Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Cheapish Android phone of the moment – with wi-fi calling?
  • boombang
    Free Member

Seen some great info before on here about what the best budget Android phone of the moment is.

I have a Moto G6, has been decent for the most part and good value for money, if a little buggy – not enough to put me off another Motorola phone though. It has suffered from getting wet when riding though and people just can’t hear me properly anymore.

I bought a Samsung A50 in the sales just before Xmas (£130 after trade in allowance) but it turned up with a rattle from inside and they had no stock to replace it so it went back for a refund. Looks like they are back up to £300+ now.

Anyhow anyone got a steer on what’s decent? Ideally nearer the £100 mark, similar size to the G6, wi-fi calling, fast charging and a battery that lasts all day.

BillOddie

Wi-Fi calling can be restricted by service provider.

e.g. Three have a list of phones that they support for wi-fi calling, it’s basically Apple and Samsung.

http://www.three.co.uk/discover/three_intouch

It was particularly a pain for those of us with phones not on the list who had coverage black spots in their house when they turned off their Three In Touch app.

nickjb
    Free Member

The wife has just bought a G7 power. £130 form John Lewis. Seems pretty good for the money. Battery life is very good. Easily two days with heavy use. It is big though. Maybe one of the slightly smaller ones with less battery might be more suitable if that is an issue. Even half the battery life would be good.

frogstomp

@BillOddie and the OP : worth asking your mobile provider if they have have a hardware solution if Wifi calling is not compatible with your phone. I have no signal at home and Three sent me out a Home Signal box which does the job over broadband. Then you can pick the handset you want..

boombang
    Free Member

Is vodafone, I found their list of wi-fi supported phones and it limits my options hugely. Their ‘Sure Signal’ is £70 too so makes a new phone more palatable.

Can’t believe this many years down the line this is still a problem that hasn’t been cheaply sorted.

Semi-rural living might be pleasant but it’s crap for communications.

frogstomp

Their ‘Sure Signal’ is £70 too so makes a new phone more palatable.

@boombang
    if you’ve been with them a while give them a ring and ask if they’ll do one for free. Often they will as long as you return the hardware if you leave.

boombang
    Free Member

I’ll try that. Am 7 or so months into a 12 month SIM only deal. Would move elsewhere but (from testing with PAYG SIMs) Vodafone have the best signal in my house – just has huge blackspots and signal drop outs.

BillOddie

@BillOddie and the OP : worth asking your mobile provider if they have have a hardware solution if Wifi calling is not compatible with your phone. I have no signal at home and Three sent me out a Home Signal box which does the job over broadband. Then you can pick the handset you want..

My phone was on the way out anyway so I just bought a reasonably priced iPhone 8.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Cheapish Android phone of the moment – with wi-fi calling?’ is closed to new replies.