Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Cheapy eBay folding bikes – any experiences?
  • IHN

I’m going to be starting work in the big city soon, which will be a train journey in. The stations a 20 minute walk from home and the office is a 20 minute walk from the station, so I’m thinking of getting a folder to cut down those times a bit.

Obviously, a Brompton would be lovely, but they’re dashed pricey.

eBay has a plethora of folders for about (or less than) £100, anyone had any experiences?

mrhoppy

My olds will be selling their bromptons soon as they’ve got new ones on the way, don’t know what they are looking for yet but could find out if you want.

IHN

Yeah, why not 🙂

IHN

Quick bump for the Thursday morning crowd. Assuming I don’t manage to pick up one of Mummy or Daddy Hoppy’s Bromptons for a song, anyone seen/used one of the cheap ones?

marcus
    Free Member

Si, My parents had a couple of folding bikes on the boat. If they still have them now the boat is sold, I cant imagine they are used much. – I will enquire and report back.

IHN

Ooh, smashing 🙂

jaylittle
    Free Member

I worked for a company that sold ‘entry level’ bikes including folding bikes, we were always getting them sent back due to poor build quality. Defo better off getting a good quality used one.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

They’re pants. It’s amazing that they can squeeze them down to that price, but that doesn’t make them good.

I’d get 2 cheap hybrids with bolt on wheels and two decent locks. Park one at each station and then you don’t have to annoy your fellow passengers.

hounslow
    Free Member

Working in the location that i do we see quite a few cheap ‘chinese’ folders (large asian population nearby). They are dreadful, heavy, flexy and use non-standard parts fairly often. I would avoid, and if cheap is what you are after then an entry level Dahon or Dahon-made Raleigh.

MartynS

There is a free bus from your big city station to your fancy glass fronted place of work.. Oh and 20 minutes from your stately home to the iron horse stop…. You going the servants route?

sc-xc

My wife’s grandad bought a cheap folder – it was awful. As in un-rideably awful…

You’ll end up buying a Brompton or Dahon…might as well do it sooner rather than later.

mrhoppy

Appears mummy and daddy Hoppy had got busy on EBay, and bugger me they’re expensive.

simonbea
    Free Member

I’ve been in the same predicament recently albeit my need is only occasional. I’ve decided that if I can’t afford something decent I’m not going to bother, I’ve also discovered this at Oxford station that I may make use of http://www.bromptondock.co.uk/

codybrennan
    Free Member

This:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_237731_langId_-1_categoryId_165577

…is much better than the price would have you believe. Light-ish, folds well, can go fast.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Dahon Mu Uno’s (singlespeed) ones come up every now and again for a good price.

trail_rat
    Free Member

http://www.halfords.nl/shop/fietsen/vouwfietsen/103581
    I had one of these for 6 months. used to ride back and forward to the office fromthe hotel between den helder and de brug – 7 km miles each way.

rode well for 99 euros – and ive used alot of expensive folders.

good way to see if you would use it to its full extent before splashing out on something good.

bentudder

A former colleague of mine commmutes to the smoke from Northamptonshire and goes through a couple of cheap folders a year. She’s been using them for five years. She always pulls my leg for buying an expensive Brompton for £750 two years ago (It paid for itself in saved tube fares within nine months). She spends about £400 a year on cheap folders and on getting them fixed when they break. So, so far, enough for more than two brand new Bromptons.

I’ve not tried Dahons or Terns, but, aside from the omnipresent Bromptons (usually at least four on the 7.31 from Dorking each morning, with more boarding along the way), they’re the ones you see more than once or twice. Buy a super cheap one and you’ll find a couple of things:

1) The fold is not that small – a serious consideration on a commuter train that may already be crowded when you get on

2) They’re as flexy as.

I’d strongly recommend you try a more expensive folder. I borrowed a demo Brompton from my local dealer, Cycleworks, for a week to give the whole thing a try. I had to put down a £200 deposit, which was returnable.

If you just buy a cheap folder to see what it’s like, the chances are you will be put off. It really is a case of getting what you pay for, and a cheap ‘un will robably put you off the whole idea.

My advice? Borrow or demo a couple of the spendier folders. You will get the money back in saved tube fares in no time.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Cheapy eBay folding bikes – any experiences?’ is closed to new replies.