Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Check my logic – bent hanger?
  • BillOddie

Having a right old ‘mare with my gears.

Replaced the cassette (10 speed 11-42 Sunrace), chainring (30T uber components) and chain (stainless wippermann) a couple of weeks back. I previously put the rubbish shifting down to everything being a bit (read: very) worn, not sure that was the case.

I swapped the cassette and chainring for the same sizes.

I can get the indexing 95% there but not quite good enough.

I have checked the limit screws, and the barrel adjuster and i can’t get the shifting to be reliable up and down across the entirety of the cassette.

I have changed the cable inner and outer and even swapped out the rear mech.
    Both of those improved matters slightly but not so much that I’m now happy.

Shifter is a couple of months old…so reasonably sure it’s not that.

Next thing to check is the hanger I reckon, which seeing as it’s a steel frame is non-replaceable but i’ll be able to easily bend it back with a hanger alignment tool (ordered)…

Sound right?

I’ve built 10s of bikes and replaced countless drivetrains and this is the first time I have had an issue with steel mech hanger. I suspect i might have just been a bit lucky?

andyl
    Free Member

hanger, bent mech or wheel not in the drop out right (or broken axle) would be top of my list if I was sure my adjustments were correct.

twinklydave

Worn jockey wheels with too much side to side play in the bushings/bearings?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

What rear mech?

BillOddie

Tried XT (from previous set up) and SLX ( brand new) both long cage.

The XT worked perfectly on previous set up errr previously.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

10 Spd xt mech. Previous cassette a 42 too?

Edit I see they were now.

Looked at b tension?

BillOddie

B Tension screwed all the way in.

bigblackshed

The first thing should always be mech hanger when any drive train work or replacement is done. Otherwise you could be pissing in the wind not knowing if that bit is right or not.

spesh
    Free Member

Have you tried bleeding your brakes ? 😉

BillOddie

Well, my logic was correct, the hanger was bent not enough to really see by eye but enough.

10 mins with the Park DAG-2.2 today got the hanger back in line (it was 8mm out at the rim, so about 1.5mm at the hanger) and now I have nice shifting.

Checked the wife’s bike that was stolen and subsequently recovered and that one was a bit out too.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Check my logic – bent hanger?’ is closed to new replies.