Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Cheeky trails over Pule Hill near Marsden ?
  • DiscJockey
    Free Member

I’m trying to find a good way to get over Pule Hill, heading northbound from the top of Old Mount Road.

One of my favourite loops is from Marsden, along the canal to Eastergate (tunnel end), up to near Buckstones, Pennine bridleway to Standedge Edge, then to the cutting on the A62, then grassy descent down to steep river crossing onto Mount road, right at the junction with the top of Old Mount road.

What I want to do is find a trail that goes right over Pule Hill, and comes out on the A62 above Eastergate as I know a nice track that drops down to the river crossing. I know there’s a route through the farms, and the Colne Valley MTB Challenge comes up this, but they get special permission to access the ‘gap’ between house up onto the field. Seems a shame I can’t just do that in reverse…..or can I ?

Yorkshire-Pudding
    Free Member

I’ve never managed to find one and have looked pretty hard for this over the years, also looked as an alternative climb to Old Mount Road. Your route seems to do a lot of off road climbing for not a lot of good descents, have you tried it in reverse? Or what about extending and stay on the Pennine Way between the 2 reservoirs the drop down the flagged descent and round by the waterfall and into Wessenden and down from there.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

You can do the route above in reverse all the way to Standege, Pennine way all the way to Buckstones road, just before buckstones you can descend to Marsden on the old pack horse route, if theres been a few days of dry weather you can descend further on from the packhorse, this will take you down to March haigh reservoir, its the highest point so hard to miss, can be a struggle to ride over if ground is soaked. I have climbed Pule hill from the track that passes the back of the carriage house pub, we decended the steepest part back onto the track we climbed up on, it was dry wouldnt recommend in the wet, have you tried Marsden to Holmirth via Wessenden ?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    DiscJockey
    Free Member

Thanks Pud – yes, like you I’ve tried to find ways down, but with all the zig-zagging around the fields, and climbing over gates, I’ve given up. I’ve come down the Pennine Way before, as I also do the above route as a figure-of-eight where I climb up from Bin Lane to the top of Wessenden, turn right on the A640 towards Greenfield, and turn right onto the Pennine Way (I usually start with this loop early to avoid upsetting walkers). I know the waterfall you mean, so I might try that to make it a bit interesting.

I have noticed when doing the Buckstones/Standedge loop that I’m always the only person doing it anti-clockwise 😉 Perhaps I happen to like climbing 8)

Cheeky – what’s the route to Holmfirth then ? sounds worth a try…

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Marsden to Holmfirth

I can send you a route via email if you would prefer

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Hi Cheekyboy – yes please, it’s shown if you click on my username…that’ll be really kind of you.

Pud – I went up and left between the reservoirs. They’re putting new flagstones down at the moment, nice job too. I was pleasantly surprised overall – must be one of the longest flagstone lined paths I’ve seen anywhere.

It gets very steep at the final river crossing and the drop down to the valley floor. Please tell me that there’s no-one capable of riding that, or I might just give up riding bikes now 😉

riklegge

Disc jockey, do you mean the steep bit down to the river crossing just before heading round to the mast?
    Are you based in Marsden?

scuttler

Something here – http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/marsden-pule-hill

I’ve not done any riding over Pule but looking at the maps/Google Earth etc I’d suggest

1. Push up the front from the Carriage House or ride up the incline from the A62
    2. Ride along the top above the quarries and then head NE** (ENE for map fans) across the hillside to the square tower (dotted line on the 1:25k OS map, definitely a path on the ground)
    3. Contine down from the square tower and before the wall join the feint path (shows on the Google Earth) that contours around past the back of the Motorman’s cafe.
    4. Join the road and ride up until half way around the 90 degree bend and cut down between the metal rails down to Eastergate bridge – Standedge Trail appears to go that way.

** Google Earth suggests there might be a feint path continuing down the edge to Nab End quarry and then continue from 4 above.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

ricklegge – yes, that’s the one….steep drop down to rocky gulley across river, up to strange concrete square bed/mast. From the mast, I then tried the path down to the left, which was waaaaay too steep. Next time I might try the path off to the right that traverses the hill edge. It’s a longer way round, but potentially rideable – I think ?

My parents live in Marsden (I did live there myself for about a year, back in the late 90s) – they’re up near the cricket ground, above Butterly Reservoir. I love the trail along the top of Standage Edge. I always try a bit of ‘Akrigg’ up there and fail miserably 😉

Scuttler – thanks for that, I’ll have a read. That might work quite well as it’ll potentially bring me out onto the A62 at the exact point I drop down a steep grassy/rocky track between stone walls to Close Gate Bridge.

riklegge

Yes

down to rocky gulley across river, up to strange concrete square bed/mast. From the mast, I then tried the path down to the left, which was waaaaay too steep. Next time I might try the path off to the right that traverses the hill edge. It’s a longer way round, but potentially rideable – I think ?

That path is good. I’ve tried the steep one, made it 2/3 down then got scared! One for summer maybe… Standedge path and then packhorse descent is a fun loop. Let me know if you ever fancy heading out for a ride at any point.

sam3000

I’ve commented to remind me I must also experiment with routes around here. I generally stick to the cvmbc way round, missing the private steep field on non event days.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

DJ check your inbox I have sent a link, its on Mapometer let me know if it hasnt arrived or you cannot load.

jonnyrockymountain

See link I was walking up pule last week, there’s a track around pule that brings you out on the rough track above old mount road
    https://www.strava.com/activities/848280841/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1485700395

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Cheeky trails over Pule Hill near Marsden ?’ is closed to new replies.