Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Child’s Bike with 18 inch wheels
  • hot_fiat

Small_Fiat #2 has outgrown her small Islabike Cnoc 14. She could progress to a cnoc 16, but is way too fast and needs something with gears. The Cnoc 16 is actually a little small for her anyway. So I tried her on her brother’s Beinn 20, which is the small version. She looks like she’s been plonked on a farm gate & could barely pick it up. Crank-to-seat length are fine, but even with the seat post down to the stops it was too big.

So the question is this: apart from the hideous contraption that looks like a scaffolder has run into a bike shop and gone “nah I can do better than this“, does anyone produce a capable, light weight, 18” wheeled, kid’s bike with gears that isn’t a BSO?

tomd
    Free Member

Dawes do the Blowfish 18. Singlespeed though, seems to be pitched well above BSO but cheaper than Frog, Isla etc.

Squish do an 18″ kid bike. Pricing seem Frog-esque. Singlespeed though.

Our little one went Isla Cnoc 14 to Frog 48. It’s OK but kind of like you it will soon be outgrown but I think it will last long enough to get her to a 20 with gears. Second hand Frog or Hoy as a cheap interim measure?

WillH

Can you get Byk bikes over there? The E350 is very good, my eldest has outgrown his and it’s waiting for the youngest to grow a bit. Byk only make kids’ bikes, rather than small versions of their main range. The standard E350 is a single speed, but I think they also do a three-speed.

lister

You just need some custom 18” disc wheels to go on this:

Mini Beast Downhill MTB – 20″

Job done; thank me later.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Trek and Cannondale both do lightweight 20 inch wheel bikes with small frames which may be a better option . Trek wahoo has trigger shifters , Cannondale quick has twist shifters . Other than that they are very similar .

Harry_the_Spider

I’ve got a Carrera Blast 18 that you can have for £50.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Child’s Bike with 18 inch wheels’ is closed to new replies.