Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 134 total)
  • Chelsea Tractors. Whats the point?
  • ransos
    Free Member

I wonder how much of the ire directed at their owners is down to pure envy and how much is actually anything to do with a genuine rational thought process.

If I wanted a 4×4, I would buy one, but I prefer to drive something a little less dangerous and polluting.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I want one, does that make me a bad person?

It’s like having XTR (or any singlespeed costing more than a basic halfords BSO for that matter) on a singlespeed.

Having a nice bike doesn’t actualy enrich your life in any meaningfull way other than making you feel better about your bike. You could do laps of a tail center just as quickly on a bike from Decathlon as you could from the top shelf of the Speciaized ‘Concept Store’. The brakes are no safer, the transmission no more eficcent, but it’s just (to your eyes) ‘better’ and nicer to ride.

Mahoosive 4×4’s with leather seats, a better stereo than most houses and enough computing power to launch the north korean space program sucessfully and shagpile carpets are just mid range MTB’s for people who don’t ride MTB’s (the really rich would buy a Rolls obviously). A normal car would be just as good in every practical measurable way, but the big luxury 4×4 is ‘better’.

RustySpanner

I fancy a CRV.
    Pass the Werthers.

No what did I come in here for………..?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I fancy a CRV.

I’ve got one, they’re good.

Pass the Werthers.

Here, have one of mine

No what did I come in here for………..?

Common topic of discussion amongst CRV drivers

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

sharkbait
    Free Member

I wonder how much of the ire directed at their owners is down to pure envy and how much is actually anything to do with a genuine rational thought process.

Hammer, meet nail.

andrewh
    Free Member

I don’t think the Disco quite qualifies as a Chelsea tractor.
    There are ‘proper’ 4x4s:
    Defenders
    Old Troopers
    Fourtracks
    Unimogs
    Discos
    Old Range Rovers
    Old G Wagons
    New Range Rovers. Maybe?
    Landcruisers?
    Wranglers?
    and there are silly SUVs, X3, X5, Q5, Q7 Cayenne, Vitara, CRV, M-Class, etc, etc.
    Interesting to note different repsonses to different ones. X5 = ****hole, Defender doesn’t, and yet Defenders are also expensive and thirsty
    My own opinion is that some just scream tasteless (and probably chav) like X5s and Q7, you can sure 99% of the time the driver will be a [expletive deleted], people who think an X5 with silly wheels and a silly number plate is cool generally are.
    And if you really want to make a statement, there is nothing quite like an X5 for shouting, very loudly, ‘Hey everyone, look at me! I can’t afford a Range Rover.’
    Posted by a former 110 driver (never went off-road in it, but it was fantastic for towing boats out of lakes)

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Forgetting the practicalities a Chelsea tractor is a simple statement of wealth

Or debt.

I like the elevated seating position.

I have to admit, I like the elevated seated position in my camper.

If Chelsea Tractor = 110 Defender, then yes: paint me green and call me a monster. 😉

kcr
    Free Member

Remember those TV ads a few years ago, filmed from the point of view of a well spoken couple in a Range Rover, voicing their innner thoughts? They moved in a bubble of comfort and effortless progress, carefully insulted from the urban landscape that lay far below them.
    At one point, they drew up behind a group of cyclists, one of whom was riding a Chas Roberts. The woman passenger peered down from her elevated seating positiong and condescendingly announced “Don’t fancy yours much, Chas…”

Can’t argue with Range Rover – they’re a successful company, so I assume they know their target market pretty well…

randomjeremy
    Free Member

I used to have a range rover,it was a great car all in. Comfortable, safe, very fast (V8 turbodiesel), I used to regularly drive it across Europe fully loaded, it was brilliant off road too. One of the best cars I ever owned; I could drive from London to Italy in a day and be fresh as a daisy on arrival. The high seating position made me feel very safe and unstressed on the road.

Downsides were the horrendous running costs, it wasn’t very reliable and almost everyone thought I was a plonker which led to not being let out at roundabouts or junctions, the paint being keyed and general aggressive driving towards me, which sucked.

I think big 4X4s get a bad rep – perceptions are a funny thing; I also had an S65 Merc which cost twice what the range rover did, took up as much if not more space on the road, had worse emissions and was a much less practical car; hardly anyone ever noticed me in it.

Anyway I had a mental breakdown and quit my job, and now I drive a crappy old Vectra. It’s worse in every way apart from being so anonymous that I notice people tend to treat me better on the road 🙂

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Are pickups considered a Harrogate shopping trolley or not? Need to know sharpish please.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

If you have to ask…

andrewh
    Free Member

Are pickups considered a Harrogate shopping trolley or not? Need to know sharpish please.

Acceptable ones:
    Old Hilux
    130/110/90
    Vauxhall Bravo
    Transit tipper
    Nissan Cabstar
    Not acceptable:
    New Hilux
    L200
    Navara
    F-150
    (all a bit chav)

molgrips
    Free Member

I guess it’s a harmless pursuit of vanity.

Not really harmless. There is an environmental cost, per mile.

algarvebairn
    Free Member

Can’t beat a bit of reverse snobbery. A 4X4 like a RR or Q7 is a statement of wealth, the same as a big house or a holiday home in the sun. People are entitled to send their wealth as they see fit. And I’m pretty sure (although I have’t checked) that the environmental argument doesn’t stack up.

andrewh
    Free Member

And I’m pretty sure (although I have’t checked) that the environmental argument doesn’t stack up.

Land Rover claim to be one of the best environmentaly. Something like 60% of the cars they have ever made are still running. Once you factor in the polution from making the things they have a point. Even Friends of the Earth say it’s better to keep old cars running longer, than buy new, lower emmission ones.
    It’s new cars which are more of a problem, not big cars.

A 4X4 like a RR or Q7 is a statement of wealth

RR is more likely to be old money though, the Q7 is just a bit tatseless

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

They’re awesome!

they look great,

they provide a confidence inspiring driving position for shit drivers who shouldnt be on the road,

they are a great vehicle for making sure the best kids in the world (your own) get to school safely.

if you run over an adult or a lesser kid (someone else’s) then they’ll definitely be killed rather than badly maimed (this is a good thing right?)

they keep oil companies in business

they have incredible small bump sensitivity

Theres probably loads more reasons to own one

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Remember those TV ads a few years ago, filmed from the point of view of a well spoken couple in a Range Rover, voicing their innner thoughts? They moved in a bubble of comfort and effortless progress, carefully insulted from the urban landscape that lay far below them.

can’t say i recall the ad, but sounds interesting.

ransos
    Free Member

Land Rover claim to be one of the best environmentaly. Something like 60% of the cars they have ever made are still running

Except that the bulk of a vehicle’s emissions are during its use, not manufacture or disposal. I guess the Land Rovers still running are mainly the ones built for utility.

molgrips
    Free Member

And I’m pretty sure (although I have’t checked) that the environmental argument doesn’t stack up.

Please explain that.

Something like 60% of the cars they have ever made are still running.

That’s not because they are 4×4 gas guzzlers, are they? Or are you trying to say that Landrover make reliable vehicles? Lolz 🙂

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Early rule of marketing….

…no one buys a Rolex to tell the time!

Dales_rider
    Free Member

I needed one when on ones estate, now I’ve moved no longer need one 😀

footflaps

Early rule of Rolex wearers.. they always have to tell you they have one.

glupton1976
    Free Member

I quite fancy an Audi Q7. You can pick them up for reasonable money once the arse had dropped out of them in depreciation.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

FF – I wasnt implying that (!) just repeating an early lesson in marketing. I think its applicable to this debate!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Not acceptable:
    New Hilux
    L200
    Navara
    F-150
    (all a bit chav)

Posted by a former 110 driver (never went off-road in it, but it was fantastic for towing boats out of lakes)

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

andrewh – Member

Isn’t the Disco the definitive Chelsea tractor?

joolsburger
    Free Member

Surely the environmental thing is dependent on your mileage?

I find it amazing that anyone who lives in the UK has the front to pretend they are in some way helping the environment. There may be a few people that live frugally and sustainably here but one lot of polluters berating another group for driving a slightly larger car is just sour grapes.

tonyg2003

Big premium brand fast saloons (RS4, Jag XFR etc) and supercars are generally admired, but as soon as the topic turns to 4×4, even though the are often slower, cheaper, less poluting than the saloons, everyone gets annoyed.

This is so right. Really if people want to spend their money on big 4X4 or any other form of luxury goods then it’s their choice. There are plenty of cars that take up as much road space or use as much fuel that no-one gives a hell about.

The two richest guys I know, one drives a Golf (new thought :)) and the other a Ferrari FF. It just down to their personal choice.

elzorillo
    Free Member

I bought one specifically to piss off the 4×4,Tesco,Daily Mail,Anything that is fashionable to hate at the moment, haters on here 🙂

flange
    Free Member

I owned a Q7 up until recently. It was comfy, quite economical for what it was and fast enough. It was (dare I say it) much more environmentally friendly than the Porsche and RS4 it replaced (35mpg vs 22/23 mpg for the Audi and Porker). When I had those I had to have two cars so I could carry my bikes about. In fact, the 3-series I’ve replaced the Q7 with gets much worse MPG yet I never get any hate directed at me in that compared to the aggression you’d see driving the Q7.

On another note, I’d drive the Q7 much more sensibly than I did the others, there just wasn’t the need to hammer about everywhere. The only downsides to owning it were the cost of tyres and parking it, which was a total ballache.

It was comfy, had lots of nice toys and space to carry my bikes, had a nice driving position and on the odd occasion I had to take it off road, it fared much better than I thought it would (see bike race car parks). I don’t understand this hatred towards people who drive a certain type of car. Seems a bit like sour grapes to me.

molgrips
    Free Member

Surely the environmental thing is dependent on your mileage?

Yes of course, but however many miles you drive in a 4×4, you’re going to use more fuel than in a more economical car, aren’t you? I can’t believe people have trouble with this concept.

Buying an estate doesn’t mean your travel needs are suddenly double.

andrewh
    Free Member

Except that the bulk of a vehicle’s emissions are during its use, not manufacture or disposal.

Takes about 200,000 miles worth of energy to build one. Can’t remember the source so waits to be corrected…

Please explain that.

Something like 60% of the cars they have ever made are still running.

That’s not because they are 4×4 gas guzzlers, are they? Or are you trying to say that Landrover make reliable vehicles? Lolz

LR’s figures, not mine. I expect it’s down to easy parts availablity and ease of repair on Series vehicles, nothig to do with whether it’s a 4×4 or not. Just saying that ones which last longest are least bad for the environment.

ransos
    Free Member

Takes about 200,000 miles worth of energy to build one. Can’t remember the source so waits to be corrected…

Most life cycle analyses put the use phase at 70-80% of a vehicle’s total lifetime impact. And let’s not forget that a large vehicle such as a 4×4 requires more resources to make.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member

andrewh – Member

Its not what it is its how much more it costs in comparison to the car next to you.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

Often it’s a symbol of skewed fiscal priorities and debt. I find it odd that many people on ‘average’ salaries borrow to buy depreciating assets that cost more than their yearly income, but then it’s their money and if it makes them feel good about themselves as they sit in traffic then I guess it’s a harmless pursuit of vanity.

yep

ransos
    Free Member

This is so right. Really if people want to spend their money on big 4X4 or any other form of luxury goods then it’s their choice.

And if people choose to spend their money on making life a tiny bit less pleasant for everyone else, it’s my choice to call them names.

andrewh
    Free Member

I owned a Q7 up until recently. It was comfy, quite economical for what it was and fast enough. It was (dare I say it) much more environmentally friendly than the Porsche and RS4 it replaced (35mpg vs 22/23 mpg for the Audi and Porker).

Assuming all bought new and the figure of 200,000miles above is correct the new Q7 would have to cover just over 400,000 miles before the total environmental damage done by buying and running a new ‘more efficient’ car was less than that caused by keeping the other car going for the same distance…

Dales_rider – Member

teamhurtmore – Member

andrewh – Member

Its not what it is its how much more it costs in comparison to the car next to you.

But unlike Q7s X5s etc a Disco isn’t writing cheques it can’t cash, it can do what it says it can. Obviously if it has road tyres and those silly side steps which take all the ground clearence away that’s another matter…

emac65
    Free Member

Not this one,AGAIN ??????

I have the answer/s…………….

Inbred …………………

Conti Vert Pro’s……………..

Lifer
    Free Member

andrewh – Member

“And I’m pretty sure (although I have’t checked) that the environmental argument doesn’t stack up.”

Land Rover claim to be one of the best environmentaly. Something like 60% of the cars they have ever made are still running

Something like? Very scientific.

andrewh – Member
    It’s new cars which are more of a problem, not big cars.

Small old cars > Big old cars though.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 134 total)

The topic ‘Chelsea Tractors. Whats the point?’ is closed to new replies.