• This topic has 11 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by tdog.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Chilblains
  • timbur
    Free Member

Anyone have a magic cure?
    It’s that time of year again where my toes really suffer.
    I tend to be outside 6-7 hours a day which I’m sure is the cause.
    Scrapped steel toe capped boots. Tried doubling up on socks, posh socks, posh boots but still get them when the temp drops.
    Any help appreciated albeit I really don’t want to have to wee on them (google it if you don’t believe me)
    Cheers
    Tim

Drac

Not had them since I was a kid spending hours playing in the snow. Have you tried battery powered heated socks?

timbur
    Free Member

Not yet. Off to google to take a look.

jimdubleyou

Wiggle your toes more.

And heated socks sound like a good idea too.

slackalice
    Free Member

Drac has it. Next hard frost or snow fall, walk around in bare feet for as long as you can bear it ( see what I did there? 😉 ).

Once they’ve thawed out, chilblains will become a distant memory

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Can get battery powered insoles for not a huge amount. Or chemical ones, would need to swap them after ~3 hours. Battery ones you can just pop a new cell in.

Or can you get hold of proper insulated work boots (as it is PPE, so company should be paying?). We get ones rated to -40.

neilwheel
    Free Member

Have you tried insulated boots?

timbur
    Free Member

Cool. All good ideas.
    PPE yes but self employed so it’s on me.
    Oh, I suffer with Raynards so extremities get cold easily :O(
    Fine if I start warm and keep working but painful if I stop or change temperatures (indoors then outdoors etc)
    Liking the socks.

neilwheel
    Free Member

I have problems with cold feet and just dug my winter boots out last week.

Composite toe cap and sole plate, gore-tex and thinsulate linings, all together made a massive difference for me.

My boots

Mikeypies
    Free Member

Have you tried good quality woolen socks?

ball81
    Free Member

Balmolsa cream

Keep them insulated ie 2 pairs of cotton socks or try merino wool socks.

Tried to avoid sudden temperature extremes so if cold not instant heat and vice versa

tdog
    Free Member

Have experienced this where I had black bloody skin falling off my knuckles/fingers/hands from foolish winter motorcycling.
    Thermal gloves never fitted under neath my standard gloves which didn’t help leaving me unable to grip / get feedback from bars and levers.

What did help though was using diprobase cream (sudocreme). As it was truly shocking how much black dried blood was falling off in chunks.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Chilblains’ is closed to new replies.