Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 91 total)
  • Children’s names! HELP!
  • finbar
    Free Member

I worked with an Elouise once, she was a right slapper.

Sorry, massively helpful i know…

Ogg

We called our son Dexter – he was born last Friday and our daughter is called Ursula.

Having the surname Smith made us want something a bit memorable without getting too carried away!
    We really struggled with boys names here’s our short list:

austin
    albert
    alex
    brock
    cornellius
    dexter
    eric
    edgar
    edwin
    marcus
    orson
    ulric
    vincent

We quite liked Tiberius Oberon Smith – but thought it may be a step too far 🙂

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

ssshhh – our little one is due to make an appearance in the world tomorrow and i’m ever so slightly worried…

obviously she will be called mygrandfatherwasawolf.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cousinzeke

our twins are theodore and alexander, with their brother nathaniel.

Other good boys names are caleb and josiah which is almost what we called the twins.

I can’t actually remember what we were going to call them if they had been girls.

chakaping
    Free Member

In a few years time school registers are going to read like the cast of characters from a Dickens novel.

loddrik
    Free Member

Just as well we can choose our own childs names as many of the names on this thread are shocking!!!

As someone with a very unusual Christian name I would suggest people think of their kids, they are the ones who have to live with it their whole lives. I always found mine a pain, always have to spell it/have it misspelt and found it more of a pain tbh.

theotherjonv

My two are Polly and Elsa. My wife chose them both.

I however have nicknamed them. The youngest, Elsa, was a real wriggler and dynamic from very early on, so i nicknamed her Beans, as in ‘full of…’ (also wife has a baby beans doll from when she was small) and it has stuck. So Polly has become Peas, or Pollypeas to match.

donald
    Free Member

Linford Danford.

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

you could call one petal and the other bud?…

chakaping
    Free Member

Same for me Loddrik.

But I still can’t help wanting to call my next child Finbarr, if it’s a boy.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Personally, and I don’t really know why I like it, if you’re going for alliteration, then Darcy Danford sounds excellent for the girl!! 😀

boobs

I quite fancied the name Merlin but my wife decided not. He is now called Ben, our daughter made an appearance and was given the name Eve, which was nowhere near anything we had on a list at the time. Make sure it doesn’t spell anything stupid when all the initials are written.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I hear a story about a friend who was given 3 names and surname it was only when they got to the christening they realised her initials spelt MUCK ….good on em!!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Some awful names there!
    Tiberius (are you serious!)
    Caleb and Josiah – Apprentice mormons?

Stick to something traditional –

Jock
    Boab
    Jim
    Davie
    Rab

or

Agnes
    Senga
    Ina
    Ida
    Bett

Now you’re talkin.

Haha!.

avdave2

We have non identical boy / girl twins. We left the task of naming them to their then nearly 3 year old big sister. Made her feel a lot more involved with her new brother and sister. As it happens I think twins is actually much less of a threat to the existing child as they don’t suddenly see one new person getting all the attention.

chakaping
    Free Member

We have non identical boy / girl twins. We left the task of naming them to their then nearly 3 year old big sister.

So how are Igglepiggle and Upsydaisy getting on then?

RustySpanner

Girls:
    Niambh
    Siobhan
    Heather
    Rosemary

Lads:
    Arthur (due for a comeback)
    Alexander
    Vincent
    Alastair
    Boddington (good middle name, I always thought)

I’m with Flashy and the Feline on this one:
    Diminutive (Alex, Jack, Ben, Jim, Annie, Charlie) names are more suited to pets than humans – for gods sake give them the proper name and let them shorten or colloqialise(?) the name themselves! 🙂
    I’m with the Vicar who refused to Christen a friends child ‘Bill’. Told the parents it was William, or they could think of something else.

Just think of all the 80 odd year olds walking around in the future going by the name of Charlie – firstly, it’s the street name of a particularly nasty drug, secondly, Charlie is a name that not so long ago was exclusively used for budgies and cats. It’s Charles ffs! 😉

In all seriousness though, whatever you choose it’ll be fine, good luck with everything!

Esme
    Free Member

Don’t choose anything that’s difficult to spell – either for the child her/himself, or for other people. I hate it when someone writes my name wrong, especially as my email address has the correct spelling

mudpup
    Free Member

Dickdastardly
    Sprocket
    Dangerous
    Bob (if its a girl)

Kids grow into their names within about 24hrs so whatever you choose will be fine

Unless its Derek of course

Travis

our little bean is someway off yet (November) but the wife has already got the name list down to a couple.

Boy;
    Edward
    Montgomery

Girl
    Effie
    Holly

DezB
    Free Member

Unless its Derek of course

OI!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Effie what the heck is that!!!???????????

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Give them the full names not the diminutive and give them “normal” names. None of this fancy pants Dickensian names or made up ones or Gaelic names unless you are gaels. Family names are good tho

brick
    Free Member

Agree with others about diminutives, Alexander not Alex etc etc.

Our little girl is called Hannah (which no-one has mentioned yet)and is just outside the top 20 names so not too common.
    Her cousin is called Rufus.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I have a mate (Who’s name is Vincent) who’s just had a son called Noah. Brilliant name!

I also know two little boys called Izaac. Again, ace name.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

With a name like Izaac, you have to be certain the surname doesn’t lead to embarrassing words.

Like the guy who lived near me called Eric Hunt… (Seriously – he had a BMW dealership so he always used his middle name in the dealership signs – Eric G. Hunt BMW).

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Radio 1 DJ Sara Cox is son is called Isaaxc … nice!

taka
    Free Member

girls:
    eve
    ella
    ellie
    milly

boys:
    rupert
    robert
    alisder
    tylor

foxylaydee
    Free Member

Boys: Shea , Ryan, Riley, Liam, Michael…. The only girls name i like is Jenna :-/

foxylaydee
    Free Member

cornellius – wtf?????

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Michael

Great name, but alas it is my name and we don’t want to name them after us…

Quite like Riley. Hmmm

taka
    Free Member

michael jrn. 😉

mrsflash
    Free Member

Radio 1 DJ Sara Cox is son is called Isaaxc … nice!

Is his surname cox though? Might not be.

Travis

Munqe-chick I agree…. just a wee hurdle to get over….

Was going through middle names as well… Effie Louise…. sounded like F’ing Louise to me…
    I’m more with Holly myself

djglover
    Free Member

We called our non identical twins Katie and Emily, but if you can choose names that don’t end with the same sound then it will help, as currently they both respond to both names!

djglover
    Free Member

Also twins names should be the same lenght so they can learn to spell them at the same time, eg Sam and Christopher is a no no.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Effie Louise .. that’s great! makes me chuckle everytime I say it! I do like Holly, that’s my niece’s name.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Don’t choose anything that’s difficult to spell – either for the child her/himself, or for other people.

Or something that looks like a misspelling of a normal name – like ‘Jaycub’ or ‘Izaac’ or whatever. They’ll get six different spellings every time someone writes it down, all wrong. Plus it makes people think they have illiterate parents.

Joe

G
    Free Member

Mercedes – Chardonnay

miketually
    Free Member

We went for the shortened versions for both our kids, as we knew we’d never use the full names so there didn’t seem any point in using them. Plus, we’ve a mate called Ben whose parents wanted to just call him Ben but were pressured into calling him Benjamin and regretted it.

Names we were thinking of, but didn’t use: Noah, Sam, Hannah. We really liked Hannah, but we’re from Darlington where the letter ‘H’ as the initial letter in a word is considered optional…

We went for Ellie and Libby in the end. (Geek points: Ellie is named after Samwise Gamgee’s first child.)

Don’t get hung up too much on not choosing the popular names – I was one of four Mike/Michaels in my class at secondary school and it was never an issue and my daughter is on of many Ellies.

We went for simple names, as they’re stuck with McTimoney as a surname for a long time (I’m alliterative).

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘Children’s names! HELP!’ is closed to new replies.