Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Chinese Carbon (tripods)
  • mrjmt
    Free Member

Does anybody have a chinese carbon camera tripod?

Ideally I’m after something with 3 section legs and around 150cm height without centre column raised.

Any reports good / bad?

pacef8
    Free Member

Redsnapper will do everything you need in the uk.

jwr

I have a Benro three section tripod and head. It’s superb. Used it for years. Pretty light and very well made.

m1kea
    Free Member

You’ll probably find that Gitzo and Really Right Stuff are the only legs that AREN’T made in China/Taiwan these days.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I have a Feisol carbon. Very nice, solid, adaptable and loads of options. I got mine about 8 years ago and it was great value then. Exchange rate will affect the price and you might have to pay duty so factor that in.

m1kea
    Free Member

Whatever brand you go with, make sure the leg releases are ‘quick release’ / ‘twist lock’ / select your marketing phrase.

My Feisol doesn’t have this feature and whilst it is only a minor irritation (#1stworldproblems)it does detract from the overall appeal and usability.

(Yes I am a fussy git)

mrjmt
    Free Member

Redsnapper will do everything you need in the uk.

These look ideal, I was struggling to find a chinese one tall enough. The red snapper carbon legs look great.

Any comments on their alloy vs. carbon? Also the difference between their two ball head offerings?

m1kea
    Free Member

Can’t speak for Redsnapper but I can compare a Manfrotto 055 alloy against 3 CF tripods.

The frotto has the flip locks which aren’t nearly as secure as twist locks (see earlier comment). It’s a lot more laterally flexy (primarily down to the locks again), heavier and come winter, very cold to handle.

You also need to be more careful cleaning and drying alloy legs when they’re wet, especially with sea water.

For ball heads, get the highest load rating you can. A quick whizz around WEX shows lighter, yet higher load offerings from other brands such as Benro

Cougar

Also the difference between their two ball head offerings?

5Kg vs. 10Kg max load looks to be the biggest difference.

I’ve been hungering for a tripod for a couple of years now. I think this is the first one I’ve seen that meets all my requirements and isn’t stupid money. £90 for a monopod-able tripod and head isn’t too shabby at all.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Chinese Carbon (tripods)’ is closed to new replies.