Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Cheapskate Z2s
  • Premier Icon cloggy

Just had a phone conversation with my bike shop
    I took my Z2s in for servicing, and they are shot.
    Apparently they didn’t come with foam rings under the seals. They can be put in at the first service but aren’t OEM
    As a result moisture has got in and that has led to scoring. I took them in as they’ve never been very supple and clicked at the top of the travel, and I thought a service and changing the seals to Fox ones might help. The bike shop had a conversation with Zocchi and were informed that Z2 bushes are one with the fork. They are not replaceable. Frankly they were not impressed with the product or the attitude…
    So if any of you like me, were under the impression that this fork is a quality product, well they’ve cut corners. It’s not a Fox Rhythm with with a damper change as lots of lazy useless journos informed us.
    I remember Chipps once saying that journalism was the refuge of the unemployable.
    This is a public service announcement.

Premier Icon dc1988
    Free Member

It seems mad to not put foam rings in for the sake of a few pence, however I’m not sure that would lead to moisture getting in or scoring. The foam rings dry out soon enough if you don’t service frequently or invert the fork.

Premier Icon joebristol

If this is the 1st service then presumably they are quite new and under warranty? Surely they shouldn’t be scored / ruined that quickly regardless of price?

Premier Icon dlr
    Free Member

Step 34 here suggests they have replaceable bushes and foam rings as normal?

https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=1052&_ga=2.266244495.1490664587.1637858981-929533620.1637858981

Not that I’m on their side. I have a set which came on my new bike. Rebound went all random/non existent after a few rides so sent them back, nearly 4 weeks with no forks for my new bike, they came back……….same issue, sent off again at which point rage took over and I bought some Zebs, few weeks later the Z2s came back again. I need to test them but again they have only replaced the uppers and said all OK as like the numerous other times I’ve had fork issues, these places only test them on the bench, not an extended test. I’m 99% certain they will have the same problem as it’s a tolerance issue on the lowers where the rebound part/oil goes. Ho hum.

Premier Icon HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I’m not sure what’s happened here, but surely they still work even with the scoring?

Premier Icon cloggy

Well I might have asked for them back but I never sold the 35s the Big Dog came with. I have used them for one winter. I have a Scandel with s/h [and perfect] Rhythms for summer.
    The Z2s were not supple and never held air well. The Scandal jarred me far less coming down Hergest Ridge. At Nant Yr Arian the Z2s were fine.

Premier Icon kelvin

It’s not a Fox Rhythm with with a damper change as lots of lazy useless journos informed us.

Are you not thinking of the Z1? That shares a lot with the Fox 36, especially the Rhythm versions. The Z2 is very much its own thing.

Premier Icon cloggy

No I’m not.
    Externally the Z2 and Rhythm look almost interchangeable.
    As for the Fox Z2 rebuild kit , no bushes are mentioned.
    The Z2 is very much it’s own thing, unfortunately…

Premier Icon cloggy

I guess they’ve done about 150 hours, [service interval 125] getting on for that anyway. But I rode a lot on the back lanes in the winter with them locked out. Then they sat in a corner all summer whilst I rode my other bike. This relevent as they spent a lot of time with the stanchions in the same position. And they have corroded between the lip seals and the top of the bushes, which have rust on the top edges of them. I haven’t put a magnet on them but am wondering if the bushes are steel, seeing as how they may be cast into the legs.
    I should have had them serviced earlier but…… They needed taking apart in calender terms, not riding hours. And I didn’t do it.

Premier Icon HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Maybe it’s the road salt that killed them.

Bikester have a lot of forks on sale at the moment.

Premier Icon ajt123
    Free Member

SR Suntour good value.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.