Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Chemistry definition needed please.
  • Pete.Crawforth
    Free Member

doing an essay on molecular dynamics and ive come across a term that even google cant seem to help me on.

“Monomeric fluid”

and if you feeling really smart

is octamethylcyclotetrasiloxane (OMCTS) a monomeric fluid?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

a fluid made from monomers (eg ethene gas?)

or…..

a solution of monomers

those are my two guesses, i’d dig out my chem textbooks but suspect that you have as easier access as me.

coffeeking
    Free Member

*I’m no chemist, but I did do chemistry A level a while ago!

Well polymeric is having multiple “mer”s, or repeating units. So monomeric will be a fluid consisting of molecules that are not made up of repeating units. I would guess.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Wikipedia helps if you twig to break it down from monomeric to monomer…and apparently it’s a polydimethylsiloxane which suggests to my (probably wrong) head that its a polymeric molecule (consisting of many dimethylsiloxanes)?

Wally

I would guess the same, a liquid made up of individual molecules, not a mixture of carbon chain lengths (like a fraction). I would guess the sperical shape of the cyclo, 8 methly group molecule would help with lubricity.

Pete.Crawforth
    Free Member

bravo!
    yeah that all makes sense!
    and well done it is about a simulation about a lubricant
    let the blagging continue!

coffeeking
    Free Member

I would guess the sperical shape of the cyclo, 8 methly group molecule would help with lubricity.

Now THAT’s the sound of a chemist!

Pete.Crawforth
    Free Member

bottom line is then that octamethylcyclotetrasiloxane is a monomeric fluid?
    yes or no?

CHB

I would say yes is the answer.
    I think (Chemistry degree modules over a decade ago!) that a monomeric fluid is NOTHING to do with the molecules being made of monomers, rather to do with the homogeneity of the liquid.
    I would say that a monomeric liquid is composed of a consistent uniform molecule.
    The molecule would have the same formula, but would also have the same branch structure and configuration. Also I think it would have the same number of double bonds etc and arrangement of CIS/TRANS components.

Please let us know the the proper answer when you find it.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Fluid Dynamics book explaining monomeric and polymeric fluids as being based on monomers and polymers as mentioned earlier?

OP- Shouldn’t you have attended lectures explaining this?

jonb
    Free Member

http://www.biology-online.org/dictionary/Monomeric

I’d go with option 1, consisting of the same component. If it was option 2 consisting of monomers then it would be a simple yes/no answer on the structure of the molecule rather than the molecular dynamics.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Chemistry definition needed please.’ is closed to new replies.