Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Chilli con Carne….what do you add to make it yours ?
  • maxray
    Free Member

Half shin or braising and half pork tenderlion. Dark chocolate and some dark beer to cook the meat off initially too. Nom nom 🙂

CHB

Cubed beef (like tiny 1cm cubes) nicer than mince, also and this is the biggest ingredient that really changes the dish…cumin! Not the ground stuff, but the whole cumin you get from the asian supermarkets. Grind it a smidge in mortar and pestel before adding.
    Plain chocolate also good.

derek_starship
    Free Member

What’s this frying off and cooking off bollocks? What is the OFF for?

sbob
    Free Member

derek_starship – Member

My Mum would love you. 😆

Cougar

Bananas and a 2B pencil.

I tried that once, ended up with lead poisoning.

mooman
    Free Member

Red wine .. plenty of garlic.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Yep, i’m with you on that. If anything is going to be cooked in a sauce then it can just cook in the sauce. No need for any of this frying off nonsense.

Kuco

Prefer chunks of beef rather than mince or even chicken cubed for a change.

malvernite
    Free Member

Bourbon as well as red wine.
    Pork and Beef.
    Highly recommend Sheila Lukins USA Cook Book.
    Still must try the venison one.
    Great american pancake recipes too.

chiefgrooveguru

Where do you get hominy in the UK?

dannyh
    Free Member

Red wine, double the amount of cumin recommended and fried chopped green peppers rather than vile red kidney beans.

The recipe is actually from the beeb, by a woman called Jo Pratt. I can thoroughly recommend it, but put more cumin in than she says!

ali69er
    Free Member

Coffee and beer ftw

daddydave

I use Nigella Lawson recipe which includes chorizo, coriander, cumin and chocolate but no coke. She recommends shin of beef and cooking it for at least three hours, its even better if you freeze it and reheat it again slowly a month or two later.

maxray
    Free Member

I meant cooking off some of the beer liquid before adding everything. Reducing it if you will 😉

dannyh
    Free Member

As well as being a sucker for loads of cumin, I do like using a stack of flour tortillas as pseudo chappattis to scoop and scoff. Some sour cream and guacamole wouldn’t go amiss either.

Oh and a nice cold lager.

Happy to help.

williamnot
    Free Member

Chorizo and a mix of pinto and black eye beans, oh and lots of cumin

garage-dweller

A big splash of Naga/Chipotle sauce for the adults once the children’s portions are on the plates. Heat up and flavor up to change a good child friendly chilli into something a bit heftier. I know it’s a little cheat but it means the whole family can share in a tasty home cooked meal.

And roasted whole chilli’s on the side if other “grown ups” are present to encourage child like competitive behavior over an otherwise civilised lunch.

TooTall
    Free Member

Where do you get hominy in the UK?

A good ethnic minority food store that serves a few nationalities should do the trick. I’ve found it in places like Peterborough Market and the Bristol Sweet Mart.

TheFlyingOx

General onion, red beans, mince tomatoes.
    Then it gets some chipotle sauce, chilli flakes depending on heat required, bit of cumin and a Star Anise. Never had any complaints yet.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Chilli con Carne….what do you add to make it yours ?’ is closed to new replies.