Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Child front mount bike seats for toddlers over 15kg to fit a step through frame
  • escrs
    Free Member

So my 26 month old son has just hit 15kg which is the weight limit on his Thule yepp nexxt mini front mounted seat

So i need to replace it with another front mounted seat that will fit my hybrid and my wife’s step through frame

Now my hybrid isnt an issue as i can get a Oxford Little Explorer

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oxford-Little-Explorer-Bicycle-Child/dp/B06XXJT5SJ/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=oxford+little+explorer&linkCode=sl2&linkId=bbed3254e8cb7a772412d0e40f106ca5&qid=1554883082&s=gateway&sr=8-1

But it wont fit my wife’s step through frame, so i need an alternative for her

A rear seat is a big no no as he loves being up front and seeing everything, plus we both feel safer having him between our arms

So what front mounted bike seats have you got on step through frames?

breadcrumb

We got of these last year, it’s brilliant piece of kit-

https://mac-ride.com

Not cheap but the one I spotted on eBay went for £125 so you should get a fair bit back when it’s time to move it on.

escrs
    Free Member

Thanks but read my post again, it needs to fit a step through frame for my wife

With that fitted she wouldn’t be able to get on the bike

Kahurangi

Er, can she not get on the bike just as the rest of us do? Swing your leg over. It’s not hard to learn.

The reason that a mac ride can take greater weights is because the load is going directly in to the seat post and the headset, just like the adult’s weight.

breadcrumb

Thanks but read my post again, it needs to fit a step through frame for my wife

With that fitted she wouldn’t be able to get on the bike

To be fair you asked for a carrier to fit a step through frame, which it will. I assumed you didn’t want a top tube mounting saddle.

I think it may be a struggle to find one that allows you to still step through the frame.

DrP

wee ride??

I’ve a 4 year old who’s getting a bit big for the wee ride – those Mac seats look cool, but are $200…

DrP

tjagain

Will the one you have automatically explode now? How about one of the dutch steering head / handlebar mounted ones? MInd you riding one of those with an active toddler in was interesting – he made me weave all over the road!

This is a posher version of the one I meant
    https://www.dutchbikebits.com/bobike-mini-front-child-seat

tjagain
    escrs
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies

No she cant just swing her leg over a bike hence why she has a step through frame, plus it would mean she would have to sell a bike a she loves to buy one

Cheers for the links, ill have a look through later

Our current seat mounts via the steerer tube only and now he has hit 15kg you can see that the seat’s mount wont take much more weight

Someone has suggested looking at dutch child seats as most of thier bikes are step through frames so will do some research

Thanks

sweaman2
    Free Member

Although it would be hassle the MacRide could be installed once your wife as stepped through the frame as the attachment at the seatpost is QR based (the headset requires an allen key).  With it just attached at headset it would rest against top tube where ever it was and you would then attach at seatpost later.

It might work depending on required standover, location of seat post and flexibility…..

escrs
    Free Member

Although it would be hassle the MacRide could be installed once your wife as stepped through the frame as the attachment at the seatpost is QR based (the headset requires an allen key). With it just attached at headset it would rest against top tube where ever it was and you would then attach at seatpost later.

It might work depending on required standover, location of seat post and flexibility…..

Thanks but that wont work as she has to be able to just jump on and off when needed, her bike is her main transport, so going to the shops, collecting or dropping off our son places or jumping on and off the train would be a ball ache with the Mac ride fitted

Thanks for all the links but pretty much all of the ones shown either have a 15kg weight limit (he now weighs 15kg hence why im looking for a new seat) or they don’t fit step through frames

There is one that looks ideal and guess what, its from Holland where they ride step through bikes with kids weighing over 15kg on the front!

https://hollandbikeshop.com/en-gb/bicycle-saddles-seatposts/children-s-saddle-on-frame-tube/child-saddle-on-frame-tube-ladies-bike-complete-model-1/

child-saddle-on-frame-tube-ladies-bike-complete-model-1-8717185971125-0-l<script async src=”//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js” charset=”utf-8″></script>

breadcrumb

Just to add the Mac-Ride takes less than a minute to fit one you have the headset spacer installed. The WeeRide is a bit more of faff.

The one you’ve linked looks to fit your criteria though.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Child front mount bike seats for toddlers over 15kg to fit a step through frame’ is closed to new replies.