Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Chicken and gym go-ers Some questions
  • nickc

Guys, My GF works in the food business and needs to do a bit of research on eating habits of guys using chicken/turkey as part of a high protein diet . Few questions if you could be so kind 🙂

1. What are buying in the supermarket (whole fillets? chicken pieces? whatever’s cheapest? Turkey steaks?)
    2. How many times a week are you eating chicken or turkey?
    3. Would you buy a week’s at a time, so perhaps 5-7 portions in one pack (either fresh or frozen) or are you happy to buy 1 portion at a time?
    4. What recipes are your favourites?

bearnecessities

1. Asda do frozen chicken breast pieces (cheapest and ridiculously convenient). Pre-cooked and then frozen. Just throw into lunch and it’s ready to nom following day. £2 at the moment for 350g.
    2. Most days.
    3. Yup, but only frozen as above. Fresh would be a bit dodgy surely after a few days in fridge?
    4. Um….turkey mince with cumin (and some other bits) kebab skewers.

Not sure whether any of that’s useful!

nickc

Thanks bear, it’s all useful info!

Jamie
    Free Member

1. What are buying in the supermarket (whole fillets? chicken pieces? whatever’s cheapest? Turkey steaks?)
    2. How many times a week are you eating chicken or turkey?
    3. Would you buy a week’s at a time, so perhaps 5-7 portions in one pack (either fresh or frozen) or are you happy to buy 1 portion at a time?
    4. What recipes are your favourites?

1. Always cheaper to buy frozen, Ocado do very nice frozen fillet pieces for £7.50 a kilo, or bulk from online places like Online Muscle Food. I was surprised at how many, both local and national, online meat shops there are now.

2. When I was going the gym, 4-5 times a week.

3. Months worth at time. So about 4-5kg a time.

4. Chicken with fajita spices on salad.

Kuco

1. Normally fresh chicken breast

2. 3-4 times a week

3. Enough for the week

4. Chicken, rice and black beans with salad at the moment

bigyim
    Free Member

1. Buying from a cash and carry in 5kg box as it’s better quality than supermarkets. Will sometimes buy from supermarkets in their 3 for £10 deals. Don’t usually buy frozen ready cooked stuff.

2. Everyday sometimes twice a day.

3. Yes usually buy in bulk

4. Favourite recipes homemade curry and stir fry

Jamie
    Free Member

Just to clarify, I never buy the pre-cooked stuff.

Naaaasty.

bearnecessities

What’s wrong with it; or are we talking about different products?

(Although I’ve just noticed it’s from bloody Thailand!?)

somouk
    Free Member

1. I always buy the breast or mini breast and it’s always the fresh stuff.
    2. Easily 6 days a week and some weeks 7 days.
    3. Yes, only really do one weeks shop. I find the Aldi chicken is in date long enough to buy once a week.
    4. I tend to cook the chicken in some spices and then either eat it with greens on a non training day or on a training day some greens and some rice.

chambord
    Free Member

EDIT: Just re-read the question, and I don’t go to the gym so ignore me!

I’ve a friend who works out a lot and he eats approximately all the chicken breast in milton keynes every day which may be of interest.

bigyim
    Free Member

The pre cooked stuff I have used seems to have a lot of water in so you can cook it from frozen and doesn’t have the same taste or texture of “real chicken”

nickc

Chambord, it’s not really Gym users only, she’s looking for guys who are specifically buying chicken as a ‘protien’ as part of a health/fitness plan, rather than buying chicken as an ingredient in recipes, if that makes sense, so thanks for your input

Frankenstein
    Free Member

1. Chicken breast. Sometimes for cooking or ready cooked.
    2. Everyday about 80 grams of my protein is from chicken. 70g from shakes.
    3. I would prefer a week as I don’t have time to waste shopping daily.
    4. Indian or Thai or Mexican.

I’m now hungry.

Jamie
    Free Member

(Although I’ve just noticed it’s from bloody Thailand!?)

Mmmm! That fresh Thai chicken.

Just think of the food miles.

bearnecessities

No water in the Asda stuff; stick it frozen in with the pasta and salad bits and it’s ready next day, with no sign of water.

However, not particularly keen on the Thai aspect now I know that, and Jamie’s second link looks worth a try.

Time to dust off the George Foreman.

Jamie
    Free Member

Time to dust off the George Foreman.

Just grill it. Foremans dry chicken out too much.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

No stupid diet…
    Chicken thighs free range only from supermarket
    2-3 times per week bought fresh
    Chilli with veg
    Ragu
    Pasta sauce
    Vietnamese rolls

bearnecessities

Jamie, I would if I had a functioning kitchen/oven – hence the attraction of the current chicken option. 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

No stupid diet…

Erm…ok.

Jamie, I would if I had a functioning kitchen – hence the attraction of the current chicken option.

In that case, pop it in the toaster.

bearnecessities

Can’t, it’s stuffed full of burnt carrots.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

@jamie

I eat food in a balanced way, more protein than some less than others. I thought I was I’m the range of answers as I did eat a bit more meat than people I know. Just not doing a pretentious diet fad.

Kunstler

Hmm, maybe I should be buying frozen to save some money.

1. I usually buy chicken breasts as part of a multi deal from Sainsburys
    2. This works out to three days of chicken meals out of shopping that lasts for six days.
    3. ^ three days worth in six.
    4. Grilled with mushrooms peppers and leeks in basil, coriander and olive with wholewheat pasta or brown rice and tons of salad.

scary_carey
    Free Member

Aldi frozen chicken breast & Aldi chicken thighs ( fresh). I’ll have the breast on training days with high carb diet and on non training days I’ll have the thighs with high fat diet. Aldi turkey mince which I’ll make burgers out of
    I eat chicken or turkey at least once a day
    Buy enough to last the week – I tend to cook my weeks supply on a Sunday evening to see me through, so I’m not prepping every night.
    As for recipes I usually just chuck tumaric, paprika and chilli powder on and roast in the oven

jonk

I get my chicken breasts in 5kg packs from gabbots farm they work out at £4/kg. They are from Holland though.

globalti
    Free Member

I seldom eat chicken; it’s foul. Give me a steak with plenty of fat on it, any time.

bearnecessities

I seldom eat chicken; it’s foul.

Unintentionally humorous post of the week 😀

Stoner
    Free Member

1) Thigh fillets, Morrisons. By far the best flavour and texture meat.
    2) 1x family meal a week
    3) As part of weekly shop
    4) Geeta’s spice mix, marinaded with yoghurt and either grilled or pan-cooked under cover.

shifter
    Free Member

The protien monsters I know are all over big wholesale boxes of Halal breasts. I think they may be falling out the back of a white van.

Philby

1. Tend to buy fresh thigh fillets from Sainsbury’s – currently 2 packs of 5/6 thighs in each for £5 – much tastier than breasts, although used to buy breasts until about a year ago.
    2. Approx 3-5 times if I have bought some – other weeks I often have fish / seafood.
    3. Always buy in a pack – usually 2 for £5 packs
    4. Grilled with salt, pepper and dried chilli; grilled with a chilli sauce; curry; with onions, garlic, mushrooms and half fat creme fraiche with pasta; with onions, garlic and mushrooms and tinned tomatoes with either pasta of cous-cous; with onion, garlic and mushrooms in a risotto.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Chicken and gym go-ers Some questions’ is closed to new replies.