Child’s bike or roof.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Child’s bike or roof.
  • geomickb

Daughter has just got a Frog 48 for Xmas. It is a bit big for slinging in the boot, any tips for sticking on the roof with the others?

Cheers,

Mick

Frog 62 went in the back of the civic from SW Scotland to The Hague with us last year.

3 folk, 3 cases, a bike and a weeks food shop, no probs. 😊

It’ll fit fine in a Thule bike rack if you have a car full and a wee boot though.

Premier Icon robbo1234biking
    Subscriber

I have a mont blanc carrier that fits kids bikes. Like the one below. I have had a 14″ kids bike on there no problem as it fits easily due to the down tube clamp sliding on the metal rail. The Thule ones are a fixed distance so wont fit kids bikes.

https://www.montblancgroup.com/en/other/products/bike-racks/roof-bike-racks/roof-rush-left/729705/

geomickb

Boot isn’t option, we only have a Focus and it’s always full to the gunwales.

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

Child’s bike or roof

I always get those two confused as well.

If it’s on top of a house it’s a roof is how I remember it.

geomickb

Maybe this is how the thread should have gone:

We have a big hole in our roof (carpet, ceiling, TV all soaked and ruined) but my child wants a new bike. I have some cash left over from Xmas, what is a priority?

davewalsh

y tips for sticking on the roof with the others?

Use a Thule 591 / 598 and grip the top tube rather than the down tube if it is too far back.

Premier Icon ratherbeintobago
    Subscriber

Which size wheels is that? We’ve carried an Isla Cnoc 16 on a Thule 598 with no real problems, only thing was that the wheelbase wasn’t quite long enough to strap the front wheel down.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash
    Subscriber

Our kids bikes went on 591s

cb200

As per above posters, clamp the top tube ftw

geomickb

16 inch wheels.

glasgowdan

Thule 591/592 will work fine. I used to clamp my kid’s Isla 14″ to a 591, clamped one wheel and strapped the other to the bar bit with a cam strap

My daughters first Frog bike went on a 591 no probs clamped to the top tube, but I think it was the next bike up from the 48 so you might struggle if the top tube is too low. One option might be to get one of those extendable bars that attach between the seat post and stem and attach to that…I think they’re intended for step through bikes to give them a false top tube for use on bike carriers.

longmover

16″ commencal used to go on the roof all the tine, now replaced by a 20″ commencal.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Tons of kids bikes on roofs up and down the motorway all the time.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.