Viewing 14 posts - 121 through 134 (of 134 total)
  • Chelsea Tractors. Whats the point?
  • clubber
    Free Member

I miss TJ at times like this. I’ll bet that secretly Molgrips misses being called light green by TJ (dark green) too 😉

mrblobby
    Free Member

Ok I may have said they are only cars, but the Range Rover Evoque is so revolting it makes me want to vomit every time I see one. The very definition of a chelsea tractor…?

zokes
    Free Member

The very definition of a chelsea tractor…?

Not really – see above. It does work very well off road if you stick some decent wheels and tyres on it.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Not really – see above. It does work very well off road if you stick some decent wheels and tyres on it.

Don’t most vehicles when shod with suitable rubber?

molgrips
    Free Member

Which is identical in almost every way to my Freelander

I was referring to the 2wd version, I should have made that clearer.

Fair play to them – the 2wd version is listed as 129g/km but the 4wd one is only 149g/km. Which, if it is indeed a ‘proper’ 4×4 is pretty good. Ironically, if you were in need of a proper 4×4 and had to keep the costs down, it could be a good utility option despite appearing to be an affectation 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

Fair play to them – the 2wd version is listed as 129g/km but the 4wd one is only 149g/km. Which, if it is indeed a ‘proper’ 4×4 is pretty good. Ironically, if you were in need of a proper 4×4 and had to keep the costs down, it could be a good utility option despite appearing to be an affectation

Just look at it though… hideously chintzy.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah I know, I think they look worse in real life than in the photos. However it’s like that partly to improve aerodynamics.

mrblobby
    Free Member

However it’s like that partly to improve aerodynamics.

The nasty chrome bits and the lights that wouldn’t look out of place in a Swarovski catalogue improve aerodynamics?

alex222
    Free Member

I’m beginning to get the feeling that some STW posters dont like large 4wd “SUV” type vehicles, can anyone confirm this?

It’s too early to tell just yet.

zokes
    Free Member

Don’t most vehicles when shod with suitable rubber?

Nope

slowmart
    Free Member

Personally I never thought I’d buy a 4 x 4.

But I had never ridden in one until I was a passenger in a mates Tuareg. Vision, comfort and ride are superb.

I run a Range Rover which is simply the best car I’ve ever owned. It’s not cheap to run, depreciation is awful but I wouldn’t swap it.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Three pages late, but…

[pedantry mode] “Fiscal” pertains to taxation, it is not a synonym for “financial” [/pedantry mode]

The irony of this schoolboy error is that the owners of “proper” Chelsea tractors (ie those who actually live in Chelsea) have superb fiscal management and priorities, at least from their point of view: paying as little tax as possible…

And I would suggest that “skewed fiscal priorities” alluded to current tax avoidance schemes popular with the chelsea dwellers, but not with the great unwashed who will never be in the higher tax bracket who see it as an example of the wealth gap in the ‘Big Society’.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Each to his/her own with car choices for me. Personally, I am not a car-person and favour practicality over prestige. When the urge to buy a nice a car appears I simple say 1 car = 3 years school fees. One is “spending” on a rapidly depreciating asset’ the other is “investing” in someone’ s long term future. The urge soon goes away then!!!

pjm84
    Free Member

You guys! 😀

Viewing 14 posts - 121 through 134 (of 134 total)

The topic ‘Chelsea Tractors. Whats the point?’ is closed to new replies.