Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Childhood sandwiches you still enjoy…
  • pedropete

Can’t say I still eat the last 2 of these, but still love the 1st 2
    Cheese & salad cream
    Crisps
    Hundreds & thousands sprinkled on bread
    Sugar sprinkled on bread

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

None. Hated sandwiches I got as a kid.

This ^. I was also forced to eat crap sandwiches. A speciality in our house (which my parents continue today) was that you get ONE slice of salami/ham or a few slices of cheese, irrespective of the size of the bread. Filling surface area must never exceed 50% of the surface area of the bread.

Most meat was leftover joint from Sunday. Usually 90% gristle. All meat was sliced so thinly you could see through it. Bought sandwich filling meat was usually haslet or lunch tongue. Effing rubbery inedible muck. If you’re lucky enough to get bacon on a Saturday, it will be one slice with the rind left on.

Chutney etc was applied haphazardly, if at all.

Bread was heavily spread with margarine, I **** HATE margarine and always have!

Bread was always poncy granary/wholemeal from an actual bakers. Delicious when it was fresh (it never was), like wood the day after. All bread was frozen in the paper bags it came in, so it had horrendous freezer burn.

My Sister and I christened my Mum’s favorite poncy wholemeal stuff ‘carpet underlay bread’, because it tasted like eating carpet underlay. I wanted cheap white crap bread like my friends so damn hard.

Needless to say, as soon as I moved out the sandwich situation was rectified. I won’t let someone else make me a sandwich to this day.

Decent bread, so heavily overloaded with filling and lashings of condiment that margarine is redundant (proper butter if I need it). Bacon sandwich requires cheap white, at least a pack of bacon, and sliced salted butter.

senorj

Salad cream sarnies. Ketchup sarnies.
    If I’m feeling a bit posh , with plain crisps.

Wibble
    Free Member

Thick white bread, butter, Bovril & ready salted crisps – and squashed after making. Yum!

fattyre500
    Free Member

Remember the little frozen pizzas you could buy in iceland in a stack of ten in a bag? One of them in a white bread sarnie with enough butter to drown in !!! Nom.

slowoldman

A bread butty?

chubstr
    Free Member

I love cheese and tomato sauce, cheese and brown sauce, cheese and salad cream……basically cheese with some sort of sauce

vickypea
    Free Member

Beetroot and salad cream 🙂

We had the old plopped ham and chalk in Cheshire as well

wrightyson
    Free Member

White bread, butter, rasperry jam bag of s and v crisps….

shadowrider
    Free Member

Corned Beef and hp sauce or just a hp sauce sandwich

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Penny Dip – the most gorgeous bread type thing everrrrrr!

Roast a joint of beef….butter bread, dip bread into the liquor salt and pepper….

nothing beats the taste of this…nothing….

Tracey

Egg or crisp butties for me

garage-dweller

Remember the little frozen pizzas you could buy in iceland in a stack of ten in a bag? One of them in a white bread sarnie with enough butter to drown in !!! Nom.

Wrong!

Cook two and put the cheese sides together.

RustySpanner

Lemon cheese/curd.

Not the clear stuff, the proper thick, sugary stuff.

Warbies crust, Lurpak, lemon curd.
    Genius.

Ribs boiling on the stove for Saturday tea, surely?
    🙂

chestrockwell

Sandwich I still eat now? Cheese and marmite. Yum!

zippykona

Chicken,salad cream and cheese and onion crisps.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Childhood sandwiches you still enjoy…’ is closed to new replies.