Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Cheese disappearing – Tesco
  • plumber
    Free Member

Is it just my local Tesco and coop supermarket that has done away with the normal Cheshire, Lancashire, Wensleydale cheeses?

pisses me right off

50 shades of grey cheddar bollocks

I know its not the best quality cheese by a long shot but its my guilty pleasure

johndoh
    Free Member

Are you looking int he right places? It seems odd to stop selling such popular cheeses.

martinhutch

50 shades of grey cheddar bollocks

Whatever turns you on, I suppose.

My local one has stopped doing Mornflake Oats, which is sad.

johndoh
    Free Member

I got sad when the Co-op stopped selling their own brand choc-chip muesli.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The limited number of meat pastes too, dwindling all the time, bacon grill seems to have disappeared and you can’t get tinned steam puddings for love or money…

t**ts.

philjunior
    Free Member

Yeah it pisses me off when I can get 6 types of own brand cheddar, plus 10 named brands that are identical, but no Wensleydale.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

+1

Although the cheese counter in Morrisons is far far better, as is the selection of beer.

jools182
    Free Member

The local tesco seems to gradually stop stocking anything nice of any description

90% lindt, Yorkshire provender soup, lots of european beers seem to have disappeared, continental cheeses

jambalaya
    Free Member

Part of a (not so) gradual shift to own brand. Don’t shop there much any more as a result. TBH it’s a trend all over, we have noticed many brands we used to buy in French supermarkets have been replaced by lesser brands.

muddy_bum
    Free Member

It seems odd to stop selling such popular cheeses

Illchester, It’s staggeringly popular.

km79
    Free Member

…Morrisons is far far better, as is the selection of beer.

My local Morrisons has a beer festival thing on just now. Lots of ales from regional breweries and some further afield. Costing me a small fortune this last week or two.

BenjiM

I know its not the best quality cheese by a long shot but its my guilty pleasure

You’ll find that the majority of Lancashire, Wensleydale and Cheshire producers (us included) do produce high quality product and are sought after if they win awards at the shows. In fact some of the suppliers of supermarket own brand are farmhouse cheesemakers like us, e.g. Butlers, Singletons and Belton. There however has been a downturn in the sale of acid cheeses in the last 12 months with an increase in different types of cheddars and alternatives to traditional territorials such as Beltons Red Fox (a crunchy Red Leicester style cheese). There is also a greater choice of product out there so the consumer are trying more variations. Supermarkets are also swaying away from pre-pack portions and pushing product on deli-counters where you’ll tend to find your regional ranges.
    We’ve found our Crumbly and Creamy Lancs trads have dipped in sales but our additive cheese has made an unexpected surge of late.
    Whilst product may be labelled as own brand it usually states the provenance of the product in the case of the territorials. e.g. We put 4 territorials into Spar and our name is emblazoned across the front.

One of them is White Cheshire which we’ve won a few awards with so pop into your local Spar and you might be surprised 😉

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Just quit supporting supermarkets and start making the time to source decent stuff from small suppliers, even if it’s online.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

The sooner they stop making Sage Derby, the better. Absolute nightnmare cleaning the machines after production. 👿

BenjiM

Just quit supporting supermarkets and start making the time to source decent stuff from small suppliers, even if it’s online.

Even independents such as Ken Warne in Richmond? Surprisingly there are a lot of independent supermarkets still out there.

LS
    Free Member

Top marks!

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Richmond

LoL.

Yeah, Richmond would have independant supermarkets wouldn’t it.

binners

You have to resort to buying your cheese at Tesco? And they say that its civilised down there?

Just to remind you that the cheese stall on Rammy market on a Saturday has the best selection of cheeses ever. Just sayin’……

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWd9mqC80BU[/video]

😉

csb

Get thee to waitrose. Mind you, as long as co-op carry on stocking chaorce I’m happy.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Jesus **** christ Binners, someone needs to haul you into the ICC for posting that video.

slowoldman

“Have you got any?” he asked, expecting the answer “No”.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

someone needs to haul you into the ICC for posting that video.

Do you not delight in all manifestations of the Terpsichorean muse?

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Just to remind you that the cheese stall on Rammy market on a Saturday has the best selection of cheeses ever. Just sayin’……

Is Rammy Market safe for t`yonners ?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Au contraire, Binners.
    https://ripponcheeselondon.com

My old LCS. Epic.

edhornby

You lost me at tesco. I bet there are online cheese sellers

BenjiM

They’ve been a good customer for years! In fact you’d be hard pressed to find someone who isn’t!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Cheese disappearing – Tesco’ is closed to new replies.