Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Chimney Qs MTFU or Mr Sensible ?
  • oldfart

Now those who know me are aware of my recent health problems .Basically 2 spinal fractures lead to a bone density scan result i've got Osteoporosis.Spine and hips are particularly holey apparently.Now my riding has progressed in the last 9 months and am really enjoying myself again after wondering if it was game over for a while.
    Today solo riding on the Quantocks went down the chimney having heard that Dibbs or Jambo cleared the fallen tree out the way .Because i haven't been down there properly in a long while got my line all wrong.Dropped into the chute to early then i freaked.Stone slabs were glassy and shiney from yesterday's rain .Result i bottled it and WALKED !!!(part of the way )
    So i'm in two minds .Should i accept and be pleased that i can still ride and enjoy 95% of what i did before or should i give myself a hard time about it ?Probably just as well i couldn't be assed to walk back up and have another go .

Junkyard
    Free Member

Given your health be delighted you can ride and dont do anything to risk loosing that joy permanently.
    MTFU and walk without shame or worse go Darkside 😉

woodsman
    Free Member

Pictures of said chimney please, as we're heading to the Q's later in the month.

You did the right thing imo, build up to it if it's a necessity

RichPenny
    Free Member

If you aren't in the right frame of mind to ride it, then there's no point in forcing it. No shame in walking it at all, best to be cautious IMO. I'm having the same issue with some jumps we're building at the moment. I am CERTAIN I'd be fine on this set of doubles, but the head isn't right for them yet. I'm building up confidence on the smaller stuff before I give it another crack.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I walk, fall or clean it in equal proportions and I'm only 40 and perfectly healthy.

woodsman
    Free Member

buzz – are you taking us down it end of the month with Zukemonster's group? Love to see some pics…

Dibbs
    Free Member

In my experience of the Chimney (and I've had more than most) you're more likely to come off by being too cautious. Mind you I'd like to find a way to stop people riding the banks on the top section, "if you're not riding the gully you're not riding the Chimney". 🙄

crispybacon
    Free Member

live to fight another day, there's no point in trying to ride something that's on the limit of your comfort zone & it all goes Pete Tong with the result your off the bike in more ways than one.

There is no shame in mincing down stuff – better that than a trip to A&E.

Anna-B
    Free Member

Come on oldfart just get on with it!

(well they've all been so bloody nice haven't they)

😉

x

knottie8
    Free Member

just get off and walk if you cant do it . No shame in walking , although I usually keep that for uphills not downs.

knottie8
    Free Member

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Discretion is the better part of valour! No point in hurting yourself.

'tis cool to be riding – breaking yourself or your bike is not.

I was delighted to get the tandem down it with only one minor topple over tho

rob1984p
    Free Member

how about doing narnia then the last bit of the chimney rather than all of it in one go?

jam-bo

narnia/dels stump is long gone.

jam-bo

but dibbs. up on the banks are the fun bits. the gully is dull.

saladdodger
    Free Member

Well you have more bottle than me

I would feel alot happier walking the chimney than riding it 😳

But you can imagine the riddicule I would get

Fire away jim dibbs et all

oldfart

knottie thats made me feel better a picture of a GIRL riding it LOL !
    AB how's things long time no see it's about time you got me back for my words of encouragement your direction !!! 😯 x

oldfart

Dibbs that's what i was doing riding the banks at the top !!!Didn't realise the gulley was the correct line ! 😳

knottie8
    Free Member

happy now ….

Anna-B
    Free Member

Comparisons are pointless oldfart, especially when it's ME against YOU………..

(Good thanks! see you soon I hope?)

🙂

rob1984p
    Free Member

so is the track that eventually gets to the second to last corner of the chimney (the one after the downed tree in the photos below) not called narnia then?

sharki
    Free Member

Narnia was the first section from up nearer the road from triscombe, that came out on Rocky horror, the one you're on about is whats left of dels stump/proctors.

FWIW, i ride the gully all the way down to the right hander then take the standard route down.

johnners
    Free Member

I'd like to find a way to stop people riding the banks on the top section

That's mean – I'd like to find a way to stop people taking the chicken run round the log drop on Somerton, but we can't always get what we want…

I think TJ & co did well to manoeuvre a tandem down the Chimney though, whichever bit they were in.

sharki
    Free Member
    TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Johners – we got thru the tricky bit – relaxed and fell off on the easier bit 😳

sharki
    Free Member

Tj, at least you didn't go OTB like Sub did, you only fell off because you were trying to get off and the ground was a little too far away from you…Very graceful though.

woodsman
    Free Member

looks good – the fb video, hopefully we'll be riding that.

oldfart

AB so will you be down the Qs weekend after next then ?

Dibbs
    Free Member

I used to ride to work via the Chimney some mornings, I'd often wonder how long it would take them to find me,if anything was to happen 😯

woodsman
    Free Member

Dibbs – I often have those thoughts on some of my secret singletrack in western sussexshire!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

woodsman: yes, if your Saturday guide has not already taken you there!

I'm not tooo bad at the upper leg as long as I get in the gully at the right point (apologies to Dibbs). But I'm often in two minds about riding the gully or the bank on the lower legs and end up getting confused and dabbing 🙁

woodsman
    Free Member

Cool! I'm sure it's much harder than it looks, video and pics rarely capture how technical trails really are.

No idea what Zm has arranged for Sat, we'll try not to get too pished in the Rose & Crown the night before then Buz! Looking forward to it, think we have eight booked accom.

Cheers

Pete

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Get slaughtered mate 🙂

I think the main difficulty is the rut aspect – it narrow, deep and inescapable and fills up with rocks and loose debris. If you're slightly off-balance you can't correct by changing line. S'fun tho. There's a similar one near Dead Women's Ditch which I like.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Chimney Qs MTFU or Mr Sensible ?’ is closed to new replies.