Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Child kicked in the head, what would you do?
  • aa
    Free Member

Yesterday, at nursery, Mrs aa picked up our 4yr old and signed accident form as she’d bumped her head in the soft play area of her nursery.
    on way gone daughter told mum that boy had kicked her in the head, twice, while she was lying down in soft area.
    Wife rang up and gave my daughters version of events and it would appear that, no, not a single member of staff saw the incident but they had castigated other child for his actions?!?!
    Now, am i being overprotective if i force the issue with the nursery?
    Other child has ‘previous’….

fuzzhead
    Free Member

Force the issue. Big time

bencooper
    Free Member

He’s 4 years old – what would you like them to do to him?

I’d let the nursery staff handle it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    deadlydarcy
    Free Member

am i being overprotective if i force the issue with the nursery?

Not necessarily, but you might be being a pain in their arse. I’d probably be asking why he was disciplined but nobody saw it. Maybe he admitted to it to the staff? Kids learn to fib sometime between 3 and 4. Maybe he’s at the “can’t lie” stage still.

aa
    Free Member

That’s what i think.
    forgot to mention, nursery has no proper recording of the time of the incident, nor did they think to mention that she was drowsy and went to sleep later on in the afternoon…
    it does however, have an outstanding ofsted

IHN

Now, am i being overprotective

Probably.

aa
    Free Member

Ben, what i want them to do is kick the boy in the head. No, I’ll do that next time i see him. **joke, it’ll ruin my dbs…..**.

No, i see it as a failure in their safeguarding and am alarmed with the lack of proper information to us.

i want to know why they didn’t tell us the truth.

Mrs aa is going to see them this afternoon.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

You need to take it up with the nursery manager – kicking someone in the head is very different to accidental head bump. They have a duty of care over your child and have failed.

willjones
    Free Member

Which issue(s) are you picking up with the nursery? What does ‘forcing’ the issue look like? And what would be a good result for you? Just some questions to help you get your thoughts together

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

i want to know why they didn’t tell us the truth.

You can’t HANDLE the truth!!*

(*also a joke 🙂 )

Seriously though, I’d push them as to why they didn’t give you the full details. I think you take a risk when you place your child in nursery that they won’t have “eyes-on” at all times and stuff will inevitably happen but the least you can expect is to be informed of any incident and an honest “we didn’t see it but this is what we can ascertain happened”.

hora
    Free Member

My boy used to be a ‘biter’. Every evening I was signing accident forms.

wwaswas

nursery has no proper recording of the time of the incident, nor did they think to mention that she was drowsy and went to sleep later on in the afternoon…

*this* I would raise merry hell over.

Unseen incident involving a head injury followed by lack of recording and monitoring of changes in a child’s behaviour are what’s bad about the event.

They should have been honest about what they thought had happened to cause the injury, not vague, but tbh stuff happens with kids and if it was a one off I’d let it pass.

The head injury thing is serious though.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

If they gave you an accident form for something that didn’t happen/happened in a differnt way, that’s bad, very bad.

bencooper
    Free Member

I’d possibly ask nicely if they knew what really happened – I wouldn’t “force the issue”. Maybe they just didn’t see it. I know my almost-4-year-old sometimes has trouble separating reality, stories, dreams and stuff she saw on TV.

Drac

Of course you’re annoyed and frustrated but you need to remember. Young toddlers don’t alway understand right from wrong, the have tantrums and do silly things. Maybe your daughter was in a spot where the child normally lies and this kid overreacted.

The Nursery didn’t fail they can’t watch every kid all the time just the same, bad enough looking after one yourself never mind a group of kids. Maybe they should have told you what one version was and that they had dealt with it and would keep an eye on it. Other than that I can’t see anything other than toddlers having a bit scrap. My eldest got bit by a kid when she was at Nursery, a stage kids go through, the nursery told us and kept a closer eye on the kid that did for awhile.

kimbers

100% agree with Drac, its hard to be objective where your kids are concerned

Im sure the nursery will be keeping an extra eye on the 4yr old

peteimpreza

Look after you child yourself perhaps?

johndoh
    Free Member

I don’t agree with Drac/Kimbers – the incident was one of those things that happens, fair enough. But the nursery staff’s response wasn’t acceptable especially given the child then felt drowsy and fell asleep – a sign of concussion.

johndoh
    Free Member

peteimpreza – Member

kimbers

peteimpreza

ransos
    Free Member

So you’re a stay-at-home dad?

Drac
    loddrik
    Free Member

He’s 4 years old – what would you like them to do to him?

I’d let the nursery staff handle it.

This. These things happen with preschool kids. Plus unless the staff have a 1:1 ratio, they can’t be expected to see every incident.

Or you could always go to the nursery tomorrow, find the boy, knock him out, then jump all over his head and bite his ear off. That learn him…

Jamie
    Free Member

There it is.

johndoh
    Free Member

Point taken Drac, but when our kids have had knocks (including the famous back-flip off a bar stool directly onto her head onto a hard floor in Hard Rock Cafe which meant a late Sunday night trip to A&E 😀 ), the docs always told us to watch out for drowsiness and sleeping as bad signs.

anagallis_arvensis

Are you sure they are not being vague so you dont work out who it was. In my experience a lot of nursery workers arent very good at lying and so may just say sorry didnt see when they did but cannot give you any more info.

Its also very possible your daughter is lying.

Junkyard
    Free Member

So you’re a stay-at-home dad?

I am hoping they have not bred personally 😉

Drac nails it tbh
    Its hard to be objective with your own kid but you need to decide if it was
    1. one of those things that happens with kids [ it was]
    2. Whether the nursery staff handled it well and if not whether it was just human error or a sign of them being crap

loddrik
    Free Member

Agreed. Most 4 yr olds are indeed a little liberal with the truth.

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

NurseryTrackWorld 😉

Loving these threads. With 3 year old twins I can relate.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/any-toddler-tips-to-share

I’ve watched my daughter getting bit by another toddler at a party, it’s instinctive to turn into protector and open a can of whoop ass, then you suddenly remember it’s a child so you tell her twin brother to go kick his ass.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Talk to the nursery, giving you inconsistent information isn’t clever but its hasrdly likely to be a conspiracy, is it? And remember in a roomful of 20 toddlers someone is going to get bitten/pushed/pulled/hit about thirty times a day. Think back to the last birthday party you held. I can guarantee it was bedlam.

hora
    Free Member

Ours trips over flagstones a fair bit. The other day he did it, got up and said ‘mummy you pushed me’ 😆

Drac

Granted Johndoh but that’s mechanics of injury there, falling off a barstool is a bit different. It’s also more to do with how drowsy they are and the time they want to sleep.

I’ve had calls to people who’ve rang as they heard the sleep thing is bad. Well late at night your kid might want to go to sleep response seems to be taken by surprise.

Kids having a snooze in the afternoon is not unusual, especially after a bit of ‘drama’ it’s when it goes on for any length of time that it becomes a worry. A 1/2 hour is nothing.

aa
    Free Member

On the advice of stw, ive quit my job tody so i can be a full time dad. Hoorah, common sense wins. I will, of course, be claiming benefits at the earliest opportunity.
    it is possible my daughter is fibbing. She isn’t though, she’s clear about what happened. As mentioned above, nursery didn’t see incident. Of course i understand there’s much they don’t see. My issue is the lack of recording and an inability to tell us what may have happened rather than just pass it off as a bump..
    as said before, the boy has form…

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Why bother asking then?

duckman

I’ve watched my daughter getting bit by another toddler at a party, it’s instinctive to turn into protector and open a can of whoop ass, then you suddenly remember it’s a child so you tell her twin brother to go kick his ass.

Ha! He better get used to it, it wasn’t until I started teaching in my 30’s that I stopped going to discuss behaviour directed towards my sister by her latest shitehawk of a recent ex-lad.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

It’s not about opening a can of whoop ass on the offending child, it’s making sure that the nursery are doing their job properly.
    Making a complaint about your child getting injured in their care is not being OTT, especially if it prevents similar scenarios happening again to your child or any other.

johndoh
    Free Member

I’ve had calls to people who’ve rang as they heard the sleep thing is bad. Well late at night your kid might want to go to sleep response seems to be taken by surprise.

Hah yes. On our ‘occasion’ we had to wake her every 2 hours to make sure it was just night sleepiness and nothing more.

She was *NOT* happy about that. 🙂

Drac

Sensible way to deal with it and no they don’t like that.

The nursery could always close the soft play area on health and safety grounds.

bullheart
    Free Member

Ah, the money shot.

Trolltastic.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Child kicked in the head, what would you do?’ is closed to new replies.