Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Cheapo bike computer
  • squirrelking
    Free Member

I’m busy trying to get fit and all that nonsense (I’m still young, only old farts need to train etc.) and have discovered my road bike may not be the hated thing I thought it was. Either way, I’m in the market for a basic cycle computer. Nothing fancy, no connectivity, power meters or GPS nonsense. Just speed and cadence. Cadence really but speed is a given.

I see you can pick up cheap Bikehut units and I imagine Decathlon would do something similar. Being able to easily swap between bikes is a bonus but ultimately I’m looking for something as bombproof, wire free and cheap to run (rechargeable batteries would be nice) as possible. I realise I may need to compromise on the wires, none of the requirements are absolutes (barring bombproof) , just nice to have.

Fire at will…

Ta, Dave

twowheels
    Free Member

No specific recommendation just a comment:

If you want wireless with cadence the price jump to a iRandomFooChinese GPS unit with ANT+, USB charging and generic cadence sensor is small.

[You then have the option of adding a HRM or whatever later if you change your mind about training]

sarawak
    Free Member

I’ve got an igpsport50. I’m in the process of moving over to a Garmin 520.
    The present one works well. Records accurately. Has ANT connections for HRM and cadence,but I’ve never used them. In theory it uploads direct to Strava via an app: but the app is crappppp. Really the worst app in Christendom.

Wireless and works on GPS. Rechargeable. Bombproof.

It’s a good computer but PIA to keep plugging in. Hence my up grade.

Retail on Amazon for £85. Once I get used to the Garmin you can have it for £25. Sounds to be just what you are after.

twowheels
    Free Member

@Sarawak – the iGPSport50 is exactly what I’ve been looking at (and what I based my comment above on – they’re on eBay/aliexpress for £50ish). Thanks for the comments. I had hoped the app would sync painlessly with Strava though 🙁

Just to check – did you try uploading directly to Strava through the app, or was it so much hassle you gave up and stuck with connecting to your PC?

thenorthwind

I buy the cheapest one from Halfords (~£5). Cheap enough that you can buy two or three, put the mounts on different bikes, and keep the other units as spares. Only does speed, trip, odometer, and clock, but that’s all I want. Never have to worry about charging the battery, syncing it to anything, etc. No cadence, but I guess you’d need another sensor for that.

sarawak
    Free Member

@twowheels…I’ve tried the app till I’m fed up with it. Latest version allows me to upload, then I have to uninstall and reinstall before I can use it again. ‘tinterweb is full of derogatory comments about the app.

I’ve had long email discussions with them and they can’t get it right.

It’s a good unit but having to resort to switching my PC on and connecting to a cable is getting to be PIA. The world has moved on from that.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Hmm, looking at it the Cateye Padrone Smart computers look like they would fit the bill for not much more money and all the advantages of wireless. I thought the price jump would be more pronounced, guess not.

Sarawak, cheers for the offer, I’ll do a bit more digging and perhaps get back to you if the Cateye looks like a non-starter.

twowheels
    Free Member

Thanks for clarifying @sarawak . If squirrelking doesn’t want it I’d be interested at £25 (either to use as a dumb head unit or reverse engineer the app when I get chance!).

sarawak
    Free Member

twowheels

Thanks for clarifying @sarawak . If squirrelking doesn’t want it I’d be interested at £25 (either to use as a dumb head unit or reverse engineer the app when I get chance!).

Well it’s going spare now I’m up and running with the 520. Guess it’s all done to who sends me the first PM!

sarawak
    Free Member

@twowheels

Replied to your PM.

butcher

Used to have a Cateye Strada Cadence which I liked a lot. Never had anything easier to use, before or since. Pedal went through the wire of the cadence sensor eventually, so go for the wireless version.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Cheapo bike computer’ is closed to new replies.