Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Check your deeds YOU maybe liable to pay Chancel repairs
  • grantway
    Free Member

Wise checking as you maybe liable to pay a percentage towards a Church near you !
    And could be even worse as some Church properties are Grade 1 listed.
    The bigger the land the more you contribute.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/research-guides/chancel-repairs.htm#30363

The church are also appointing historians to search if no register found

grahamt1980

Thats why a lot of solicitors now include a chancel search when you buy a house. Ours was checked and we are clear.

spacemonkey

+1 wot Graham says.

Surely no one is going to come after you retrospectively, ie if you’ve been living somewhere for x years. Likewise solicitors must surely cough up if they fail to search properly.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Goes against my beliefs, I’ll play the R&R card (race & religion).

Dickyboy

chancel repair insurance – but if you make any investigations with the local church to see if you may be liable your insurance is invalid, nice little earner then… 👿

footflaps

Surely no one is going to come after you retrospectively, ie if you’ve been living somewhere for x years.

Yep they have and taken the owners to court for £100,000s in repair bills!

fisha
    Free Member

Just having a quick read of the wall banks story … Beggars belief … I think that law is disgusting in these days.

teethgrinder

Honestly, I’d burn the **** church down.

dannyh
    Free Member

Yep, if you buy a house, especially in older parts of settlement, the solicitors will most likely do this for you (for a fee of course).

I think you can also take out some kind of insurance policy that limits any future claim, but I might be making that up!

footflaps

I think that law is disgusting in these days.

Technically the solicitor was negligent for not identifying it as a risk. It’s not like it’s a new law or anything..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Check your deeds YOU maybe liable to pay Chancel repairs’ is closed to new replies.