Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Child protection charity scams?
  • GNARGNAR
    Free Member

We’ve just been on the recieving end of some threatening phone calls from a representative of child protection uk ltd. Is there any official registrar of charities I can check or that is mandatory for charitable organisations to be part of ?

Its clearly a scam but I’d like some ammo the next time they call.

woody2000

This lot?

What did they say?

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

surfer – Member
    Google is your friend!

Try this

http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/Showcharity/RegisterOfCharities/RegisterHomePage.aspx?Language=English

I did google it but I saw a number of results.

woody2000 – Member
    This lot?

What did they say?

Yeah, that’s them. They phoned up a while ago, last week I think to see if we would be interested in contributing to a booklet aimed at educating children about the dangers of drugs…..we asked them send out an example which arrived yesterday with a very shoddy looking laminated certificate and an invoice for 200 books. We then recieved a threatening phonecall (within the last hour) demanding the money for the 200 booklets which we had apparently ordered. We ordered no such booklets and they were using very aggressive language to try and persuade us otherwise right from the get go.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

shoes > wee

sootyandjim
    Free Member

I wonder if any of the 5000 companies that apparently sponsor them know they do?

flatfish
    Free Member

i used to get them calling weekly saying i’d agreed to sponsor a calendar 8 months ago and i had to pay up now before going to print, and if i didn’t pay now they’d be handing it to their debt collectors blah, blah, blah.

whenever i asked them to send me a copy of the agreement with my signature on for the proof of the artwork they stopped calling me, funny that!

tell them all to go away in a rude and agressive attitude.

hora
    Free Member

Its not a charity? Its a publisher/publications? For 10 staff though they are prolific sales people considering two people on this thread have experienced them already. Darn, I need them to come and work for me! I bet its a boilerhouse op?

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

I’ve just been googling around and it seems they are notorious scammers who also operate under the names of react publications and pfa media. They cold call small business and basically try to blackmail/blag £200 out of them. Cheeky ****ers.

Whatsit
    Free Member

Yep, had me over a couple of times when I first started managing. Thought it would be good for advertising then realised I’d never seen any publications.

Three years later they still ring up every four months or so and go straight into the “Your publications are ready and the invoice will be coming out….”.

I’ve told them to f+*k off, threatened them with legal action and still they ring up and launch straight into it.

Careful BTW the calls are sometimes recorded (or so they say) so they’ll try to get you to say something in the affirmative that could be misconstrued as an order confirmation.

hora
    Free Member

So they are a boilerhouse. Funny that whatsit- I wondered why the wording was there at the footer of their landing page.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

it’s boiler ‘room’ Hora, not ‘house’

hora
    Free Member

ah, ok.

STATO
    Free Member

speaking of being misled by the whole giving to charity thing, has anyone come across ‘Chari-snack’?

meehaja
    Free Member

oh yeah this ones common… small businesses get bullied into paying for shoddy booklets, often with some quite shoddy advice inside.

wee in their shoes, then invoice them back for the expense of your highly filtered uniquely flavoured, limited edition urine. I’d value mine at £450 per sample. I would however, send many samples.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Child protection charity scams?’ is closed to new replies.