Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Chinese lights and batteries. Enlighten me (geddit?)
  • mattbibbings
    Free Member

I have been a very satisfied user of different Cheapo Chinese lights over the years without giving it much extra thought. Just been feeling smug that it has never cost me much.

I now though have questions about the batteries. After reading about some dodgy ones (mine have never been) it seems that battery quality is a bigger deal in light output than perhaps I first thought.

So, two questions.
    1. Will a different battery improve my mj 872 or solar storm x2 performance?
    2. If yes, why and which one?

Ps. I have the stock batteries that came with both and am not smart enough to know any details about them.

bighendo
    Free Member

1/… runtime = yes
    2/ performance = no, since they would be the same voltage
    3/ … http://www.mtbbatteries.co.uk

pussywillow
    Free Member

bighendo – Member
    1/… runtime = yes
    2/ performance = no, since they would be the same voltage
    3/ … http://www.mtbbatteries.co.uk

Haha, they’ve stopped selling the single 18650 batteries! 👿
    Sure they use to sell em there for £12 for two, reckon people were just buying two sets and bonding em together saving over half price, now they just been greedy charging £51 for one of them batteries to suit the x2!

smudge
    Free Member

FYI

With the recent rise in postage costs it was no longer profitable to sell the twin cell batteries without putting them up in price. With the little demand anyway I decided to no longer stock them.

They were protected cells with flat caps, so it would not have been advisable to solder directly on to them unless you like the danger of one exploding in your face?!

Those £51 batteries you are referring too are made from high quality Samsung 2.6Ah cells. Replacement batteries for our light range are available on request at a cheaper price.

One thing mtbbatteries is not and that is greedy, look at our feedback and customer support on here plus our recent review in MBUK. Greed has never once been mentioned.

pussywillow
    Free Member

smudge – Member
    FYI

With the recent rise in postage costs it was no longer profitable to sell the twin cell batteries without putting them up in price. With the little demand anyway I decided to no longer stock them.

They were protected cells with flat caps, so it would not have been advisable to solder directly on to them unless you like the danger of one exploding in your face?!

Those £51 batteries you are referring too are made from high quality Samsung 2.6Ah cells. Replacement batteries for our light range are available on request at a cheaper price.

One thing mtbbatteries is not and that is greedy, look at our feedback and customer support on here plus our recent review in MBUK. Greed has never once been mentioned.

POSTED 6 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Oh come on! Behave yourself! 😆
    I bloody knew it though, makes sense dunnit, but the prices didn’t, you’d charged twice as much for the £51 batteries just cos they were solded together! 🙄
    This is why I always stock with Chinese, have done for the past 6 years and never had a problem, they would probably last me longer than the years use I use them but cos they’re so cheap and lights keep getting better it’s a brilliant opportunity to upgrade 8)
    As for being greedy, well we all start getting greedy when we think we’ve made a name for ourselves! 😀
    But keep up the good work cos they all seem to love u on here. 😉

z1ppy

A new low PW.. as if rubbish trolling wasn’t bad enough, now your slagging off one of the really decent ppl on STW. You can’t post enough smiley’s to hide your pathetic attempt at smearing the reputation a genuinely nice guy.
    I’ve never met Mark, but have dealt him since 2008, I don’t “love” him but do respect his abilities, attention to detail and customer service which is second to none. The battery he supplied, then fixed free of charge (well after a year), is still my main stay now 5.5 years later. I’d suggest that worth paying a little more for one. I’ve had other help and one of his torches since and am more than happy to recommend his services to anyone.

If he’s making such a packet, how come no one else is doing it?

pussywillow
    Free Member

Oh yeah zippy he’s only doing it all out of the goodness of his heart cos he’s such a lovely man! 😆
    Alls I’m saying is it’s strange how since people have cottoned on to buy two sets of them 18650 batteries and solder them together which works out less than half the price! he has stppped selling them, how can it be too expensive to post? Other UK companies still sell and post single batteries.
    He probably is a far nicer guy than me but I’m just stating facts pal. 🙂

Clobber
    Free Member

z1ppy +100

PW you’re personally slagging off someone you’ve never ordered from and something you’ve never even used. Well out of order.

Keep buying your cheap chinese rubbish if you want but don’t slag off someone who provides products that are tried/tested/safe which perform time after time with as advertised proper capacity and next day service to back it up if things were to go wrong.

Buy (or even stock) cheap crap over and over or buy once from mtbbatteries.

tomhoward

PW, still selling those fake TLD shorts? or was that a stupid trolling atempt too?

IME Smudge and mtb-batteries have been faultless.

Breaktime has finished now though, hasn’t it? Double geography next?

trout
    Free Member

Just maybe with the volatile nature of Li ions Smudge doesn’t want folks soldering his packs together and the possible bad effects it could have on the user .

I have known Mark as a friend and battery supplier for years and Batteries are his livelihood so he will have an excellent reason for removing a product from his lineup

PW you do the guy a disservice
    and by the way Royal mail will no longer take just Lithium batteries and if they find them in a package will dispose of them I know this from bitter experience

pussywillow
    Free Member

tomhoward – Member
    PW, still selling those fake TLD shorts? or was that a stupid trolling attempt too?

No, haven’t got any left, and no it wasn’t a trolling attempt, it was genuine, not the shorts mind! 😆

Buy (or even stock) cheap crap over and over or buy once from mtbbatteries.

Why do people always think that cheap stuff has to be crap? That’s just utter bollox, in most cases anyhow! My Chinese batteries and lights are still all going strong it’s just I choose to upgrade every year cos I can and at that price why not! I’ve only had the odd light that had a loose connection after using it for a couple years, and that’s nothing that can’t be fixed with a soldering iron.
    I shouldn’t have called you greedy smudge, at the end of the day your making a living and were all greedy **** at times! 😉

ransos
    Free Member

IME Smudge and mtb-batteries have been faultless.

+1.

mattbibbings
    Free Member

Jeese… I only wanted to ask about battery performance. Can we all please be nice and get back on topic.

binners

at the end of the day your making a living and were all greedy **** at times!

Speak for yourself. Having dealt with Smudge again this week, for a new battery, the service you get is absolutely top notch. And bloody hell… his kit is hardly pricey!

You stick with your cheap crap if you like. Though I’d hate the idea of you stuck in a forest, on your own, in the dark, because your lights had failed. That would be awful!

He probably is a far nicer guy than me

Well at least you seem to have managed to get one thing in your posts correct. So… well done you!

smudge
    Free Member

I would guess your standard battery is rated 7.4V at ~4.4Ah (4 cells)

To improve the performance you would need a larger capacity battery say 6.6Ah (6 cells) for the lights to run longer.

But also bear in mind using a higher capacity battery it will also take longer to charge the battery.

** Thanks for the support guys, but can we let it lie now as I really dont want it turning into a slanging match **

Clobber
    Free Member

At the OP, you should have better run times as quality cells will maintain their voltage for a longer period of the discharge curve. They will also repeat this with less degradation over their life.

MTBBatteries chargers will also look after them for longer.

Basically you should get consistent power for longer which won’t degrade so much over time.

benp1

Does anyone make a battery holder with built in lead that will take two 18650 cells, that way you could charge them together or individually

Could be made to be waterproof too. A bit like the Fenix BT20 battery pack

rob-jackson
    Free Member

smudge – just contacted you via your website re lumenator batteries and a charger problem

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Chinese lights and batteries. Enlighten me (geddit?)’ is closed to new replies.