Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Cheltenham riding/cycling
  • Kit
    Free Member

I’ve got an interview for a job down there in a few weeks. If offered, what could I expect in terms of cycle commuting and, more importantly, biking. Looks like the Cotswolds are on the doorstep. I probably wouldn’t have a car so looking at local stuff.

Cheers! 🙂

P.S. Not related to a previous thread about job apps 😉

IHN

Commuting – fine, standard town centre type stuff.

Riding – loads, DH stuff on Lecky hill and the new Uplift place on the A419, days worth of bridleway bumbling in various degrees of gnarrl in the Cotswolds. Loads of roady stuff too.

Plus, it’s a bloody lovely town. I’m in Cirencester and, tbh, would rather be up the road in ‘Nam…

mrmo
    Free Member

road or MTB? Lots, but in the winter the “dust” off road can be more than soul destroying! Really depends on why you ride as to what you will like. Put it like this i have put together an old school mtb loop of c80miles that is predominantly off road. Or you have flyup a couple of miles out towards Gloucester.

Fundamentally there are far worse places to live, and the riding is in on the Doorstep. But Cheltenham isn’t the cheapest place to live so depending on where you end up determines just how close to the hills you are, it could be metres or a few miles.

Kit
    Free Member

Just noticed it’s the wrong forum…

Aye, looking at rental prices and it seems pretty expensive. Don’t think I’ll be paid much either.

I was thinking MTB, but I suppose I’ll take what I can get!

IHN

Gloucester’s cheaper, and is easily commutable by bus/bike to ‘Nam, and just as accessible to the riding.

qwerty
    Free Member

Google Bigfoot MTB Club for club rides.

rOcKeTdOg

Bike theft capital of the Cotswolds if the threads in here are true. Some great bike shops though

mrmo
    Free Member

Bike thief going to jail, hopefully

Hopefully the bike issue might die down a bit as the scum are hopefully going on a holiday for a bit!

old thread on scum

outofbreath
    Free Member

Bredon Hill. Forest of Dean.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Definitely look up Bigfoot if you end up down this way – friendly and active club with plenty of MTB rides in the Cheltenham/Glos/Stroud area. Further afield stuff eg FoD, Quantocks, Brecon and trail centre trips etc people often car share

Kit
    Free Member

OK good stuff, thanks!

smatkins1
    Free Member

I’ve just landed myself a job in this area (well Gloucester) and will be moving there at the end of March from the South Downs.

I’m looking forward to trying out all these new exciting places to ride… they’d better be good 😉

wilko1999
    Free Member

You (probably) won’t be disappointed. As above look up Bigfoot on the website or FB feed, or PM me. I’m happy to show people around local stuff and I also lead off-piste rides in FoD too.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

nearish
    Bredon Hill
    Leckhampton
    Cleeve Hill
    Cranham Chase

not so nearish
    FoD
    Brecons
    cwmcarn (etc)
    cannock

And lots of nice road rides close to nam, either head straight into cotswolds or (maybe a drive away) out toward malvern/eastnor/castlemorton way.

clareymorris

OOh exciting – good luck with the job.

However, i would not choose Gloucester over Cheltenham, having come from in-between the two. I’m sure I have just offended many folk saying that, but hey it’s just my personal opinion.

🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Cheltenham riding/cycling’ is closed to new replies.