the mention his name 3 times trick still work now he is on his new project?)

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

That’s not the first failure I’ve seen on a Scott road bike….

OP of all the components on a bike surely the fork is the last place you want to buy cheap….

T666DOM

Another vote for flyxii, Ive had a set of 29er MTB forks and a set of cyclocross forks I use evryday on my commute. Both forks have been spot on so far. Just got a set of carbon fat bike forks only 2 rides old but haven’t exploded yet!!

brant
    Free Member

I’m guessing Brant won’t be able to release that information? No harm in asking I guess… brant brant brant (does the mention his name 3 times trick still work now he is on his new project?)

No

eshershore
    Free Member

I like this one.

Eventually we got the truth of her, she was not just riding along, that she had ridden into the back of a parked car, and no it was not covered under warranty!

wwaswas

update on this – mine are with RM who want £13 to process the £11 customs charge I’ve been given.

On a more positive note they should be delivered to me tomorrow.

wwaswas

Arrived yesterday.

Looked fine cosmetically, peering down the steerer tube they’re consistent internally too (which was born out once the steerer was cut). Weighed just under 700g with the steerer cut and the 15mm QR Axle fitted.

Fitted yesterday lunchtime and did a 13 mile ride on the Downs and in the woods last night and I’m still alive. Ride feel is very much like a carbon fork (surprise!) – solid but with a nice bit of give on trail chatter and roots.

I like them.

Downsides?

The ’15mm QR axle’ is just that – like a QR with an external nut and one end and the lever the other – it’s not a captive nut like other 15mm axle’s I’ve seen. Probably not an issue but something else to fiddle with when fitting a wheel.

Also, there’s no positive location for the wheel like a slot or flange to rest it on within the fork legs – you have to hold the fork in the right place for the axle to go through.

It’s all solid once assembled though.

v12jat
    Free Member

any chance of some pictures? been thinking of getting some of these for my 29er.

wwaswas

Few pics:

oh, one other thing – it needs another hose guide near the top of the fork leg.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Chinese supplier of decent carbon forks?’ is closed to new replies.