Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Chelsea and managers’ contracts…
  • jimmy

What am I missing here. Chelsea announce £66m loss, £23m of which is compensation to Mourinho and Grant, Scolari’s going to be getting much more I guess.

But what part of any manager’s contract gets to state “If I do a sh’t job, I want n million pounds to cover the rest of my contract”. Does this happen anywhere else in the business world? Banking no doubt, but I don’t see the logic.

dooosuk
    Free Member

£23m for Mourinho, Grant and all their associated coaches.

Scolari walked away with a £7.5m pay off I read yesterday.

I agree, it’s bizarre. You’d have thought they’d have clauses such as ‘we must be in the top 10 after 20 games’ or something as a performance target.

trailmonkey

Because the definition of a “sh’t job” is subjective and there are unlikely to be stipulations in the contract as to what is deemed “acceptable” ie top of league by January, still in ECL at knock out stage.
    Chances are that Scholari could have taken another well paid job in the summer and still be in charge of that club now if the owner wasn’t as idiotic as the one he’s just been working for.
    I hope he gets the rest of his contract paid in full.

jimmy

Oh yeah, and their coaches. Way to earn an easy buck boys. Sign a contract, **** it up, go on holiday for ever more courtesy of Abramovich (or do well and live with the week-in week-out stress, errrrrm…?).

FFS. I wish football didn’t wind me up so much.

jimmy

It is subjective, but shouldn’t that be in the contract to start with to avoid ridiculous payoff? I use sh’t job as a loose term as they are effectively being sacked for underperforming, however defined. If that was translated into a.another job – like my last IT contract, and I didn’t get work done within agreed time (instead 101% time) would I be able to claim the rest of my contract if sacked? No chance. Unless I was canny enough to agree those details, but which right-minded employee would sign up to that? I do think Abramovich is a prize tool, just going for big name managers expecting them to win everything for him but where’s the motivation for managers to perform?

Football managers contracts are still be subject to employment law, so what they walk away with in compensation will be roughly their wages for the term they were contracted for.

If he’d stayed for the full term and the team had performed well, he would probably have been entitled to even more money in performance related/win bonuses.

sofatester
    Free Member

#more money than sence in Football shocker#

andym
    Free Member

You agree to employ a manager for 24 months. You then decide to get rid of him after 1 year. You pay compensation.

They were dumb enough to get rid of Mourinho now they’ve learnt a very expensive lesson.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Chelsea and managers’ contracts…’ is closed to new replies.