Chicken Pox – Remedies for a 1 year old

Home Forum Chat Forum Chicken Pox – Remedies for a 1 year old

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Chicken Pox – Remedies for a 1 year old
  • FunkyDunc

Junior FD started getting chicken pox a couple of days ago and has today started itching, so just before bed time we gave him some Piriton.

Now he is absolutely hyper as though we had given him speed. He is not in distress, but he isnt showing signs of going to sleep any time soon either.

Looks like we are going to have a fun night, but what do people recommend to make the itching more tolerable?

Obviously we are using Calpol and Nurofen.

Thanks

restless

calamine lotion

Premier Icon Nobeerinthefridge
    Subscriber

Not Calamine lotion, worst thing you can put on!, dries them out and makes them itchy. phone nhs24.

Subscriber

And you shouldn’t be using neurofen on a 1 year old. In fact, you shouldn’t be using it at all, it’s a waste of money. Buy paracetamol and ibuprofen for about 20p a pack form your supermarket, don’t pander to the ad guys!.

anc

Aqueous calamine cream worked best with our two.

Distraction is the only thing that worked for our two when they had it.

lipseal

We washed ours in bicarbonate of soda as advice from the nurse, not sure if it helped but they went away in a few weeks, I wouldn’t worry too much.
    Plus what he^ said.

maxsatnav

+1 for not using calamine..

i had it as an adult and found bicarbonate of soda in the bath worked great and didnt itch much at all

restless

why is calamine lotion no good? i have used it on my 3 and its worked a treat 😐

poly

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    And you shouldn’t be using neurofen on a 1 year old. In fact, you shouldn’t be using it at all, it’s a waste of money. Buy paracetamol and ibuprofen for about 20p a pack form your supermarket, don’t pander to the ad guys!.

I take it you are neither a parent nor a healthcare professional? Nurofen is available in suspension for children (from 3 months IIRC). I agree with your “generic ibuprofen is just as effective” sentiments, but will note that generic forms of the children’s formulations are not as readily available (larger supermarkets / pharmacies only).

With regard the OP’s question: we used Piriton (on 3yr old?) and found that it actually seemed to have a “sedative” effect, perhaps it will kick in after half an hour or so? NHS24 website advises calamine lotion.

jronald01

POXCLIN – you can get it from Boots, but it’s not that cheap. It’s supposed to soothe their skin. It seemed to limit my daughter’s scratching and we thought it worked better than calamine.

Subscriber

I take it you are neither a parent nor a healthcare professional?

Sorry, got corrected by the wife as soon as I had typed that about Neurofen!. Oops.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Wire brush and Dettol.

Premier Icon TomB
    Subscriber

nice short finger nails to minimise damage?

carlosg

Eurax lotion from the chemist , my lad was 3 when he got the pox and this was reccomended by the chemist who also warned us to stay away from calamine lotion for the above drying out reasons.

Tango Man

Both my kids have just been through this, ages 4 and 2, we used Calpol for the fever, calamine on the spots, Piriton to ease the itchyness and allowed them both plenty of play time in the bath

All of the above combined worked well

Chris

chickadee

Oatmeal baths – sounds mad but it worked really well. Cleaning the bath is a bit of a b1tch though

Oaty bath

Premier Icon funkynick
    Subscriber
    Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Paracetamol and Ibuprofen to keep temperatures down, plenty of fluids and for the itching Camalmine lotion, piriton only if they are over one.

We tried the bicarb bath but not sure it made much odds the Camalmine certainly does which I guess why the NHS recommends it.

NHS choices has plenty of advice.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

We used calamine on Lil Grips. Dunno about drying out skin, but she was ok in less than a week (at 12mo).

I’ve read that Piriton usually makes kids sleepy but in a large minority (10-20%, something like that) it makes them mental.

CBeebies, a sofa and a blanket worked best for us 🙂

Buy paracetamol and ibuprofen for about 20p a pack form your supermarket, don’t pander to the ad guys!

I would love to see anyone try to get a 1yr old to swallow a pill 😯

(I know you later corrected yourself poster, but I did find that amusing 🙂 )

And if using Nurofen/Calpol don’t forget you can alternate doses (so they don’t have to go so long between doses) to keep them dosed to the max if they are in real discomfort.

And Nurofen will be best at night – the effects last a bit longer apparently so you have more chance of nipper getting some meaningful sleep in.

FunkyDunc

Thanks for all the advice… especially the trying to get a 1 year old to swallow tablets 🙂

We have been using a mixture of Nurofen and Calpol. Mrs FD is a doctor, hence why went straight for the Piriton (which is used in Kids < 1 year) just not advised at home. Mrs FD knows the correct medical interventions, but what I guess as a Dr you dont know is the stuff that isnt medically proven that works at home ie bicarbonate/oatmeal baths etc etc.

What we have found is that bicarbonate baths really soothes him and reduce the spots, as does calamine, although Im sure when I was a kid it made mine worse! We have also bought Virasoothe in the day time it does nothing. Last night at 4am it appeared to help but just could be that the gel was cold therefore relieved him for a bit.

Thanks for the advice.

jonah tonto

few drops of lavender oil in the bath? soothing and helps sleep. dont overdo it though, 2 or 3 drops max

Premier Icon woody2000
    Subscriber

I don’t think a heavily scented oil would be very useful for a skin condition? I’m dreading the day mine get the ‘pox (is it inevitable?!), finding it hard to stop my eldest scratching himself stupid at the moment as it is! 🙁

jonah tonto

is that a statement or a question woody?

Premier Icon woody2000
    Subscriber

Bit of both. I know that essential oils should be used with care, as they can cause irritation on delicate skin (eg a childs skin).

Premier Icon DaRC_L
    Subscriber

Lavendar oil dropped on a handkerchief near the bed/cot will evaporate and act as a gentle sedative.

I’m dreading the day mine get the ‘pox (is it inevitable

Well it is actually preferable kids get it (IIRC) as it is more painful in adulthood and it can make a mature male infertile.

jonah tonto

agreed about the care needed with too much, hence the warning in my original post.
    and you dont want pox as an adult, my best mate did and it was truly truly horrific

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Chicken Pox – Remedies for a 1 year old’ is closed to new replies.