Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • Chilli growers
  • CheesybeanZ

Anyone else planted thier seeds yet ?

thepurist

Waiting for the signs of germination here – toms are already hardening off outside on the nicer days.

kelvin

Tried to over winter mine this year… they were alive ’till February, then it all went wrong… and I didn’t keep any seeds as a back up plan. Idiot.

CheesybeanZ

Did you freeze any fruit off the plants?

chrishc777
    Free Member

A few winters ago I did chillies in a grow tent with an LED light. They went mental! Kinda defeated the object of caring for them as a hobby but the yield and potency was off the chart

mrwhyte
    Free Member

Got some Hungarian Hot Wax on the go and some Habanero. Last years crop was disastrous! Hoping for better this year.

Also looking forward to heading down to the South Devon Chilli farm this summer. Their open poly tunnel is amazing with all the varieties in. Plus they do a cracking chocolate orange and chilli brownie.

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Mine went into the seed tray last week 👍

Never managed to make over wintering work even with bubble wrap and a paraffin heater.

disco_stu
    Free Member

I tried overwintering my chilli’s for the first time – a jalapeno, hungarian hot wax and padron pepper plant have all made it so far, 3 others didn’t make it.

I’ll hopefully get some seeds in a heated propagator over the weekend.

jambourgie
    Free Member

I’m glad this thread has started. I’ve been kind of bumbling around in the dark with my chilli-plant growing adventures.

About three years ago someone gave me a ‘grow your own chilli plant gift’. (basically a few seeds and a bag of soil). For about two years they didn’t really do anything. There was two tiny plants about three inches high growing in the same pot. No fruit. Then I moved house and started to take more of an interest in them. Split the two plants, cut them drastically down (topping off?) and put them in their own pots with decent compost and placed them in a sunny spot. Since then they’ve gone crazy. Now two luscious green plants around a foot across, populated by loads of little yellow chillis.

I was told the plants only last a season, but here we are… I kind of see them as attractive houseplants rather than food. But would appreciate some advice on whether to remove the fruit etc? The actual chillis have been slowly growing since last spring. Slowed down over winter a bit. Care-wise, I give them a trim when they’re getting too bushy, a good drenching and spray when they wilt. And some Tomorite in the summer.

Like I said, I kind of came into this by accident. Would not consider myself green-fingered by any stretch of the imagination but seem to be doing something right. My flat is quite sunny and warm which I suppose is perfect for them.

aP
    Free Member

Got half a dozen potted into 4″ puts are germinating in a 12 plug tray a few weeks ago. Going to sow some habanero and cayenne this weekend.
    Did broad beans last weekend, going to sow some herbs this weekend s well.

kelvin

Well done disco_stu! I feel cheated.

Yes, I did freeze fruit… but I used the last ones in cooking in early Feb, as it looked like the plants had made it through. Yes, I am an idiot.

robbie
    Free Member

Been thinking about growing some for a while now. Got an empty unused greenhouse. Any tips on getting started and links for seeds?
    Cheers

geck0

Have a large Hungarian Hot Wax in my south facing office window at work. It has continued to flower and produce fruit through its second winter. Not bad for North Ayrshire

ebygomm
    Free Member

I’m starting mine off this weekend.

I’ve got some Hungarian Black which were a great success last year and some others that I got from my secret santa but can’t remember the name of.

Mine all go outside so no point starting them off too early, whenever I’ve tried to keep them in doors they get infested with greenfly.

sirromj

No not yet. Again. Was hoping to, as upgraded from dank courtyard to sunny garden but not had time yet. Was planning on building a cold frame attached to the front of my shed, and get a heated propergater in there, but keep forgetting about it.

One year I grew a few too many chilli plants and somehow convinced my parents to have a couple of them, and they flourished in their porch where it caught the sun all year round and sat on top of their tumble dryer.

andy4d

Planted a couple of cayenne seeds about a week ago but no signs yet………

nixie

Still got last year’s growing in our lounge. New set of flowers appeared recently. Not yet planted this year’s seeds.

boombang
    Free Member

I like Prairie Fire plants. The chillies aren’t great, hot withour kuch flavour, but the plants can be shaped in a bonsai kind of way and the chillies turn (sometimes) into all sorts of lovely colours.

moonwrasse
    Free Member

Mexican Twilight has over wintered in the lounge this year, it’s just started flowering again the past week.
    Hot wax, lemon drop and hamik are going in this weekend.

mrsheen
    Free Member

I used up the last of some old seeds last year then moved a few outside in the summer once a few inches high.

I had plenty of flowers but then the plant was covered in tiny seeds instead of chilli fruit.

Any ideas?

bob_summers

Oooh. Been thinking about this recently.
    I get through a few green chilis a day, the typical ones used in Indian cooking. Hard to find here, I get them mail order from Madrid and freeze them. Not ideal.

I am historically terrible with plants though.
    How much light do they need? My sole balcony gets about an hour of sun a day.

Failing that I can ask a mate if I can plant some on his allotment.

Can I use the seeds of my frozen ones?

slowol

Yet to get my chilli seeds in, hopefully this week.

For seeds I try to get heirloom varieties and /or organic seed. Not usually more expensive and better for diversity etc.

I get most of my seeds from Real Seeds and the Seed Cooperative although both seem to be struggling to keep up with demand at present.
    Premier Seeds Direct are pretty good, and cheap, and low post costs and have an organic range.

The Real Seeds website explains how to save seed from chillis. I’ve no idea whether freezing would kill them or not but could be worth a try if they’re your favourites, although if they’ve be grown as food they may not be single variety seeds but an interesting new sort.

Edit: Drying chillis works well to preserve them too. Hang them on a string above a radiator for a few weeks until crispy. Chuck any that go mouldy and put the dried ones in a jar to use until fresh ones appear in late summer.

https://www.realseeds.co.uk/
    https://seedcooperative.org.uk/
    https://www.premierseedsdirect.com/product-type/hot-chilli-pepper-organic/

bob_summers

Drying chillis works well to preserve them too

I do that with other types, but it doesn’t really work in this case as I mash the chilis into masala paste, or throw em fresh on top of stuff. Sadly, given my skills, growing is the only way to go here!

CheesybeanZ

My sole balcony gets about an hour of sun a day.

I wouldn’t have thought that was anywhere near enough sunlight.
    They need around 18°~24° to germinate, a friend grows his in a open ended poll tunnel after they’ve been hardened off and re potted .

I’m only growing Scotch bonnets this season, heat and fruity flavour.

CheesybeanZ

@robbie,
    Start them inside- unless you’ve got a heated greenhouse.
    Once them have germinated and you’ve potted them up its pretty difficult to kill them , water regularly and only feed when they’ve set fruit . Tomato food is fine .

🌶🌶🌶

boxwithawindow
    Free Member

First time having a go as my new house has a green house so I’ve just bought red aji, purple tiger and Carolina reaper seeds. I don’t envisage much luck with the reapers but I’m keen to try.

Coyote
    Free Member

Planted Basket of Fire, Cayenne, Habanero and Scotch Bonnet. Some signs of germination but still a bit early yet. Going to keep a couple indoors and see how long I can keep them going for and put some on the patio. I might even try a couple in the borders see how they get on. I did the radiator trick last autumn with the last of the crop and it worked well.

CheesybeanZ

8 out of 13 , not bad .

squirrelking
    Free Member

Have a large Hungarian Hot Wax in my south facing office window at work. It has continued to flower and produce fruit through its second winter. Not bad for North Ayrshire

It’s not called Charlie is it? Although now I think it’s probably more of a western face.

water regularly and only feed when they’ve set fruit

More specifically watering should be little and often should it not? The guy at work who grew the above told me that and considering it went from about 40cm to touching the ceiling in a number of weeks I’d be inclined to agree. That was on a diet of food balls and tomato feed, leaves were kept dry and lots of heat plus 24h light. I can see why chrishc had similar success. Offices are the way to go if you can keep people away from the water.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Are you supposed to pick the fruit? Or does it drop off when ready? I mean, how can one be sure that they’ve stopped growing?

z1ppy

The actual chillis have been slowly growing since last spring. The actual chillis have been slowly growing since last spring.

WTAF? You normally pick them, they go from green to red and don’t increase in size as they change colour, so you pick them when there fully red. It’s normally pretty obvious.
    I treat mine like my tomato plants, don’t overwater, don’t under water.. this thread has had me drag a 3 year old frozen chilli out of the freezer to see if the seed will grow (I had that many, I’ve not needed to grow them again since..), if not I’m meander down to a local plant nursery and buy some.

CheesybeanZ

More specifically watering should be little and often should it not?

Indeed, I usely let a couple of plants (mature with fruit) get stressed from lack of water then really water and feed them, seems to make the chillies hotter 🌶🌶🌶🌶

jimmy

I grew some the past couple of years, overwintered last year indoors but crops weren’t great last year so left them in the shed. Did fine until January and didn’t survive the freezer. Have some free seeds that came gardeners world so will get them in this week.

jambourgie
    Free Member

WTAF? You normally pick them, they go from green to red and don’t increase in size as they change colour, so you pick them when there fully red. It’s normally pretty obvious.

Nope. Mine are yellow. They’ve always been yellow.

z1ppy

Ok, blasé response, I’m just amazed it’s still fruiting, it seems very strange as my fruit would wither if left too long. Do you know what strain they were, as yellow is normally an intermediary stage before going red, but your might just be yellow chilli, if they were never green? So I’d be tempted to pick them, to allow the next seasons fruit to appear? I did some (YouTube)research & found a recommendation of a 10ltr+ pot, as optimal for getting a good crop but they’ll grow to a size, that suits the pot you use. Use a high potash compost, & weak tomato feed a couple of times a week in growing season.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I’m giving it a go in true bike buying fashion i have purchased on look.

So i have popped some spaghetti, dawn and fairy lights in the propagator.

CheesybeanZ

Does anyone else turn thier seedlings 🌱
    So they grow straight 🤔

andy4d

Yep, every day while they are still small, probably won’t when the are bigger.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I have fairly successful germination from two varieties i planted. The third has been woeful

thepurist

My first batch were very sporadic after about 4 weeks so I sowed some more, which of course prompted the first lot to start springing up, and the second lot have been successful too.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Chilli growers’ is closed to new replies.