Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Cheeky Peak. Abbey Brook?
  • jekkyl

Hey up, is riding Abbey Brook from Dukes Rd down to the res any good? Rocky singletrack?
    It’ll be a week day morning.
    Thanks.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Have PMed you…

seb84

I Would be interested to know this as well?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jekkyl

I’m doing it tomorrow, I’ll let you know.

Pook

It’s on my hit list for permissive access that.

Chris PDMTB

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Not sure about that particular one, but Dukes Road, all way up to when it splits into Abbey Brook and Carttledge Stones Ridge is terrible, terrible mess.

I turned back after a bit of a ploughing through…

Cheers!
    I.

benman
    Free Member

RE: Abbey Brook – Lost Lad and the continuation West down to the res is better.

docrobster
    Free Member

I seem to remember a flagged section at the top of dukes road from last time I walked up there, got us across most of the bog, right up until someone on an ebike came up behind and forced off the path into the peat bog. This was probably cartledge stones ridge I suppose rather than abbey brook?
    Looks a bit of a boggy mess tbh

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Yep…

Beginning of Dukes Road is nice and gravely I would say, but further down is mess, equivalent of Bog of Eternal Doom from Cut Gate but bigger and wider…

Cheers!
    I.

jekkyl

Well the pictures above don’t correlate with my experience yesterday but that was perhaps after some rain, yesterday things were a lot drier than that and I had a fantastic ride. I did a big loop, parked at the bottom of ladybower and went over Cutgate to Langsett, up a few miles of Tarmac to turn into Dukes Rd at the top.
    In my opinion Abbey Brook isn’t worth cycling. The turn off is very indistinct and is just before the rocks pictured above, I turned on the top of the rise but was soon able to see the path. The first part of the path you are clinging to a very narrow strip of path with a very sharp and steep drop off to your right, not very suitable for mtbing.
    Brook
    Then it gets a wee bit better.
    Bro
    After rounding and crossing a second brook the path opens out considerably and turns into a standard nearly double track with rocks and descends back down to the res. The sun was shining and taken as a whole ride I had a great time, I love exploring desolate spots but I won’t ever cycle Abbey Brook again. Last time I did this loop I did ride to back tor, Derwent Edge and that is a whole load of slabs and doesn’t provide much excitement either.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Yeah, mine was in April xD

Cheers!
    I.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Cheeky Peak. Abbey Brook?’ is closed to new replies.