Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Children with pierced ears question
  • mightymule
    Free Member

OK – this is just a question, as I am genuinely curious about people’s opinions. I am not a parent (I “inherited” my stepchildren when they were 13 and 15 years old), so I am sure that I don’t know very much about children and the rearing thereof, but:

I recently met the 18 month old daughter of an acquaintance of mine, and felt shocked, and really rather nauseated to see that her ears had been pierced.

Is it just me, or does this seem to be just not quite right?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Is he / she Spanish?

mightymule
    Free Member

No, but the mother is a bit of a chav. Sorry, I KNOW that’s very judgemental, but it’s true!

jota180
    Free Member

It’s ok if you’re either a Chav or Spanish apparently

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/should-there-be-a-minimum-age-for-piercing

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What about Spanish Chavs?

Markie
    Free Member

It’s not right. Allowing for chav / Spanish exceptions.

RustySpanner

How about circumcision?
    Happy with that?

Or are you just identifying another thing with which to make yourself feel superior to those you see as beneath you?

ART

not just you… I remember not being allowed to have my ears pierced until I was 13 (I think … as it was some time ago .. ahem!) doing it to kids before they are grown up enough to understand and make choices like this for themselves isn’t right IMHO, but they’ll be plenty of people out there who would disagree.

footflaps

Have to say I think children with piercings anywhere is just wrong.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Young children with pierced ears look terrible. Age 10(ish) upwards – fine.

tazzymtb

in the grand scheme of things it’s really not a big issue. Just accept that some folks live differently to you? It’s a much more relaxed way of life. 🙂

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Young children with pierced ears look terrible. Age 10(ish) upwards – fine.

No! 12. Only scum think it’s ok under that age

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

OK, so what about circumcised Spanish chavs who are over twelve?

RustySpanner

What you do with your servants is your own concern.

lightman
    Free Member

Piercings are bad enough, but what about tattoo’s!

Junkyard
    Free Member

😆 @ rusty

Think it looks odd personally and not something I did to my young kids

Stoner
    Free Member

What you do with your servants is your own concern.

I brand mine. They work for someone else over my dead body!

LimboJimbo

I would never employ a child with pierced ears.

seba560
    Free Member

I would never allow a child with pierced ears to give me a tattoo.

mogrim

My 8yr old wants her ears pierced. Half-Spanish, all the girls in her class have pierced ears, so I’ll probably let her.

And now I’ve found out how much it seems to piss some people off, perhaps I’ll get her a tattoo as well 😀

mightymule
    Free Member

How about circumcision?
    Happy with that?

Difficult to say without investigating said child rather more thoroughly than the parents would be entirely happy about…..

Eyepic
    Free Member

I feel that if the children are not old enough to give “invormed” consent … say less than 12.. the person doing the piercing should be charged with ABH and sent to prison ….. no fence sitting here.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I would never allow a pierced, tattoed, chavvy, under-12 Spaniard to circumcise me.

RustySpanner

So no one’s given a sensible answer to the circumcision question then?

Snobbery it is. 🙂

seba560
    Free Member

I feel that if the children are not old enough to give “invormed” consent … say less than 12.. the person doing the piercing should be charged with ABH and sent to prison ….. no fence sitting here.

LOL…….. I think…………… I hope…………..

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Well, if you will take such a cavalier attitude to posting on here, old chap, what do you expect?

RustySpanner

Very good. 🙂

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Its not as bad as stapling a shopping list to their head.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Seems a bit pointless and I don’t know anyone who has had their daughters ears done.

I’m not sure genital mutilation is in the same ball park.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Not read whole thread.

I think doing any (non necessary medical) ‘modifications’ to a child unable in law to give their consent (I reckon that’s under 13 then, as per sex*), is not only a bit sick, but is also illegal, yet we choose to turn a blind eye to it.

Edit: Clarification. Although the age of consent in the UK is 16, the law says any child over 13 is legally capable of making the informed decision to give consent, under that age they can’t. So anyone caught have sex with a child under 16 has committed the crime of under age sex. Anyone caught having sex with a child under 13 has committed rape, because under law, the child is not old enough to legally give consent. Sex with no consent = rape.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Well, if eating meat is the same as infanticide, this seems a logical leap, surely?

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I think harming or mutilating your child because you don’t think they are 100% perfect as is, definitely is in the same ball park.

mogrim

I think harming or mutilating your child because you don’t think they are 100% perfect as is, definitely is in the same ball park.

Well, given that ear piercing is neither harming nor mutilating, I guess it’s OK?

Though apparently I’m a child-murdering rapist for thinking so 😕

RustySpanner

joolsburger – Member

Usually just above the ball park, no? 🙂

CaptainFlashheart – Member

Well, if eating meat is the same as infanticide, this seems a logical leap, surely?
    Would either of you care to explain how circumcision and ear piercing differ from a moral and ethical point of view?

thegreatape
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    Well, if you will take such a cavalier attitude to posting on here, old chap, what do you expect?

Cavalier? Roundhead, surely, when circumcision is the matter in hand.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Well, given that ear piercing is neither harming nor mutilating,

harm noun physical, mental or moral injury or damage.

I’d say something with a hole in (that isn’t suppose to have a hole in) is damaged.

Tip: get yourself a dictionary, I prefer Chambers.

seba560
    Free Member

I’d say something with a hole in (that isn’t suppose to have a hole in) is damaged.

Bastid surgeons!

Tip: Open your mind.

RustySpanner

This one ok?

footflaps

Snobbery it is.

If the lower classes want to make it easy for the rest of us to identify them at a distance, so we can discriminate against them, then I’m all for it. Nice that they know their place and are happy to wear it on their ear lobe. 😉

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Bastid surgeons!

Ah, so necessary surgical intervention is the same to your as genital mutilation or hanging some decorations off your child?

Really?

Really?

😯

Open my mind? I’m sure that’s what dear Jimmy might have said. The child is not old enough to legally chose, the procedure is not medically needed.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Children with pierced ears question’ is closed to new replies.