Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)
  • Cheeky and disrespectful propaganda from the Argies…
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

rewski – Member

@ GrahamS – you might want to cross that tick out, you’re examples are just piffy adverts to tap into the british male consciousness, not in the same league, the video in the op was unauthorised, disrespectful and well made piece of propaganda to stir up the Argentine people, maybe a storm in a tea cup or maybe a catalyst for something far more serious, time will tell.

What utter piffle. The constant references to the war are jingoistic claptrap and highly disrespectful and cheeky

And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother’s eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

project
    Free Member

Storm in a teacup, or a small island illegally re-invaded by the uk.

All propoganda by the ones in power to take peoples minds off the sad state of the ecconomy and their failure in the local elections.

trailmonkey

The resolutions of the UN say it is a colony

And handing sovereignty over to Argentina will resolve this

yossarian
    Free Member

rewski
    Free Member

The constant references to the war are jingoistic claptrap and highly disrespectful and cheeky

Yes I agree, I just think those beer ads aren’t in the same league as the video. It’s a different argument.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Well that is really logical isn’t it

Do you know how many died in WW2?

konabunny
    Free Member

Oh yeah you’re right, we film ourselves limbering up in front of german war memorials dont we.

FFS
    It’s wound you up a treat, so it’s done its job.

GrahamS

All propoganda by the ones in power to take peoples minds off the sad state of the ecconomy and their failure in the local elections.

Eh?

So the ConDems orchestrated a cheeky Argentine Olympics commercial?
    How would that work exactly?

retro83
    Free Member

What utter piffle. The constant references to the war are jingoistic claptrap and highly disrespectful and cheeky

You seem to have rather missed the point that one is an advert (albeit in somewhat bad taste) from a private company for beer and the other is propaganda from the government. Secondly we were not the aggressors in that war so I’m not sure how you consider the sentiment ‘jingoistic’.

GrahamS – Member
    Eh?

So the ConDems orchestrated a cheeky Argentine Olympics commercial?
    How would that work exactly?

😆

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I think youll find that the Spitfire beer ad has been banned so you cant have that as an example..

Besides however you cut it that vid is a piece of propaganda – nothing more nothing less & should be treated as such. Its a piece of tub-thumping, sabre clashing tat (gosh does that sound like someone who has a distaste for colonial attitudes? Methinks not..)

For me it shows just how desperate they are becoming in trying to force the issue. Its cheap & tasteless.

The ads were just, some might say, in bad taste..

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother’s eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

GrahamS

I think youll find that the Spitfire beer ad has been banned so you cant have that as an example..

You mean the adverts prominently displayed on the spitfire website? They’re all banned are they?

emsz
    Free Member

Couldn’t care about the falklands or Argentina TBH

notlocal
    Free Member

Let the Argies settle in the Falklands. But only on the land behind the fences surrounding the unmapped minefields they left behind. And only if they clear the mines by hand.

mcboo
    Free Member

Happily TJ believes in self determination for the Falkland Islanders and the Scots.

rewski
    Free Member

I’d rather you just called us hypocrites rather than quoting some rubbish from the bible.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

This debate has been well and truly STWed at this stage, but the threads are a nice reminder of who the tough guys are.

pingu66
    Free Member

As it was done in secret can we assume that they landed at dawn and managed to get into the heart of Port Stanley. They met no resistance of any sort and descrated a war memorial.

Suprised nobody else thinks this is a more serious attempt at testing our defenses and resolve, or are we just holding our British stiff upper lips till after the Olympics

mrlebowski
    Free Member

They’re all banned are they?

Yes they were in some areas beer

Anyway changes nothing the Argie vid is a tasteless peice of propaganda however you slice it.

Junkyard
    Free Member

beats chest, flexes guns and hopes to make it on DD’s list

zokes
    Free Member

Has anyone TJ mentioned Diego Garcia yet?

GrahamS

Has anyone TJ mentioned Diego Garcia yet?

Is that the film from “I’m Sorry I Haven’t A Clue”? 😉

jota180
    Free Member

As it was done in secret can we assume that they landed at dawn and managed to get into the heart of Port Stanley.

I don’t believe there are any restrictions on Argentinians visiting the Falklands, so I guess they just turned up the normal way [whatever that is]

slowmart
    Free Member

It’s not unknown for unpolpular governments to misdirect focus of their electorate onto emotive subjects which binds them together against a common foe and evil force…………….

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/apr/17/argentina-oil

The aspect which frustrates me is that people keep falling for the same tune

donsimon
    Free Member

The aspect which frustrates me is that people keep falling for the same tune

+1
    I’m quite sure the Argies are training on Argie soil hoping that they will be able do well on english soil. Not sure how 1 bloke running around Port Stanley fits into all that. 😕 😀

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Next up – video of Kirchner threatening to “jump up and down and thkweam and thkweam until I’m sick” unless we let them have the islands get their hands on the oil.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Is that the film from “I’m Sorry I Haven’t A Clue”?

Nice 😀

Argies are training on Argie soil hoping that they will be able do well on english soil.

I thought it was the British Olympics surprised to hear a welsh man say that tbh [not baiting] but it grates to hear folk say england when they mean britain

donsimon
    Free Member

I’m quoting the ad. 😉

Para competir en suelo inglés,
    entranemos en suelo argentino

And for the record, isn’t the official title the London Olympics, not British? 😛

pingu66
    Free Member

I believe its the London Olympics, not English nor British.

Junkyard
    Free Member

show off trilingual 😳

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Disrespectful?

Was that said whilst making a gun shape with your hand held on it’s side, and do you by any chance wear a hoodie, and wear your oversize trousers with no belt and sneakers with no laces like a death row prisoner?

CountZero

don simon – Member
    I’m quoting the ad.
    Para competir en suelo inglés,
    entranemos en suelo argentino

And for the record, isn’t the official title the London Olympics, not British?

Yep, in the same way that these were:
    1896 – Athens, Greece
    1900 – Paris, France
    1904 – St. Louis, United States
    1908 – London, United Kingdom
    1912 – Stockholm, Sweden
    1916 – Scheduled for Berlin, Germany*
    1920 – Antwerp, Belgium
    1924 – Paris, France
    1928 – Amsterdam, Netherlands
    1932 – Los Angeles, United States
    1936 – Berlin, Germany
    1940 – Scheduled for Tokyo, Japan*
    1944 – Scheduled for London, United Kingdom* 1948 – London, United Kingdom
    1952 – Helsinki, Finland
    1956 – Melbourne, Australia
    1960 – Rome, Italy
    1964 – Tokyo, Japan
    1968 – Mexico City, Mexico
    1972 – Munich, West Germany (now Germany)
    1976 – Montreal, Canada
    1980 – Moscow, U.S.S.R. (now Russia)
    1984 – Los Angeles, United States
    1988 – Seoul, South Korea
    1992 – Barcelona, Spain
    1996 – Atlanta, United States
    2000 – Sydney, Australia
    2004 – Athens, Greece
    2008 – Beijing, China
    2012 – London, United Kingdom
    2016 – Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    The Games are always named after the city, not the country, where they take place. Any fewl no that.

konabunny
    Free Member

I thought it was the British Olympics … it grates to hear folk say england when they mean britain

The Olympics are taking place on English soil, though, aren’t they? Are there any events taking place outside England? And, if you’re going to be pedantic about it, aren’t the events that the featured sportspeople are competing in taking place on English soil?

It grates hear folk misplace their pedantry. 😉

donsimon
    Free Member

It grates hear folk misplace their pedantry.

You’ll be happy for me to inform you that the Millennium Stadium is NOT in england, no? 😉

allmountainventure
    Free Member

What tires for war memorials?

mudmuncher

send in the MACC LADS!!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS1Fr4zJgBo[/video]

pingu66
    Free Member

Koanbunny when someone is corrcetd we become pedants, how about getting the title of the olymipcs wrong and then someone defending it with well its actually in England. Thats really idiotic and quite pathetic. Learn to accept that people can be wrong including you. But to compound it you suggest we are pedants for correcting something an get it wrong that its “all” in England.

konabunny
    Free Member

You Celts are all so bloody bad-tempered, aren’t you?

Ask a simple question like

Are there any events taking place outside England?

and you get a torrent of snot. Bizarre that you short-fused Gaels are so quick to want to correct the use of the term “English Olympics” with the equally-inaccurate “London Olympics” (if an event is not taking place in England then a fortiori it’s not taking place in London). Must be that massive chip on your shoulders that’s making you see things wonky.

donsimon
    Free Member

Koanbunny when someone is corrcetd we become pedants, how about getting the title of the olymipcs wrong and then someone defending it with well its actually in England. Thats really idiotic and quite pathetic. Learn to accept that people can be wrong including you. But to compound it you suggest we are pedants for correcting something an get it wrong that its “all” in England.

I don’t know where to start.

Junkyard
    Free Member

It grates hear folk misplace their pedantry

pretty sure England is in Britain and we only have a British Olympic association so a country from Britain enters the bidding but it will remain a British bid whichever part of the great nation the majority of the events take place. England did not bid as they cannot but perhaps they won or perhaps the English are arrogant..its a tough one I will think about it on my bike ride 😉
    And some folk thing this forum is boring yet we can debate big issues like this 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘Cheeky and disrespectful propaganda from the Argies…’ is closed to new replies.